• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Outta here
2 2

283 posts in this topic

On 11/7/2022 at 4:03 PM, MarkFeld said:

No one said it was anyone’s job to teach and educate, here, or on any other forum. Some of us enjoy it and get a great deal of satisfaction doing so, however. There’s nothing wrong with a middle ground of answering questions and at the same time, encouraging others to do their own research and thinking.

My firmly held belief is that people who have SOMETHING to sell, whatever that is, whether coins, services, books, or whatever, approach forums with a different viewpoint from those who do not. I simply don’t have much use for the sellers, and not coincidentally, they have little use for me. So be it. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 11/7/2022 at 4:50 PM, MarkFeld said:

You’re free to attribute whatever motives you wish to those “who have SOMETHING to sell”. Whether you’re being fair in doing so isn’t nearly as important as whether they’re helpful and if so, how helpful. And while you don’t have use for certain posters, that doesn’t mean that others can’t benefit significantly from them. 

I’m not the one suggesting THEY be expelled, but THEY are the ones suggesting I be expelled. I just refuse to shed a tear if THEY decide to leave. I have ZERO warning points and the majority of posters like my posts. I think I’ll just choose to wave “buh bye”. 

Ironically, it’s RWB who has the class to stay. Good on ye, Roger. Yes, Roger and I have HUUUGE disagreements, but I also shower some of his posts with likes. It’s not personal. It’s issue by issue. But others can’t handle that. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 11/7/2022 at 4:56 PM, VKurtB said:

The ANA, which @The Neophyte Numismatist apparently has a need to denigrate, has over 26,000 active members, even more than when change contained silver. What does this board have in regular contributors? A few dozen maybe? This AIN’T the hobby guys. It’s what you’ve tried to create as your own private club where you get to expel anybody who won’t play your game. What appointments have YOU received? What volunteer work do YOU do for the hobby? There are 13 National Volunteers that work for the ANA, … thirteen! Do you have ANY IDEA how “looked down upon” the Internet version of the hobby is? Cindy Wibiker, the long time Director of the FUN show, in her speech tore the Internet hobby another orifice. You guys are NOT THIS HOBBY.

I think the ANA is great!  I have learned a lot from the ANA, interesting a lot of it online.  I am not trying to be the hobby.  I am trying to be a collector in a hobby.  I would like to help new collectors understand things.  We all have something that we can share.  I am not of the belief that no one person can be the hobby.  I know you don't share my sentiment, and make that obvious at every turn.

For volunteering, I am helping my boys and the rest of the Den earn their numismatic badges.  They have to create a modified type set, and we are going to do nickels (and they have to explain the rest).  I am new to the hobby, so I am doing what I can.  If you have an half cent to attribute, I have a thread and can help you out there, too.

Personally, I think you should just stop while you are behind.  This is not a good look.

On 11/7/2022 at 5:51 PM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

I think the ANA is great!  I have learned a lot from the ANA, interesting a lot of it online.  I am not trying to be the hobby.  I am trying to be a collector in a hobby.  I would like to help new collectors understand things.  We all have something that we can share.  I am not of the belief that no one person can be the hobby.  I know you don't share my sentiment, and make that obvious at every turn.

For volunteering, I am helping my boys and the rest of the Den earn their numismatic badges.  They have to create a modified type set, and we are going to do nickels (and they have to explain the rest).  I am new to the hobby, so I am doing what I can.  If you have an half cent to attribute, I have a thread and can help you out there, too.

Personally, I think you should just stop while you are behind.  This is not a good look.

I have only begun to dabble in Half Cents. I am still in the “reading” stage on them. I think I have three or four, but all are better condition, in less special dates. I metaphorically “stole” them at auction when most bidders were hoarding silver. If I get to collecting them seriously, if I live long enough, I’d love to get your take. 

Edited by VKurtB

If I were to buy one book on half cents, it would be "The Half Cent, 1793-1857: The Story of America's Greatest Little Coin," by Bill Eckberg.  The information and analysis in that book is top notch.  It really is a great book.  

