• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Gorgeous Original 1940 Proof Set
2 2

11 posts in this topic

This is a gripping account set forth with passion. (And a friendly reminder, face value: 91 cents!)  I cannot imagine anyone skipping over any detail of your acquisition. I vaguely recall there was something special enough about the 1940 half that merited a stand-alone, dedicated story, but I do not recall the particulars. (Maybe Mr. Walkerfan would know.) Very considerate of you to share this with the membership. Delay a decision to divest? I understand perfectly!  This is one purchase that made my day!  Great stuff!

On 10/31/2022 at 9:04 PM, RWB said:

Thank you! It was fun to write because some much of it was entirely new to the hobby. I wrote with the intent this book should last at least a generation or two!

Mission accomplished. 

Very nice set. Stunning coins. If I came across a set like that it would be hard to let go of. I definately understand it being a hard decision. Thanks for sharing the history also. I never knew that information about those and I found it very interesting. 

You will be pleased to know, that in revisiting this thread, and reviewing its contents in its entirety, in context, I now understand your use of the term "original set" as it relates to the 1940 issues, and proof coins minted prior to 1950.  I commend you on your achievement.  That is one very lovely, very well together put set!. (thumbsu