• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Outta here
2 2

283 posts in this topic

@VKurtB :

Good thing I had the presence of mind to send you that plate, with my lucky number on it and all. But you never did say whether your state will permit you to affix it below the bonnet.  :whistle:

On 11/10/2022 at 9:46 PM, Rod D. said:

Guess I posted on the wrong thread. Sorry. 

Respectfully, two things... 1- the OP posted his swan song hence the topic. Theoretically, the thread is rudderless (and derail-proof).  And more importantly, 2- level with me... please tell me if it's true you waited nearly three years to get those nuggets off your chest? You're in the right place! And so much for detectorists who never find anything of value. (Are you sorry you used up your once annually quota for speaking up?)  :roflmao:

QA-that gold took a summer to find. It was found with a Minelab detector and a gold pan. Nothing special. Just stating that metal detecting isn’t just for coins and jewelry.   Agree-this thread  is going in too many directions. 

It was something I've always wanted to do, but never got a chance to.  I assume the next step is taking it to a concern that refines it. That's some haul!

On 11/10/2022 at 9:46 PM, Rod D. said:

Guess I posted on the wrong thread. Sorry. 

Nah, great segue.
My friend and I pan gold on his farm at the corner of Alamance and Chatham counties in Piedmont North Cackalacky. Well, seven flakes so far.

This thread sends gives me spasms of empathy. Let’s use our communality, now and here, 

to post a picture of a coin that tugs at your heartstrings, for the damage that inflicts it, or the bureaucrat who approves it.

Other than that

Let the last person who writes here be the fool of the fora this year-Craig.

for You:

BFC80370-783C-4CFA-930C-D542ADAFE9AA.jpeg

On 11/10/2022 at 9:28 PM, VKurtB said:

Neither does this old boy. How many Civil War minnie balls does one guy need? While there’s no Gettysburg here, you can’t pass a roadside stream here without a Civil War skirmish sign hanging around. There are three parallel ridges of the Appalachians here. I’m on Brindlee Mountain. The next one to the east is Sand Mountain, and the next one from there includes Lookout Mountain, the huge overlook over Chattanooga with that huge famous gun emplacement The Battle of Chickamauga battlefield is at your feet. 

Ive been to Lookout Mountain. We were working down at Jasper TN years ago and we took a trip there. Very cool place. 

@Hoghead515Ya, my dad had a whites. Those are good for gold in the mountains. The Garretts were designed mostly for coin hunting. The GTI 1500 I still have is just as good as the 2500 they sell now. You'll enjoy the accuracy of it much better than the cheaper models. 

Thanks for the update, gentlemen.  And here I was thinking a good one could be had for $129. My mind is still in the 1950's. I don't recall anyone ever walking into Rick's Pawn Shop with a metal detector, new or old, but I got a big kick out of him test-firing that gorgeous brass Gatling. I ain' got nothin' against nobody but that's what I'd sink my money in if I were still young. Jus' sayin'  doh!  :roflmao:

On 11/11/2022 at 9:22 AM, bsshog40 said:

@Hoghead515Ya, my dad had a whites. Those are good for gold in the mountains. The Garretts were designed mostly for coin hunting. The GTI 1500 I still have is just as good as the 2500 they sell now. You'll enjoy the accuracy of it much better than the cheaper models. 

That would be great for me then. We dont have any gold here where I live. Ill mostly be searching for coins and other things. Thank you for the info my friend. I wish we could have got to use dads together before he passed. We were both wanting to go. We played around with it out in my yard. We layed various types of coins, such as Morgans, mercs, etc., out and was trying to get used to it and dial it in. Then sadly he passed. His widow took it and has it now. Havent heard from her since his passing. 

On 11/10/2022 at 8:47 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

@VKurtB :

Good thing I had the presence of mind to send you that plate, with my lucky number on it and all. But you never did say whether your state will permit you to affix it below the bonnet.  :whistle:

No official answer yet. The new car is where I want to put it, and that new one isn’t in the US yet, so the delay is okay. 

On 11/11/2022 at 1:46 PM, VKurtB said:

In Reading, there used to be an authentic “Hoch Deutsch” restaurant called the Alpenhof. I never went there WITHOUT having a Weißbier.

