• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What would cause a rim such as this?
1 1

20 posts in this topic

Has a Feuchtwangerish-look to it.  Don't know what caused the Fat Bruised Lip [FBL] but if I had one, this would be my favorite.  Yes, above and beyond my finest Rooster!  (Maybe too little starch in the collar.)  :whistle:

On 11/21/2022 at 10:24 AM, Quintus Arrius said:

Has a Feuchtwangerish-look to it.  Don't know what caused the Fat Bruised Lip [FBL] but if I had one, this would be my favorite.  Yes, above and beyond my finest Rooster!  (Maybe too little starch in the collar.)  :whistle:

Why do you think it's a Fuchtwanger?  Doesn't look anything like the pics in the Redbook.  Am I missing something?

On 11/21/2022 at 11:53 AM, NewGuy1 said:

Why do you think it's a Fuchtwanger?  Doesn't look anything like the pics in the Redbook.  Am I missing something?

Not a Feuchtwanger. Just Feuchtwangerish. He banged his out in his pharmacy at a time when it was not illegal to do so.  There were thousands made from different die casts. That was a key date: 1837.  Copper cents and three-cent German silvers.  I do not believe I half ever seen a one-half cent piece. (I have never owned one.) Very lovely!

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Correct misspelling.

On 11/21/2022 at 11:14 AM, Quintus Arrius said:

Not a Feuchtwanger. Just Feuchtwangerish. He banged his out in his pharmacy at a time when it was not illegal to do so.  There were thousands made from different die casts. That was a key date: 1837.  Copper cents and three-cent German silvers.  I do not believe I half ever seen a one-half cent piece. (I have never owned one.) Very lovely!

I own a different one, but a half cent sized Hard Times Token is the first one I owned. (None of this is responsive to the OP’s rim question, BTW.)

On 11/21/2022 at 12:19 PM, VKurtB said:

I own a different one, but a half cent sized Hard Times Token is the first one I owned. (None of this is responsive to the OP’s rim question, BTW.)

My uneducated guess was "too little starch in the collar."  (The last time I expounded on shifting tectonic plates, etc., the "Outta here" gentleman eviscerated me.)  What's your take?

On 11/21/2022 at 11:28 AM, Quintus Arrius said:

My uneducated guess was "too little starch in the collar."  (The last time I expounded on shifting tectonic plates, etc., the "Outta here" gentleman eviscerated me.)  What's your take?

My take is it was the 1830’s and these were made privately. Opens the possibilities wide. 

Looks at little like an 1837 HT with multiple strikes and not a MAD.  Attached is one with a clean strike.  Like there looks to be two distinctly different rim strikes near the date on the op's coin.

1837 HT Copper Half Cent.jpg

Edited by EagleRJO

On 11/21/2022 at 1:30 PM, EagleRJO said:

Looks at little like an 1837 HT with multiple strikes and not a MAD.  Attached is one with a clean strike.  Like there looks to be two distinctly different rim strikes near the date on the op's coin.

1837 HT Copper Half Cent.jpg

I see a DWI at 11 o' clock and 3 o' clock, on the reverse, and at 6:30 on the obverse.  What caused it? Beats me.

I'm just spitballing too since it didn't really look like just mis-aligned dies.  Maybe a strike and then a shift towards the 11 o'clock for a full second strike on the obv, and a strike and then a shift towards 7 o'clock for a full second strike on the rev?

Would be good to know the die rotation if any between the obv and rev.  But where is a Rota-Flip when ya need one. (shrug)

Coin Die Rotation - Rota-Flip.jpg

Edited by EagleRJO

Cuticles denticles... I love 'em all.  But I am not prepared to go the PMD route, just yet.  There is no accounting what can occur behind the closed doors of an unlicensed makeshift mobile mint. (Too bad Ol'hoop ain' aroun' to offer up an authoritative finding.) :roflmao:

For anyone curious, the correct answer was posted on another forum within 5 hours of Larry asking the question - instead of 3 days of gibberish and postulation on this forum. 

There was little nonsense, no smoke blowing, and no bloviation. 

PM me if you want to know the answer. 

Certain "members" need not apply. 

Edited by physics-fan3.14

Q.A.:  I can take a hint...

🐓 :  Not to worry.  The devil is in the details:  "Five hours," ... "Larry," ...  We can do this Q!  Time to vamoose!  [I will divulge the answer in short order!] 

[Edit:  Still digging an hour later...  To the OP:  Would it be a breach of national security to disclose the name of the "other forum" alluded to by another illustrious member so we can all go home tonite?]

Edited by Quintus Arrius
A plea for time.

On 11/23/2022 at 6:17 PM, physics-fan3.14 said:

For anyone curious, the correct answer was posted on another forum within 5 hours of Larry asking the question - instead of 3 days of gibberish and postulation on this forum. 

There was little nonsense, no smoke blowing, and no bloviation. 

PM me if you want to know the answer. 

Certain "members" need not apply. 

Saw it on the other site too and it looked like the right answer with the little I know

On 11/24/2022 at 9:39 AM, NewGuy1 said:

Saw it on the other site too and it looked like the right answer with the little I know

What site, mate?  Been up all nite looking for this!  Why all the hush-hush?  Now it's Thanksgiving... and I'm still getting reamed over a rim!