• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bust Quarter. Do you agree with the grade?

13 posts in this topic

I don't collect these myself, so I'm not as familiar as some others might be. 

I'd say, from consulting Photograde, that 20 might be a bit low. 30 might be warranted, but that's probably as high as I'd consider. 

So, a touch conservative but not outlandish. 

Draped Bust quarters can be difficult to grade due to striking weakness. This one appears to have been fairly well struck and correctly graded in the VF range per the current ANA grading guide (7th edition).  It could grade a little higher in that range today, though the motto (E PLURIBUS UNUM) is a little weak.

PCI, now defunct, was a legitimate though lesser-known grading service in its green (numerical grade) and red (details grade) label days.  A dealer told me that he had purchased an 1879-CC Morgan dollar graded MS 61 in a green border PCI holder and had cracked it out and submitted it to PCGS.  It came back graded MS 63!  The pieces in the gold border holders date from after PCI had been acquired by a dealer who largely and unethically used PCI's name and equipment to (over)grade his own inventory.  As I recall, he was ultimately convicted of fraud.

My personal opinion is that VF20 is fair, the details could support a bit higher grade,  but I think the graders took into account some heavy (thou most are old and toned over) marks and gave it a silent net grade.   I would not be overly surprised if it graded higher today.

I know nothing about this series but disagree with the grade.  Unfortunately, my opinion does not count.  If it makes economic sense to have it re-submitted, by all means do so.

yes @Sandon that is an old PCI holder and back in the days of the green holders they were very conservative.   I think now a days she would at least go one grade higher.  i love looking for these old Green PCI holders you can get some real gems in them if you look carefully

On 11/20/2022 at 7:59 AM, Moxie15 said:

I don't know if I should say this as the last time I gave my opinion I was informed I was senselessly bashing....

[And here I was thinking it had something to do with a crack I made a few years back, that "Moxie has moxie."  You're a dues-paying member. You have a right to express your opinion! Welcome back, again!]

Looks good to me; you could cross it to a service that accepts crossovers in the holder submissions.  PCGS does that, ICG does, and probably Anacs as well.  NGC will only cross PCGS coins if they pass muster.

The last time I submitted encapsulated coins for cross-grading, I printed a short notation in the margin of the submission form stating I was looking for a fair and accurate grade, and whether that entailed a departure in grade, up or down, was of no moment. It just so happened everything crossed successfully despite the fact I purposely left out a few plus ️  signs.  I believe it would be a good idea to have your coin re-encapsulated if only to get both a second opinion and a higher profile holder.