• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What do you collect?

166 posts in this topic

On 11/10/2022 at 3:16 PM, samclemen3991 said:

Zadok.  Yes I am very familiar with the LCSS.  This is not a rant, and I am in no way angry but I made several failed attempts to join them.  The first two times I sent an e-mail to the address listed at the end of their E news letter. I never heard back.  At that time there was a message board that had modest but well informed traffic.  Two different individuals said they knew the editor personally and would tell him about my attempts.  No reply.  I finally found the snail mail address, wrote a brief not of introduction and sent a check for (I Think) twenty dollars.  The check was never cashed and I never heard anything. 

The truth is you never know what is going on in someone else's life so it is stupid to get worked up over things like that.  Life is full of quirks.  When I think about something like this I remember the  day a very enthusiastic man called me at my office to ask me to join their very prominent business organization.  After a fifteen minute sales pitch, which I caught about 3 words off, he asked if he would see me at their next meeting.  I said no and abruptly hung up.  He had no way of knowing that less than 24 hours earlier I had been in a hospital room holding my son while he died.  to this day that fellow refuses to even acknowlege my existence.  Personally I operated like a robot for about 6 months back then and probably ticked off lots of people.  Hopefully most didn't let it ruin their day, lol.  James

JT2, I don't know if you ever come back to read other posts, but I know just what you are talking about with proof Indian cents.  I built an 1880-1909 Indian head cent collection in RB MS-64 back in the 90's.  One day on Teletrade I saw an 1880 proof Indian going for small money so I bought it.  Pictures, even today, just can't capture how stunning a proof Indian  cent is.  I had seen other proof coins but their is just something about seeing a coin you collected in ag-vg grades as a kid and then see the same thing with those mirrors and cameo features.  As they say, once the boy has seen the city lights there is no going back.   James

...see private message to u....

@Hoghead515:

Franklin's... I have two that I am afraid will be of no use to you, but first chance I get, they're going out.  Briefly, a 1955-P UNC (I got from that guy in S.F., I believe, with notations all over the flip underscored in red ink) and a 1959-P PROOF (also in an unmarked flip which you're better off keeping because at least your son will get a kick out of it). Too bad it can't be a part of your Registry Set. This is not to say I am 100% a Rooster man. I have a few odds and ends like everybody else. But given a choice, it makes a lot more sense being in your hands, appreciated, than sitting in a box in my home, for no discernable reason. Straight outta Noo Yawk Ci-tay!  :golfclap:

On 11/10/2022 at 10:58 AM, Hoghead515 said:

Well Im home stranded with covid today.

Offf, I hope it's not that bad (mine wasn't) and that you feel better soon!

Btw, are you up to date with the Innovation collection (maybe I missed that)?

Edited by EagleRJO

On 11/11/2022 at 12:55 AM, EagleRJO said:

Offf, I hope it's not that bad (mine wasn't) and that you feel better soon!

Btw, are you up to date with the Innovation collection (maybe I missed that)?

Its not that bad. We just got fairly mild symptoms. Im currently caught up on the innovation dollars. I usually jump on them soon as they are released. 

On 11/10/2022 at 8:51 PM, Sandon said:

My coins are stored in safe deposit boxes

Check them regularly....catalog/inventory them if possible....if the bank certifies what is in them (unlikely), worth even paying for it.  Not sure insurance can covere a SDB loss since no proof there.

Visit quarterly, you should be OK. (thumbsu

On 11/11/2022 at 6:47 PM, Hoghead515 said:

Thank you very much. Its very cool finding out the variety. Thank you for researching it for me. Thats what Id really like to start learning soon in the hobby. Start learning how to match them up to die varieties. Soon as I start getting older coins Im gonna start researching how to trace them down. Is there any books you recommend that has die varieties in them? I will probably be getting large cents more than others. We already have one. An 1802. Its a raw coin. Planning on collecting more. Would love to learn how to trace them down to die pairs if possible. This one is in a flip is why it looks weird in picture. No plans on grading it. Its suffering from enviormental damage. Looks like it may have been a metal detector find. Still very happy to have it. Lumii_20221111_184516973.thumb.jpg.6c0e65e560b1aa0f126738427b1e9609.jpgLumii_20221111_184533665.thumb.jpg.c2c639c8533f93d285b7f43769e85a0b.jpg

...Penny Whimsy by Sheldon, Pascal, Breen for a starter....

