• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ANA Board of Govs Meeting Today
1 1

91 posts in this topic

Curious if they have any thoughts on the state of the hobby....are new coin dealerships being formed...are existing ones reporting business is way up....are coin shows (local/regional/national) still seeing a post-pandemic surge.....etc.

Edited by GoldFinger1969

On 11/15/2022 at 1:51 PM, VKurtB said:

Anybody have a message they want carried? I’m logging in at 5PM Central time. 

...just a question, n maybe u already know the answer...is there a full time person manning the library now?...the past few times i have called no one answered n the couple of times i left a message i never received a reply...this was several months ago n the circumstances may have changed?....

Any concerns I may have would likely coincide with yours.  Besides, who's going to take anything a guy who's got a Rooster for a sidekick seriously?  Carry on...  :roflmao:

On 11/15/2022 at 2:31 PM, zadok said:

...just a question, n maybe u already know the answer...is there a full time person manning the library now?...the past few times i have called no one answered n the couple of times i left a message i never received a reply...this was several months ago n the circumstances may have changed?....

Your question boils down to, “Are you guys over COVID and getting back to normal?” The amount of COVID phobia in Colorado Springs generally is OUT OF CONTROL! I’ll be asking how back to normal the HQ is. I’ll report back the answer. The library is pretty close to Job One. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 11/15/2022 at 2:01 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Curious if they have any thoughts on the state of the hobby....are new coin dealerships being formed...are existing ones reporting business is way up....are coin shows (local/regional/national) still seeing a post-pandemic surge.....etc.

Membership is growing. But the number of dealers? That is likely more problematic. Shows are doing well. The average shopper is spending quite a bit more. The number of unique dealers MAY BE DOWN. Reason? Overhead. I’ll ask, for sure. Less than 2 hours to go. 

My basic question is: "When will ANA get a backbone and take aggressive action to support and protect collectors?"

On 11/15/2022 at 4:16 PM, RWB said:

My basic question is: "When will ANA get a backbone and take aggressive action to support and protect collectors?"

I have the answer to that. When their legal advice they get from their solicitor changes. No likelihood of that changing in my lifetime or yours. I’ve never heard even the most dissident board candidate criticize the legal advice they are getting. But honestly, Roger, it’s a good question. It needs to be asked occasionally. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 11/15/2022 at 2:31 PM, zadok said:

Here is the answer to your question, zadok. The ANA library is now available for lending and ONE employee is working fulltime there. 

On 11/15/2022 at 4:12 PM, VKurtB said:

Membership is growing. But the number of dealers? That is likely more problematic. Shows are doing well. The average shopper is spending quite a bit more. The number of unique dealers MAY BE DOWN. Reason? Overhead. I’ll ask, for sure. Less than 2 hours to go. 

I would think that if the number of dealers is down it is because of demographics....most dealers skew OLDER and started their businesses in the 1970's or 1980's.

On 11/15/2022 at 5:16 PM, RWB said:

What do you want done ?  What is the problem as you see it ?

On 11/15/2022 at 6:17 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

I would think that if the number of dealers is down it is because of demographics....most dealers skew OLDER and started their businesses in the 1970's or 1980's.

Undeniable. The monster huge ones being the exception. They have robust continuation plans. 

Edited by VKurtB

Guess what marked the “high water mark” of ANA membership. Not a date, but rather an activity or circumstance. 

Edited by VKurtB

You’ll never guess what topic chewed up the most time. You’d never guess it in a hundred years. I kid you not. “How many people should be privy to the identity of ‘anonymous donors’ to the ANA?” Wow. There was no resolution. It was tabled and re-referred to the Fund Committee for study on how other organizations handle such matters. Trust me, ya gotta develop a taste for this kinda stuff. 

Edited by VKurtB

So basically, you're saying.. the ANA is useless, ineffective, incompetent, poorly managed, and doesn't care about collectors or dealers? Also, I guess they don't address concerns? 

Then... what's the point? 

They are basically a political committee. They sound like Congress. They sound as absolutely useless as any politician ever has been. And yeah, I know VKB is a political hack. Point intended. 

On 11/15/2022 at 7:07 PM, VKurtB said:

Here is the answer to your question, zadok. The ANA library is now available for lending and ONE employee is working fulltime there. 

