• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What do you collect?

166 posts in this topic

On 11/28/2022 at 11:07 PM, JessicaJoe said:

Thank you for this... I can't wait to see how this goes hopefully people are informational with there knowledge... I know I'm new here  and I need all the help I can get so I posted in this thread... To make sure I seen all the post from everyone..😁

We were all in the situation you are in at one time or another, Jessica.

Are there any areas of coin collecting you want to concentrate or focus on ?  You've asked us about a few different coins, but what you pursue going forward may be totally different.  Also, what you FOLLOW and educate yourself on might be something you don't collect because it's either too difficult to collect and/or too expensive.  Nothing wrong with following a coin type thought it certainly is more fun buying every now and then. :)

There's also nothing wrong with just collecting all different kinds of coins and commemoratives -- what we call a "Type" collector -- and being a jack-of-all-trades sort of.  I actually have elements of this in my own collection.

On 11/30/2022 at 2:06 PM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

Well... this is a fun hobby and there are plenty of ways to get started.  But, looking closely/critically at coins is the first step - and you are already doing this (whoop whoop!)

Errors are a lot of fun, but it may be my least strong suit.  I will say that the best way to get started with errors is to first understand how coins are minted.  If you fully understand the minting process, you will be better at differentiating damage from errors.  If it could not occur during minting - it's damage.  I say this because many budding collectors confuse the two.  Resources like doubledbie.com will also help a great deal.  I would study the resources first, and start looking at the coins after you feel you have a good handle on the references.

A common mistake made is newer collectors will post damage and ask is this an error, a doubled die, etc?  If the new collector repeatedly shows the same type of damage, those that are strong in error identification will fatigue and stop responding.  Worse yet, there are several that will argue back, insisting it is a doubled die or error.  This will cause people to totally tune out, and they lose all credibility.  If you ask questions citing the resources, explaining why you think its an error (explaining the minting process), and reference known examples by Wexler variety. Your reception will be much better.

I say all this because we have seen this before (over and over).  Errors are very tough for newer collectors (they are tough for me, too).  The human brain is built to solve puzzles, and this can sometimes lead to your eyes seeing things that are not really there.  This is why knowing the minting process to eliminate that bias is so critical.

I wish you luck.

Thank you for in site information I'm fixing to digg into it now...

On 11/10/2022 at 7:58 AM, Hoghead515 said:

Well Im home stranded with covid today. Im in fine shape, taking it well with only minor symptoms. I didnt want to spread it to my work friends so I figured I better stay home a few days. Im taking this time looking at all the coins in my mixed box. Its coins I bought that I found appealing but havent had no plans to make sets with them. I guess you could call them type coins. I also enjoy collecting coins that I really like as singles. Ive got a few Morgans, couple ancients, ASEs, a Connecticut copper, some world coins, and a few others. I got some Im planning on making sets out of later such as Roosevelt dimes and Jefferson nickels, both going to be business strikes. I got a few proofs I may turn into sets one of these days. It will be later on down the road after I complete the sets Im working on and the sets next in line.  I love this hobby so much theres alot of things I want to do and its hard to choose what I want to do the most because I cant do them all. Im trying to stop myself from trying to start too many sets. But If I see a coin I really like that dosent go to a set Im putting together and Im able to get it, I will buy it as a single. Ive got a few singles on my bucket list. I really want to add a gold coin to my set. Its been driving me crazy for the past couple years. Im thinking about putting back a few dollars in an envelope every so often and save up and get one. I love gold coins but most are way out of my budget. I love the gold thread that was started. Even though I dont own none of my own I can still enjoy admiring everyone elses. Ive seen some amazing coins on that thread. 

I hope you’re feeling better my coin brother.

On 12/4/2022 at 11:49 PM, polisciguy2011 said:

My interests are mostly Danish and Swedish silver (1, 2, 5, and 10 kroner/kronor), and 2- and 3-mark pieces of the constituent states of the German Empire. I've picked up a few 5-mark pieces in the past, but they tend to mostly fall well outside my price range in the MS that I'd want them in. :) I also like collect some of the modern NITC issues, like the Australian Koala and Chinese (PRC) Panda series, as well as the Armenian Noah's Ark design.

Very interesting...how did you get into the Kroner's ?

Many of us like to collect a modern or two from various countries and of various designs (i.e., proof and/or reverse proofs) which is a fun/different way to collect gold every now and then (obviously, gold is alot more than silver for most of us xD).

On 12/5/2022 at 8:32 PM, polisciguy2011 said:

Part of my dissertation in grad school is about Denmark during WW2, so I was looking to branch out into Danish coins after previously collecting British shillings when I was younger. Turned out many of the issues were within my price range, so I started focusing on getting quality and higher grades to try and build out my set registry. Started the Swedish line because the coat of arms designs during the reign of King Gustav V really appealed to me. :D

I also admit I quite like the size of the 2 kroner/kronor issues, being somewhat close to a US half-dollar (another coin that has appealed to me in the past, but which I haven't really pursued yet).

Interesting....just curious, I am fascinated by the circulation of coinage from the U.S. to European citizens and banks which resulted in the hoards of many coins we have today (mostly Saint-Gaudens Double Eagles, Indian Heads, etc.).

In your dissertation on Denmark and Danish coins, any stuff pop up about the preference or usage of U.S. Double Eagles or other coins ?

On 12/5/2022 at 9:27 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Interesting....just curious, I am fascinated by the circulation of coinage from the U.S. to European citizens and banks which resulted in the hoards of many coins we have today (mostly Saint-Gaudens Double Eagles, Indian Heads, etc.).

In your dissertation on Denmark and Danish coins, any stuff pop up about the preference or usage of U.S. Double Eagles or other coins ?

Ah, sorry! I think I should clarify: my dissertation doesn't touch on coins themselves; my interest in the numismatic side of things was piqued by wanting some kind of "physical" connection to Christian X. As my username implies, I'm a political scientist, so I'm looking mostly at how the Danish state responded to the German occupation. Sorry about not being more clear!

That is a fascinating question, though; I haven't looked into it before. Given how little Danish gold was issued, and most of it in smaller denominations, I wonder if any of those hoards did exist in Copenhagen banks...

On 12/5/2022 at 10:57 PM, polisciguy2011 said:

That is a fascinating question, though; I haven't looked into it before. Given how little Danish gold was issued, and most of it in smaller denominations, I wonder if any of those hoards did exist in Copenhagen banks...

Most of the gold coins appear to be from banks in France, Switzerland, and Austria.