There is an authentic German restaurant near me, and there are often people there having a Weißbier, with an lemon sclice of course, doing Sergeant Schultz quotes. (:

It really is too bad that Germany is not allowed to export the exact same beers that they produce for domestic consumption due to their beer laws. The domestic beers are much stronger and taste way better. 😉

On 11/11/2022 at 3:16 PM, Morpheus1967 said:

Let's be honest.  You made that name up.  

🐓:  I'll go further, M1967. This is something Q would do!  Oui, Quintus, J'accuse!

Q.A.:  Your right about that, but I lack creativity. 

🐓:  :makepoint:doh!

On 11/10/2022 at 10:10 PM, Rod D. said:

....this thread  is going in too many directions. 

Oh :  Your Honor, I object! Members nowhere near my standing, stature and legendary longevity are making a mockery of my thread!

THE COURT:  Did you not proclaim you were not going back?  What was the title of your topic?

Oh :  "Outta here."

THE COURT:  Well then, you opened the door, counselor! 

CASE DISMISSED.

🐓:  C'mon back, Oldhoop! Please don't make Q come and get you and embarrass you i/f/o your friends. Do you really feel Q can hold things down for you in your absence? C'mon back. C'mon back.

On 11/11/2022 at 1:46 PM, VKurtB said:

In Reading, there used to be an authentic “Hoch Deutsch” restaurant called the Alpenhof. I never went there WITHOUT having a Weißbier. It was a cool place. Every year in June, there was a World War II Memorial weekend at the airport. Guys in German uniforms hung out at the Alpenhof, singing and drinking. It had a real Hogan’s Heroes vibe. 

...june 24th....

On 11/11/2022 at 6:49 PM, zadok said:

...june 24th....

That late? It used to be the weekend nearest D-Day. Of course I haven’t been back in town around then for quite a few. 

So OldHoopster, a very experienced and respected member, starts a thread that he is leaving and people have to post garbage debating pointless things? Really? Can you go kick sand at each other elsewhere! :eyeroll:

On 11/11/2022 at 9:51 PM, EagleRJO said:

So OldHoopster, a very experienced and respected member, starts a thread that he is leaving and people have to post garbage debating pointless things? Really? Can you go kick sand at each other elsewhere! :eyeroll:

He is not "leaving." I made a remark clearly alluding to Mark and he took offense, but having belittled me for breaking my promise for re-entering the fray on the CAC thread----in which he stated unlike me, he "keeps his promises and would not return" (at least not on that thread) as noted elsewhere, I exploited the loophole and baldly stated he was bluffing, and wouldn't you know it, he cleverly jumped down my throat in a rather pointed PM! Now, he's a pro, but it's all good!  Unlike NYC where disputes are settled with finality, here we get to come back and play another day. Do not for one minute believe Oldhoop ain't monitoring this Forum.  If circumstances dictate, he will jump in much like the way he bumrushed my thread, excusing himself hurriedly in the process to post pix of his son slam-dunkin' basketballs [I still believe to be impossible to get one's hands around regardless of size].  Man, I love this place!  Don't worry, Eagle, you'll get the hang of it. Do not follow Ricky. He is a rascal but a rogue Rooster!   (thumbsu

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Usual die polishing.

Reguardless, I dont think ppl should have been kicking sand at each other in this thread. If he's staying it's plolly cause he went to a German place to have a few Weißbiers, which can calm you down and change your perspective pretty quickly. (:

@OldhoopsterI for one am very happy you decided to stay. How were the Weißbiers? :roflmao:

On 11/11/2022 at 10:48 PM, EagleRJO said:

@OldhoopsterI for one am very happy you decided to stay. How were the Weißbiers? :roflmao:

Never said he decided to stay; I only hinted broadly that he isn't "leaving," and in point of fact----let me up the ante here a smidge-----Never Left!  Giant difference.  At present, his movements, his very presence, is imperceptible.  He is lurking about.  :baiting:

On 11/11/2022 at 9:05 AM, Hoghead515 said:

Ive been to Lookout Mountain. We were working down at Jasper TN years ago and we took a trip there. Very cool place. 

Lookout Mountain....home of Roscoe Tanner, a hard-serving tennis player of the 1970's.  Never forgot that cool name. xDe.

On 11/10/2022 at 8:08 PM, tj96 said:

Edit.

Probably the most interesting post in this trainwreck that explains why this forum has died. Hijacked by hooligans, who don't even care that they are careening off the edge!