...thanks....

On 11/15/2022 at 5:22 PM, VKurtB said:

I have the answer to that. When their legal advice they get from their solicitor changes. No likelihood of that changing in my lifetime or yours. I’ve never heard even the most dissident board candidate criticize the legal advice they are getting. But honestly, Roger, it’s a good question. It needs to be asked occasionally. 

...ironic that a non-member n non-collector is so concerned bout the interests of the collector?....

On 11/15/2022 at 7:17 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

...thats not what im seeing at the bigger shows...baltimore, ana, central states....

On 11/15/2022 at 8:01 PM, zadok said:

...ironic that a non-member n non-collector is so concerned bout the interests of the collector?....

Or... not ironic that a non-collector couldn't care less about the interests of collectors? The ANA is an outdated, useless, and pointless organization that exists only because of tradition. They've been around, and so they're still around. I don't know what they do, or why they exist, except to apparently feed VKB's ego. 

On 11/15/2022 at 8:06 PM, physics-fan3.14 said:

Or... not ironic that a non-collector couldn't care less about the interests of collectors? The ANA is an outdated, useless, and pointless organization that exists only because of tradition. They've been around, and so they're still around. I don't know what they do, or why they exist, except to apparently feed VKB's ego. 

...apparently u didnt get the memo...wake up n check out whats actually been going on around u for the past century plus....

On 11/15/2022 at 8:15 PM, zadok said:

...apparently u didnt get the memo...wake up n check out whats actually been going on around u for the past century plus....

Yup, got the memo. 

From 1860 to 2000, lots of value, probably. 

Last couple of decades? Not so much. Haven't kept up with the times. Haven't modernized yet. 

On 11/15/2022 at 7:31 PM, VKurtB said:

Guess what marked the “high water mark” of ANA membership. Not a date, but rather an activity or circumstance. 

I'm probably wrong but I would guess around 1990 and the Coin Bubble of 1989-90 ?

On 11/15/2022 at 8:06 PM, physics-fan3.14 said:

In their defense, they serve a niche that is part of our greater community.  Sort of like how baseball Fantasy players are part of the fandom of baseball....but fans like myself detest fantasy baseball.

On 11/15/2022 at 8:04 PM, zadok said:

...thats not what im seeing at the bigger shows...baltimore, ana, central states....

You think the number of dealers is UP from pre-Covid or 10 or 15 years ago ?

On 11/15/2022 at 7:21 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

I'm probably wrong but I would guess around 1990 and the Coin Bubble of 1989-90 ?

Not a bad guess, but no. 

On 11/15/2022 at 7:22 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Equal to just pre-COVID. 

On 11/15/2022 at 6:58 PM, physics-fan3.14 said:

So basically, you're saying.. the ANA is useless, ineffective, incompetent, poorly managed, and doesn't care about collectors or dealers? Also, I guess they don't address concerns? 

Then... what's the point? 

They are basically a political committee. They sound like Congress. They sound as absolutely useless as any politician ever has been. And yeah, I know VKB is a political hack. Point intended. 

The Board is very political. I don’t see that changing. They run campaigns and get elected. Duh! The professional staff is apolitical, and they depend on the Board for their hires and/or appointments. Volunteers augment both functions. Some things formerly done ONLY by paid staff are now done exclusively by volunteers. 

A growing membership of 26,600+ members. How many books have you sold?

Edited by VKurtB

On 11/15/2022 at 8:22 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

...referring to ur comment bout ages of most dealers, im not seeing the majority being from the '70s-'80s, much younger now....

On 11/15/2022 at 8:04 PM, zadok said:

...referring to ur comment bout ages of most dealers, im not seeing the majority being from the '70s-'80s, much younger now....

Also true. But the “back of the room” dealers do trend older. Not a lot of $20 Saints in those cases. The dying ones tend to trend heavier. Some notable exceptions. In the COVID era, weight has been as deadly as age. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 11/15/2022 at 7:22 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

In their defense, they serve a niche that is part of our greater community.  Sort of like how baseball Fantasy players are part of the fandom of baseball....but fans like myself detest fantasy baseball.

I think you have flipped the niche and the greater community. THIS, right HERE, on your screen, THIS is the tiny niche.