• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Morgan toner

21 posts in this topic

I was traveling today and stumbled upon a coin shop so I decided to stop in. I bought 3 in my opinion three nice Morgan's. I wanted to share one with you. I don't have the best camera otherwise I would share all three. This one is special to me. At first I thought maybe it's a fake toner but even still I couldn't resist. After using some magnification I believe it's a genuine toner. So please take a look at the images. I hope you like it too!

595172786_KIMG02642.thumb.JPG.0cec128b076bafb1c9047c13a17a4e17.JPG

KIMG0265~2.JPG

KIMG0267~2.JPG

KIMG0268~2.JPG

KIMG0269~2.JPG

Edited by Standby

Oh, no, very much no. That is artificial and fake as toning comes. I don't want to pee in your Cheerios, but that is definitely fake all the way, 100%. Not a single thing about that is right. 

And no, as you may infer, I don't like it. 

Sorry. 

:fear:  Ouch!  I sure hope that you did not pay very much for this coin, there is nothing about that toning that is anything close to legit.   Sorry to see that you were taken advange of like this.

It is a continuing point of controversy whether any particular coin features "original" or "artificial" toning. However, I have never seen a reputable grading service numerically grade a silver coin with toning that looked like this.

Maybe you'll like this one better. It's a limited edition silver dollar. He said they were very rare plus it came with a certificate of authenticity.

KIMG0270~2.JPG

KIMG0271.JPG

Edited by Standby

Oh, brother. 

You need to stop buying.... anything. You need to read a couple of books. You need to ask some questions (before you buy). 

I'll bet he charged you a hefty premium for that colorized silver eagle with super rare certificate of "authenticity"? 

If you paid any more than $20 for it, you got ripped off. 

We can, and will, help you, if you are interested. But the two things you've posted so far are.... really not worth much of anything beyond their literal silver content. 

Might as well rip the band-aid off and post the other things you bought, so we can just get this out of the way. 

Edited by physics-fan3.14

You are showing a 2000 American Eagle silver bullion coin that was painted by a private company that has nothing to do with the U.S. mint! (The "certificate" so indicates.) These were privately mass marketed as "collectibles" and aren't "rare".  Nor are they desirable to serious coin collectors, who want coins with their original surfaces.  A few years ago, the U.S. mint "got into the act" and has issued a few commemoratives with "colorized" options that are painted by a private contractor for people who want such things, but no such item was officially issued in 2000. I wouldn't do any further business with this dealer!

We have a saying, "Buy the book before the coin."  Do you have a current "Redbook"?  If it's not in that book, it's not mint issued!  I can direct you to resources that can help you upon request.

The medallion you just posted isn't a U.S. coin, nor does it appear to be a U.S. mint medal. What did the dealer claim it was?

On 11/17/2022 at 6:59 PM, Sandon said:

It is a continuing point of controversy whether any particular coin features "original" or "artificial" toning. However, I have never seen a reputable grading service numerically grade a silver coin with toning that looked like this.

Depends who brewed the coffee that morning. 

On 11/17/2022 at 7:39 PM, Standby said:

Maybe you'll like this one better. It's a limited edition silver dollar. He said they were very rare plus it came with a certificate of authenticity.

KIMG0270~2.JPG

KIMG0271.JPG

doh!

I appreciate the feedback. I will return these items tomorrow and get my money back. I don't like to buy anything from eBay because of all the controversy. I guess it boils down to two questions.

If I want to start collecting coins in a serious way. I mean spending $1000 a month or roughly $12,000 a year who would good dealers be? Do you have any websites with dealers who are fair and will not rip me off?

I have the money to spend. Today I guess I got talked into a bad deal. Tomorrow I will make sure to get my money back. You can count on it. Now I'm mad, really mad and when that happens it's not good.

Edited by Standby

Knowledge is power, there is an old saying among collectors; buy the book before you buy coins.   There are lots of good dealers out there but the best way to not be taken advantage of is to read and study before you buy.

On 11/17/2022 at 10:36 PM, Coinbuf said:

Knowledge is power, there is an old saying among collectors; buy the book before you buy coins.   There are lots of good dealers out there but the best way to not be taken advantage of is to read and study before you buy.

