• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Much changes over the years.

8 posts in this topic

Tell us a little about this "coin."

Were you searching for it, do the TPGs grade these things, can they be found without the hole-punch, what is its diameter, and what did it cost?

To find one of these without the hole-punch… well, it would make a great poker-hand down-cards "cap."

On 11/26/2022 at 2:17 PM, USAuPzlBxBob said:

Tell us a little about this "coin."

Were you searching for it, do the TPGs grade these things, can they be found without the hole-punch, what is its diameter, and what did it cost?

To find one of these without the hole-punch… well, it would make a great poker-hand down-cards "cap."

I don't know much about it. I found it at a show about 30 years ago. I paid 10 cents for it. About the size of a half dollar. 

On 11/26/2022 at 3:17 PM, USAuPzlBxBob said:

Attached is a similar one.  I'm from NY so it's kind of fitting to have one.  I think the prohibition token may have been made with a hole for a keychain, and maybe given out as promotional items by liquor companies.  I also saw another similar one on the HA site with the following description:

• 1855 New York Prohibition, brass, 28mm, obverse features inverted drinking glass with legends STATE OF NEW YORK/NO REPEAL/JULY 4, 1855, reverse has wreath border and legends TO/COMMEMORATE/THE PASSAGE/OF THE/PROHIBITORY/LIQUOR/LAW, holed as issued, brown and greenish verdigris; and an 1855 New York Prohibition AU50, brass, 28mm, types as previous, much original color.

It indicated "holed as issued" in the HA listing, and they appear to be similarly holed.

1855 State of NY Prohibition Commemortive Token.jpg

1855 State of NY Prohibition Commemortive Token Note.jpg

1855 Temperance Token HA.jpg

Edited by EagleRJO