I would be happy to provide my take to anyone who wants to get into the series.  

On 11/7/2022 at 5:50 PM, MarkFeld said:

You’re free to attribute whatever motives you wish to those “who have SOMETHING to sell”. Whether you’re being fair in doing so isn’t nearly as important as whether they’re helpful and if so, how helpful. And while you don’t have use for certain posters, that doesn’t mean that others can’t benefit significantly from them. 

...true, but some offer nothing of significance to anyone n contribute nothing to the hobby...those should take their babble n distraction to a social media forum....

On 11/7/2022 at 7:07 PM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

If I were to buy one book on half cents, it would be "The Half Cent, 1793-1857: The Story of America's Greatest Little Coin," by Bill Eckberg.  The information and analysis in that book is top notch.  It really is a great book.  

I would be happy to provide my take to anyone who wants to get into the series.  

How does a self-described neophyte (unless you’re speaking ironically, which I’m into) somehow get to concentrate on Half Cents? Not that there’s anything wrong with it; I’m just curious. 

On 11/7/2022 at 8:23 PM, VKurtB said:

How does a self-described neophyte (unless you’re speaking ironically, which I’m into) somehow get to concentrate on Half Cents? Not that there’s anything wrong with it; I’m just curious. 

...as a matter of fact, u just may have planted a seed of at least some fruition...u should start a thread on "how did u begin in the numismatic hobby n why do u collect what u collect", it would be similar in nature to the present thread on "which 3 commemoratives r ur favorite"...a thread that offers the opportunity for all forum members to participate at a very non-scientific level, i personally believe that is the kind of threads the host had in mind when they established n donated this thread to the hobby community....

To @The Neophyte Numismatist, this is a quote from the review of Ekberg’s book as seen on Wizardcoinsupply.com. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE this kind of language describing MANY numismatic books by comparison:

Among the literature of early American copper as a whole, we have had homey narratives littered with pseudoscience, and ex-cathedra pronouncements aplenty. We have also had way too much 'history' written in the past subjunctive: narratives introducing each unsupported assertion with a phrase such as, 'Surely there would have been. . .'”

Ya hafta love that, … poo. 

Also, and I know this is silly to some, the fact that it’s a hard cover book soooooo pulls me in. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 11/7/2022 at 8:31 PM, zadok said:

...as a matter of fact, u just may have planted a seed of at least some fruition...u should start a thread on "how did u begin in the numismatic hobby n why do u collect what u collect", it would be similar in nature to the present thread on "which 3 commemoratives r ur favorite"...a thread that offers the opportunity for all forum members to participate at a very non-scientific level, i personally believe that is the kind of threads the host had in mind when they established n donated this thread to the hobby community....

Thats a wonderful idea. I would really enjoy reading everyones responses. I would enjoy contributing to a thread like that also. I wrote why I took an intrest in quarters in the introduction of my registry set. Never found a thread on it in the actual forum. I always wondered why the members on here chose their favorite coins to collect and how they got started and so on. 

On 11/7/2022 at 8:23 PM, VKurtB said:

The shortest explanation is - I have evolved over a short time.

More context:  I started CRH in 2020, and got into type collecting when I could not get coins during the "coin shortage." I quickly found I liked the old copper coins the best, and as a result found that I could afford many more half cents in higher grade than large cents.  The copper coins were among the first to be completed in my 7070, and I wanted more.  Half cents were the logical choice.

Even as I started collecting half cents, I really didn't understand rarity.  I started with braided hair because I could buy pretty nice ones for an affordable price and they had the lowest mintages (also the highest survival rates in high grade, but I didn't get that at the time).  The half cent was the coin that really taught me the difference between low mintage and rare (it really is such an important distinction).  That said, I like the braided hair series, but I would not start there again, as these coins are far less challenging than the earlier dates (although I am still looking for a suitable 1850).

