• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1995 D Double Die ONLY 100 IN EXISTENCE
3 3

69 posts in this topic

Looks like MD to me but I could be wrong. Im not good at spotting them. If it is its a nice clean looking coin. 

Edited by Hoghead515

I hand pried/open all the boxes/rolls it came from in 1995.anyone got a fetch on a idea of price. Only one I got.

1995 ddo is a rare variety

1995 D ddo - the usual is to expect 10x the 1995 variety.

not a scratch or nick on it.

glad I picked the Denver boxes haha!!

feel free to contact for offer,,

On 11/2/2022 at 7:15 PM, Just Bob said:

I have a feeling you will be disappointed if you send that in for grading hoping for a doubled die designation. It looks like die erosion doubling to me.

This coin was set aside fresh from the boxes in 1995 because of its doubling.

immaculate is possible not erosion.

looking for a high grade here :) or nice offer.

On 11/2/2022 at 9:16 PM, Me4it said:

This coin was set aside fresh from the boxes in 1995 because of its doubling.

immaculate is possible not erosion.

looking for a high grade here :) or nice offer.

You don't have to take my word for it. If you think it is a variety and you want to find out, send it in. It is your money to spend as you see fit.

On 11/2/2022 at 7:24 PM, Just Bob said:

You don't have to take my word for it. If you think it is a variety and you want to find out, send it in. It is your money to spend as you see fit.

I’ll send it in

Little joke here... everybody knows common courtesy dictates Kurt weigh in first before any formal submission can be made, and doubly so when the submitter is bedazzled by the spectre of an ultra-high grade. :roflmao:  I believe we, the Forum, are a jaded lot. We have seen spectacular comets ascend with promise, only to descend in fragmented showers.  I wish you all the very best!

On 11/2/2022 at 11:53 PM, Coinbuf said:

Not shelf doubling, that ghost like look on these copper plated zinc core cents is from the outer copper layer as the coin is struck the copper stretches and bunches up.    It is just a striking issue with the zinc cents, often seen with some sliver of the silver zinc showing because the outer copper layer actually splits.    In this case the copper layer did not split but the effect is the same, errorref.com has a section on this and has some examples of the effect on a broadstruck coin which shows the split effect and the zinc showing through really well.

There are in fact 4 listed DDO's for the 1995-D, however only DDO-003 (FS-103) is significant and of value, I do not see the op coin as matching to DDO-003, and even if it does the coin looks to be in AU condition so I doubt it has much value.

If the op actually submits this coin (which I doubt) I do not expect to see any updates when the coin comes back.   Seems to be the MO of late, start a thread that the op has some major rarity and solicit offers for that said coin before it gets sent off for grading.   Smells like a scam just like the last one of these in this thread Same MO, notice when I asked that op for some proof he disappeared.

Thank you Coinbuf. I know I see that ghost doubling quite often looking through change. Didnt really know what it was called. I see strike doubling quite often also. The shelf doubling is the strike doubling aint it? 

On 11/3/2022 at 2:27 AM, Hoghead515 said:

Thank you Coinbuf. I know I see that ghost doubling quite often looking through change. Didnt really know what it was called. I see strike doubling quite often also. The shelf doubling is the strike doubling aint it? 

Yes sir you are correct, when you see that shelf like look that is almost always a product of strike doubling.   I say almost because I have seen a few instances/coins where what I see and believe to be simple strike doubling that displays that shelf like look has been recognized as doubling by the experts.   The zinc cents are a different animal, that copper layer is so thin and malleable that during the striking process the copper is stretched and distorted, you don't see this with other US coins currently because the zinc cents are a unique combination of metals and how those metals are combined.

On 11/3/2022 at 3:23 PM, physics-fan3.14 said:

Yes, as CoinBuf describes, you have "split plating doubling". There is still some debate over exactly what form the name will take. But, a great description can be found here: https://www.lincolncentforum.com/plating-split-doubling-split-line-doubling/

It is very common and quite worthless... you have a regular cent worth a cent. 

Ive seen several zinc lincolns like that myself the past few years change hunting. 

On 11/5/2022 at 6:31 PM, J P M said:

Ya what he said. If you don't know what it is don't try to sell it as a rarity. Not Cool.

Yet Etsy sellers do that very thing by the thousands daily. 

Thing is, the gentleman already "knows" what he's got----and deftly moves to "price" mode.

If you know what you have, submit it, and come back [on the appropriate thread] to talk price.

Postings such as this----counting chickens before the eggs have hatched----traditionally result in great disappointment.

On 11/6/2022 at 6:44 AM, Ray Tatum said:

Thread reeks of envy, I hope that it gets the grade that you deserve. Good luck.

I am also confused.  Do you believe the OPs coin is a true doubled die and is close to MS-67 as the OP claims?  What characteristics of true doubling do you see?  What is your opinion of the numerous small tick marks on the obverse?  Are these acceptable for MS-67?

The members are just trying to save the OP $65+ in grading fees, but it seems he already had his mind made up.  

Will be interested in your explanation

On 11/6/2022 at 6:44 AM, Ray Tatum said:

Thread reeks of envy, I hope that it gets the grade that you deserve. Good luck.

I dont envy no one. I dont understand why you would post a comment like this. If he did have a true doubled die Id be happy for him. Im just not seeing it by the pictures provided. Can you look at the pictures of the coin and honestly say you see a true dd? I dont see no envy in any of the comments posted. All I see is people trying to help him and save him some money because if he submits it I think hes going to be disappointed. Were definately not going to lie to him and tell him the coin is something its not just to make him feel better. If it is one I cant see it in the picture. All I see is the split plate doubling mentioned above. Ive literally looked through thousands of lincoln cents and that is very common on the zinc ones. Sometimes it can be pretty dramatic. But dont sit there and think that I envy anyone. Im happy when good things happen for people.