On 11/13/2022 at 4:22 AM, Lem E said:

I really don’t have the typical story of childhood coin collecting or anything like that. The closest to that is my grandmother bought me and my two siblings the statehood quarter Harris folders for Christmas in 1998. I was 23 at the time. She was in the know way before me. I believe I was the only one who made the attempt to fill it. I wouldn’t have considered myself a coin collector back then but, I did start to fill the album with pocket change and kept at it over the years. I finally finished that album in 2021 finding the last one, a 2004 Iowa P, in my change. I never bought one coin in that set and when it was finished, I converted the set to a nice Dansco album.

Over the years I had amassed a large amount of change due to the fact I was lazy and never took it to the bank. In early 2020 I decided to buy a few more of the Harris folders for the other denominations and went through all of that change and filled what I could. Something must have clicked and my collecting journey really began. I started looking at things on the US Mint website and ordered a few things. Little did I know, not more than a week before was when the price increase had taken place. I had no idea. Bad timing I suppose. I then saw one of the TV coin shows selling the 2019 reverse proof ASE. I really liked that coin and started looking at slabbed coins on ebay. Particularly the ASEs. I bought my first one and it was pretty much on from there. After a while of collecting ASEs, I became rather tired of collecting the same coins over and over. I realized that after a while I was chasing paper and not coins. I was looking for something else.

I started to buy a few other types of coins not really knowing what direction to go. Then I happened to stumble across a particular registry set of toned Jefferson nickels. I found this set very interesting and began my own set. This eventually became my series of choice. Since then I have dabbled in other denominations and started a type set and a few other sets in addition to my nickel sets. I haven't been collecting for very long and still consider myself a newbie. I do feel like I have come a long way since the beginning thanks in part to this forum and the experienced collectors here. This is starting to get pretty long so I will end it here. I apologize for the length of this post.

We started around the same time. Getting serious with certified coins anyways. 

On 11/12/2022 at 9:34 PM, Sandon said:

@Hoghead515--While attribution was difficult due to the roughness of the coin, I'm pretty sure that your 1802 large cent is an S-233 (a.k.a. Breen 13, BW-11).  I determined this primarily from the reverse, which is only known to be used on this variety, particularly the position of the second "S" in "STATES" and the "D" in "UNITED", as well as other reverse characteristics. The obverse is also consistent in terms of the positions of the letters in "LIBERTY". The "T" should be punched over a "Y", though I can't be certain of this from the photo.  There should also be a rim break or "cud" beneath "18" which appears to be there, but this area is too affected by corrosion to be sure.  The S-233 is considered to be a "high Rarity 2" or slightly scarce variety with 501-750 pieces estimated known.  It isn't likely to be worth a premium over any other normal reverse 1802 cent in this low grade.

The first edition of the "deluxe" version of the "Redbook" (2015) contains an attribution guide for early large cents, upon which I primarily relied.  I confirmed my findings with reference to Walter Breen's Encyclopedia of Early United States Cents 1793-1814, published in 2000 from Breen's notes as edited by Mark Borckardt in collaboration with Del Bland. (I don't have the earlier books by Sheldon et al).

Thank you for researching it for me. I am very grateful. Now I can write it on the coin flip it is in. 

On 11/13/2022 at 8:35 PM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

@Lem E I would have never have guessed you are as new as you are at collecting.  I really respect the command you have over the Jefferson Nickel series, and the extremely high level in which you are building out the set.(thumbsu

@Hoghead515 love the thread!

Im very happy so many people has contributed to it. Hopefully we can keep it going. I cant take all the credit for it though. Our good friend @zadok pitched the idea to me and gave me the honor of starting it. It has turned out very educational to me so far. Got 2 of my coins attributed that I never dreamed I ever would. Hopefully others can learn from it as well. 

On 11/13/2022 at 8:09 PM, Hoghead515 said:

Make it as long as you want my friend. Add anything you want. I enjoy reading everyones stories. Awsome collection you got. Reading yours brought up a question Ive been aiming to ask for a while now. What kind of a price difference is there between buying off Ebay and going to shows and buying? I know the show lets you see in hand what your buying and probably more of a selection. But can you get better deals alot of times at shows? I cant wait till I get to go check out my first show. I want to save up some money so I can bring back a couple coins. Id love to just go and check everything out but it will drive me crazy if I cant bring home some souviners. 

Well, I could ramble on all day about coins I like and want, but I try to keep my focus from being too big.

As for prices at shows, I usually get prices significantly lower than ebay BIN items. I've occasionally overpaid at a show, but it's usually for something with outstanding eye appeal that fits my collection perfectly.