• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Swiss Mint Changes Silver Alloy

12 posts in this topic

On 11/14/2022 at 8:05 PM, Hoghead515 said:

Was we the first country to use .999 silver in our coins? I read something on this a while back but I cant remember. 

I can’t say “first” with certainty, but we were among the first, and I believe the first of the major western nations. Anyone else have an answer? I believe China might have been in there. 

Edited by VKurtB

I am going to take a guess here... the first .9999 silver bullion coins, I believe, were the Canadian Maple Leafs.  I have a photo of the gold version of the "Big Maple Leaf" which was produced (issued) by the Royal Canadian Mint in 2007 and weighed 100 kgms (221 lbs.) 3 cms thick/53 cms in diameter, "99.999" fine (which was stolen from the Bode Museum in Berlin 10 years later and never recovered despite 4 arrests) as well as a gold bar showcased in Nanjing, China that weighed: "99.999 kilograms" and had a purity of "99.999 percent." This only suggests China and Canada are sources producing ultra-fine silver and gold coin products.

This trend that “regular”’ non-bullion intended silver coins are at .999 is a new thing. Of course silver bullion intended coins have been .999 or higher for decades. 

I almost started a set of the early swiss 1/2  francs. I still may. Not sure how hard of a set it is. I ended up going with German 1/2 marks instead. Those 2 caught my eye when I was looking for a foreign set to work on. Ive only got 1 half mark so far so its not to late to switch to francs. The half marks are gonna be a challenge for all MS coins. Theres several of them. Havent look to see how many half francs are in a set. 

Are .999 flans more readily available? That would be one possible explanation for the change, the other is that .999 might sell better and the Swiss Mint is trying to boost sales. Most of the modern commemoratives in the areas I collect are .925 and the bullion .999 - .9999.

On 11/15/2022 at 6:26 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

Are .999 flans more readily available? That would be one possible explanation for the change, the other is that .999 might sell better and the Swiss Mint is trying to boost sales. Most of the modern commemoratives in the areas I collect are .925 and the bullion .999 - .9999.

This makes good sense. Never underestimate the economic incentive, I always say.  The metal will be softer in the absence of an alloy, but as long as the coins are not destined for circulation I don't know that it would matter.  

@VKurtB...  I accept that 0.835 fineness is the classic standard in many countries, but what was the basis for settling on that specific purity?

There is a push going on worldwide presently to make more silver coins in .999 rather than the various countries’ historic standards. If you were a major global supplier of silver coin blanks, would you prefer stocking .835, .900, .925, and .999, or only the last one? EVENTUALLY (not right away) the inventory simplicity will probably generate savings that COULD BE felt at the consumer level. 

You know, of course, that the present wedding and Christmas sixpence pieces sold by the British Royal Mint AND the Maundy coins are still .925, right? Watch for those to go .999 some year soon. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 11/15/2022 at 9:47 AM, Quintus Arrius said:

This makes good sense. Never underestimate the economic incentive, I always say.  The metal will be softer in the absence of an alloy, but as long as the coins are not destined for circulation I don't know that it would matter.  

@VKurtB...  I accept that 0.835 fineness is the classic standard in many countries, but what was the basis for settling on that specific purity?

[Cue the orchestra.] Traditionnnnn, Tradition.

0145A75A-476A-4623-8B2B-881D2BE39604.jpeg.70cf1431df38a64885e01e63a0e837fb.jpeg
As an aside, Canada’s non-bullion silver coin standard is classically .800 silver. 

Edited by VKurtB