• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Forum's thoughts on the Hawaiian Half Dollar?
2 2

38 posts in this topic

From a strictly aesthetic stand point 

1) Oregon Trail

2) Columbian Expo

3) Norse American

I'll throw Texas in as a close 4th place.

I don't know enough about them to speak on historical importance. One day soon perhaps, I'm considering U.S. commemoratives as a new collecting area as some of my other projects are winding down. (thumbsu

Edited by Fenntucky Mike
Spelling

On 11/5/2022 at 3:47 PM, Oldhoopster said:

1.  Gettysburg

2.  Antietam

3.  Grant

You can easily guess what area of history I like

I don't know about easily, but let's see... Something to do with stone statues i/f/o county courthouses all over the South, Tecumseh, fire and and a march to, uh, Atlanta? 

[Edit:  Who's buried in Grant's Tomb?  Trick question? Sort of.]

[Re-Edit:  Nobody is buried there. Mr. & Mrs. Ulysses S. and Julia Grant are "entombed" there, above-ground, in matching sarcophagi, raised on a dais and watched over by the busts of Civil War generals. It was the president's wish he be buried next to his wife. That would not have been possible in a military cemetery, hence, the General Grant National Memorial in New York City.]

Man, I love this place!

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Insertion of edit and re-edit.

Other than the Oregon Trail - here’s four not in any particular order:

Pilgrim Tercentenary

California diamond Jubilee

Stone Mountain

Texas centennial

On 11/5/2022 at 2:47 PM, Oldhoopster said:

1.  Gettysburg

2.  Antietam

3.  Grant

You can easily guess what area of history I like

Vietnam?

Favorite ones I own based on aesthetics:

1) Pilgrim

2) Texas Centennial (both of these have amazing reverses)

3) California Pacific International Exposition (incorrectly known as ‘San Diego’)

Ugliest one I own (design): Tie between York County, Maine and Carver/Washington 

Best looking ones I don’t yet own in no particular order:

Connecticut, Antietam, Gettysburg 

Edited by VKurtB

My all-time favorite? If memory serves (not sure it's a commemorative; don't want to cheat and look it up) it's the one with the prospector panning for gold.

On 11/5/2022 at 9:00 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

My all-time favorite? If memory serves (not sure it's a commemorative; don't want to cheat and look it up) it's the one with the prospector panning for gold.

There is the 1925 California that has that motif. 

On 11/5/2022 at 10:27 PM, VKurtB said:

There is the 1925 California that has that motif. 

That might be it.(Now that the cat's out of the bag, I might as well cheat and look it up... oops, bedtime, the wife, my Powerball dream, pffft! Ah well, tomorrow's another day. Gotta turn the clocks back...)

On 11/5/2022 at 9:35 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

That might be it.(Now that the cat's out of the bag, I might as well cheat and look it up... oops, bedtime, the wife, my Powerball dream, pffft! Ah well, tomorrow's another day. Gotta turn the clocks back...)

Mine all turn themselves back, or are they setting them ahead 23 hours?

On 11/5/2022 at 10:37 PM, VKurtB said:

Mine all turn themselves back, or are they setting them ahead 23 hours?

C'mon now, Kurt!  It's fall. Fall BACK!  doh!  :roflmao:

On 11/5/2022 at 1:46 PM, leeg said:

One of your favorites?  More important than the Oregon Trail half dollar?

Which are your favorites: 1-3?

Haha, I don't know why, but when you said "Hawaiian Half Dollar" my mind instantly went to the fascinating story of the 1883 issue from San Francisco featuring King Kalakaua. It later occurred to me that you were talking about commemorative halves, as you usually do! 

On 11/5/2022 at 10:02 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

C'mon now, Kurt!  It's fall. Fall BACK!  doh!  :roflmao:

C’mon now, Q. The one digital clock I have that does NOT handle the time transition itself is the one in my car, and it CANNOT be set back, ONLY forward. So I have to put it 23 hours ahead. 

On 11/6/2022 at 3:29 PM, VKurtB said:

C’mon now, Q. The one digital clock I have that does NOT handle the time transition itself is the one in my car, and it CANNOT be set back, ONLY forward. So I have to put it 23 hours ahead. 

Troo dat!  The one digital clock I have also must be manually adjusted, ONLY forward.  It's only a problem with analogs and, quite frankly, I enjoy labor-intensive activity like manual typewriters----and before my time, turning that large crank i/f/o the automobile.

Let's stay on topic.

Here are the results so far as of 11/07/22:

Pilgrim - lll 

Texas - lll 

Oregon Trail - ll 

Columbian Exposition - ll 

Gettysburg - ll 

Diamond Jubilee - ll 

Antietam - l 

Grant - l 

New Rochelle - l 

Maine - l 

Stone Mountain - l 

Lexington - l 

California Pacific International Exposition - l 

Norse American – l  (some add this to the early commemorative series. I don’t. It’s fine though.)

I'll let this run another week. Whichever early commemorative has the most votes I will write my chapter about it.

Thanks all for your thoughts!

On 11/13/2022 at 11:45 AM, leeg said:

Bump

One day left for selections!

You did not specify country so (in the absence of a Red Book) I am going to nominate the United Kingdom's 1977 Silver Jubilee Commemorative Coin Queen Elizabeth.

Why? Solely on the strength of the handsome good looks of the horse featured, which suggests jut in its strut (reminiscent of a certain Rooster).  doh!

On 11/13/2022 at 12:37 PM, Lem E said:

1. Texas

2. Columbian

3. Illinois (1918)

That Illinois is strong. 

On 11/5/2022 at 7:40 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

I don't know about easily, but let's see... Something to do with stone statues i/f/o county courthouses all over the South, Tecumseh, fire and and a march to, uh, Atlanta? 

[Edit:  Who's buried in Grant's Tomb?  Trick question? Sort of.]

[Re-Edit:  Nobody is buried there. Mr. & Mrs. Ulysses S. and Julia Grant are "entombed" there, above-ground, in matching sarcophagi, raised on a dais and watched over by the busts of Civil War generals. It was the president's wish he be buried next to his wife. That would not have been possible in a military cemetery, hence, the General Grant National Memorial in New York City.]

Man, I love this place!

Grant’s parents are buried about 5 miles from where I live in the old Bethel Cemetery. When I was a kid, I used to play in Grant’s boyhood home in Point Pleasant, Ohio. That was before it was turned into a small park and the house was opened as a museum.

I looked at some favorite plate designs for an answer.
The large field and simple design of the Wyoming is ballsy. 

D39312F1-3AEC-4200-8A1B-668B4E356A91.jpeg

2EF6C205-ACF7-455A-A1B6-B1C4386834A8.jpeg

9FA0DE50-3349-4C38-93ED-BB8BC3BA8CCA.jpeg

Edited by Ray Tatum
Correctivity

@leeg,

The Hawaiian Commem appeals to me because of its rarity and distribution story. Am I missing something special about it as a design? Have you ever held the Sandblast Proof in your hand?

Edited by VKurtB

@leeg:

I don't know what prompted the minting of a sesquicentennial commemorative for Hawaii in 1928----before it became a state, but the bicentennial (1978) came and went, uneventfully, and I am wondering if the sordid details of Capt. Cooks' travels would militate against honoring him in similar fashion today. Alabama's centennial commemorative half dollar (1921) can be acquired for 1/10 the cost of the Hawaiin coin, but why?  And is there really that much demand (for something I never knew existed) to push the price well up into $6,000? [My money is on 'Bama. It's got a giant eagle on the reverse.]