I'll buy some books tomorrow. I've also been watching some YouTube videos. It would be nice to know if some good dealers also 

It being the holiday season, I would urge you to standby... at least until after New Years'. 

I never thought it would be necessary to acquire something that presently does not exist, but, no offense intended, I am going to have to carve out an exception for you, because buoyed by a budget, the path you take, without the necessary knowledge to do so, will be the one with the least amount of resistance and fraught with peril.

You do not yet have the qualifications, the prerequisites----the "license," to be a buyer.

There is no crash course in coin collecting. A Red Book is a fundamental, indispensable tool. All the necessary resources are at your fingertips. If you do not do any reading, if you do not browse through the extensive archival material generated and posted here and on other sites, if you don't familiarize yourself with the subject matter at hand, if you don't ask questions, you will wind up squandering your money.

First order of business... returning those coins.  If they have a return policy, ideally indicated on the sales receipt, return all three coins which I suspect ran you more than a hundred dollars.

We have all made mistakes at one time or another.  Some are acts of commission (buying coins we should not have for a host of reasons); others are acts of omission (not buying coins at the right time).

If you state your general location, a member may be able to refer you to a reputable brick-and-mortar with a good track record. You have a great deal of research and exploring to do.  Good luck!

If you are a new collector, please refer to the following topic describing some important print and online resources with which you should become familiar before proceeding to spend any substantial amount of money on coins with anyone:

Anyone can post videos on YouTube!  There are some posted by the American Numismatic Association, NGC, PCGS, and major auction houses and dealers (see below) that may be helpful, but there are misinformed and dishonest persons who also do so.  

Are there any coin shows held in your area? You should go to these shows and look carefully at as many of the coins that interest you as possible and talk to the dealers about them. Your purchases should be modest until you have acquired knowledge and developed your own taste.  You may also consider joining a local coin club, where you may be able to learn from other members who are more experienced collectors.

If you insist on buying expensive coins before you have become thoroughly familiar with them, only buy such coins that have been certified by the major grading services, especially NGC and PCGS. ANACS and ICG certified coins may also be acceptable.  

Dealers who are members of the Professional Numismatists Guild (PNG) are well-established, reputable dealers with substantial net worth who are required to abide by a code of ethics.  Go to the PNG's website (pngdealers.org) for further information and a member dealer directory.  The major numismatic auction houses, including Heritage (ha.com), Stacks Bowers (stacksbowers.com), Goldberg Coins & Collectibles (goldbergcoins.com), and Great Collections (greatcollections.com), have regular auctions of mostly more expensive certified coins and also maintain archives of their sale catalogs and other features of educational value.  There are other reputable dealers, but I would need to know in what part of the country you live before I might be able to make any recommendations.

The majority of coin related videos on Youtube are designed to get views and not to educate. My suggestion is to stay away from Youtube for now, until you are able to discern the difference between click-bait and legitimate educational videos.

Please do not get in a hurry to start dropping money on coins. That could be a huge money losing venture. I would suggest buying a "A Guidebook of United States Coins," available at most book retailers. The prices may not be current, but you can use them to see how coins within a series are priced compared to others. I would also suggest taking a look at Great Collections and Heritage Auctions, two sites that sell certified coins by auction. There, you will be able to look at lots of pictures of coins and compare prices among different types, years, and grades. Of course, the best option is to look a lots and lots of coins - in person.

When it comes to buying coins, the old saying "education is key" has never been truer.

On 11/18/2022 at 12:08 AM, Just Bob said:

My suggestion is to stay away from Youtube for now, until you are able to discern the difference between click-bait and legitimate educational videos.

Yes, please. Listen to Bob. YouTube is a place to learn disinformation in this hobby. 

I got my money back. He didn't want to give it to me but let's just say we worked it out.

I'm going to listen to you guys. I'll save up some money and educate myself. I want to buy some amazing coins.

On 11/19/2022 at 10:12 PM, Standby said:

I got my money back. He didn't want to give it to me but let's just say we worked it out.

I'm going to listen to you guys. I'll save up some money and educate myself. I want to buy some amazing coins.

Being in a hurry is never a good plan.