I started buying books; Cohen, Breen, Manley, Eckberg, and most recently the Furhman (4-book series).  I made connections with some of the top copper dealers and experts, and started to do some cost analysis and build out my goals.  I immediately eliminated the 1796 and 1831 (debatable proof only), as they are just too expensive for my budget.  I decided with those coins out of the set, I could build a date set with some extra major varieties (spiked chin, etc).

It's been a lot of fun, and challenging.  There are some very tough coins ahead, but that's all part of the fun.

On 11/7/2022 at 11:38 PM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

taught me the difference between low mintage and rare (it really is such an important distinction).

There are some VERY serious people in the hobby who dispute this, including pretty much the entirety of the exhibiting community. To them, ONLY low mintage is rarity unless one can explain the difference through mass meltings or other such events. They are adamant that demand has zero role in rarity.  

I have never at any point ever engaged in CRH. It never seemed appealing as an activity, and what I would gain from it never seemed worth it. I do, however, buy BU solid date rolls when I can get them. My idea of CRH is sitting down with a BU roll of 1970-S cents and look for SD’s. That, and the “third type” that I swear should be recognized. 

On 11/7/2022 at 8:43 PM, Hoghead515 said:

Thats a wonderful idea. I would really enjoy reading everyones responses. I would enjoy contributing to a thread like that also. I wrote why I took an intrest in quarters in the introduction of my registry set. Never found a thread on it in the actual forum. I always wondered why the members on here chose their favorite coins to collect and how they got started and so on. 

...u r welcome to initiate the thread my friend....

On 11/6/2022 at 9:15 PM, Oldhoopster said:

Been too much nonsense and irrelevant posts, and other than the research posts from RWB, there just seems to be too much worthless junk to wade through. I'm sure Ricky Rooster can step right up and provide accurate info to the new collectors who really want to learn (at least the few of them that aren't trolls or alt users).  I'm sure his posts will continue to be as useful as always.  Best of luck to you all Outta here

Because of more total posters, I see more relevant threads of the kind you seek over at CU, CT, etc.  But they have their share of downtime and OT threads.

I've done my best to resuscitate old threads while creating new ones on coins I have interest in (Saints, Morgans) and topics regarding the intersection of our hobby and financial markets.  Sometimes I get a winner (73 pages on Roger's book) and sometimes it's a clunker (threads of 1-2 pages over a few years).

I hope you stay and just are more selective in what threads you open and/or read.  I enjoy your commentary.

On 11/8/2022 at 1:47 PM, zadok said:

...u r welcome to initiate the thread my friend....

It would be an honor. I just hope people will contribute to it and it dosent get buried somewhere at the bottom of the list. Ill think on it tonight and think of how to word it to make people more intrested in it. Thank you my good friend. 

Yes, I spent the last 20 or so years of my career as a “policy wonk” public servant, for which I’ll apologize to no one, not my dead father, and certainly not to anyone here. It is my public service CV that got me invited to the October 2016 U.S. Mint forum in Philadelphia, where I BOTH participated in creating the Innovation Dollar series AND AT THE SAME TIME tearing Mint officials a new one for their stupid marketing. 

On 11/9/2022 at 3:28 PM, Buffalo Head said:

So, will your ALT be (Outta Here?)

Sorry, I don’t know what ALT is. I mean, yeah, it’s a type of German “bier” made near Düsseldorf, but otherwise…?

But aside from not knowing what ALT is, I’ll bet I won’t care either. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 11/9/2022 at 4:26 PM, VKurtB said:

Yes, I spent the last 20 or so years of my career as a “policy wonk” public servant, for which I’ll apologize to no one, not my dead father, and certainly not to anyone here. It is my public service CV that got me invited to the October 2016 U.S. Mint forum in Philadelphia, where I BOTH participated in creating the Innovation Dollar series AND AT THE SAME TIME tearing Mint officials a new one for their stupid marketing. 

Thats pretty interesting that you got to help with the innovation dollars. My sons and I really enjoy that series. We collect both the proofs and reverse proofs. I wish they would have kept the RPs in the same type of packaging they first started in. Selling them seprate in the package with all the cool facts wrote on them. I guess it must have been covid that made them sell them all in one plastic case like the regular proofs. 

On 11/9/2022 at 3:45 PM, Hoghead515 said:

Thats pretty interesting that you got to help with the innovation dollars. My sons and I really enjoy that series. We collect both the proofs and reverse proofs. I wish they would have kept the RPs in the same type of packaging they first started in. Selling them seprate in the package with all the cool facts wrote on them. I guess it must have been covid that made them sell them all in one plastic case like the regular proofs. 

I don’t want to overstate my role. There was a huge session first, then breakouts into committees, which then reported back to the whole. My committee was asked to answer what comes after the ATB quarters. We suggested Innovations be honored. Remember, this was the last days of the 2016 campaign, and most people figured Hillary would be President. We on the committee figured our idea would go nowhere.  I believe Treas. Sec. Mnuchin loved the idea and the legislation was drafted. 

On 11/9/2022 at 3:30 PM, VKurtB said:

Sorry, I don’t know what ALT is. I mean, yeah, it’s a type of German “bier” made near Düsseldorf, but otherwise…?

But aside from not knowing what ALT is, I’ll bet I won’t care either. 

ALT = alternate account.  Like a burner phone for social media.

I'm not sure he intended the remark for you or the author of the topic.  It's just....there.

On 11/9/2022 at 3:37 PM, Crawtomatic said:

ALT = alternate account.  Like a burner phone for social media.

I'm not sure he intended the remark for you or the author of the topic.  It's just....there.

I think you will now have to explain to him what a burner phone is.  :roflmao:

On 11/9/2022 at 4:46 PM, Coinbuf said:

I think you will now have to explain to him what a burner phone is.  :roflmao:

Man, I was actually giving serious thoughts to the etymology of that term the past weekend.  Burner has been used before to describe guns either stolen or used in a crime.  That predates the existence of cellphones but the premise applies.  Something you use once then toss.

Then I started wondering 'why burner?' Is it because guns of questionable provenance may not necessarily be cleaned and serviced?  Resulting in a firearm malfunction causing....burns.  I think that's possible.

I want to say I even read in passing the usage of the word burner to describe a gun during the prohibition days.  But can't seem to find a reference for that currently.

On 11/9/2022 at 4:45 PM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

And... He's back!

@VKurtB There is no way I can brag on you... the way YOU brag on you.  I am so glad you were able to weave-in a "WELL into 7-figure" inheritance, and name dropped Gov. Schweiker & Rendell.  I love that you personally "tore the Mint a new one for marketing", and I can see that they snapped to attention and changed their ways.  Very nice work.O.o

Do you really not see it?  This is what I meant when I said you have lack of self awareness.  Do you not understand what a braggadocious fellow you are?  Do you not understand that you are mean spirited, and put others down to try to make yourself look better?

I suggest making peace with yourself (you will react and say you have, and no need).  But the fact is... that literally no one else here talks about how important they are, or how much money they have.  No one here talks about their connections in politics nor the rich and famous.  No one, but you... and, I have a secret... no one here is really impressed.  I can only imagine the virtual collective eye-roll to your shameless self promotion.  I know this, because it's a classless move on your part.  It's in poor taste, and you continue to shower yourself in bad looks.

I have spent most of my life among politicians in Pennsylvania. He who does not promote himself, dies. It’s a culture. If it’s not YOUR culture, good for you. Must be a neat place. It’s never been MY place. No one gets anywhere waiting. You have to grab for EVERY DAMNED THING. The meek may inherit the earth, but they’l have to fight like heck to get title.  And yeah, THAT was how I was taught growing up. “Nobody ever hands you nuthin’, and most people are out to cheat you.” (My dad used far more colorful language. He was NOT a church going man. He was the most abrasive man I ever knew.) And my hometown is a gang shooting a day kind of place. It was ranked THE MOST ECONOMICALLY DISADVANTAGED (poor) city in the United States the year my dad died. 

Edited by VKurtB