• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Let's Talk Boxes That Hold TPG'er Slabs
2 2

56 posts in this topic

On 10/29/2022 at 10:53 PM, VKurtB said:

So “ATS” have NOT sought to designate the blue color as “trade dress” like Eastman Kodak had done with “that” shade of yellow? Interesting. 

My box, from "over there," is black, but I do recall they offered an orange box for a limited time only, last year. By then, I had graduated to the loose-leaf album, and never looked back. Bonne nuit, all!

On 10/29/2022 at 10:33 PM, VKurtB said:

Do all your lids close properly with NGC slabs in them? Mine are “really close but no cigar”. Oops, I just saw yours are not PCGS brand. I like yours a lot. 

Yep, all the lids close with all the different slabs inside with no problem.  It's some type of generic box.  There are no marking on it.

IMG_4061.jpg

On 10/29/2022 at 9:59 PM, tj96 said:

Yep, all the lids close with all the different slabs inside with no problem.  It's some type of generic box.  There are no marking on it.

IMG_4061.jpg

Seems like the trick is to find more of them. 

On 10/29/2022 at 10:36 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

To the OP:  Re: your "generic" box... take a good look at the top of the lid.  It reads, "Whitman Publishing, LLC." There is a fine global logo bisected by latitudinal and longitudinal lines.  I've got one,  too.  No shame in my game. Give credit where credit is due, I always say.  🐓 ,

Postscript:  As I recall, each TPGS box was custom-made to specification. For lack of a better descriptor, the "generic" was a "rattler."

Wanta bet?  Nowhere on the box, inside or out are there any markings that read "Whitman Publishing, LLC."

Any questions??

IMG_4061.jpg

IMG_4062.jpg

IMG_4063.jpg

IMG_4064.jpg

IMG_4065.jpg

Edited by tj96

On 10/29/2022 at 10:49 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

Wait a minute... holy cow! That is the top of his lid with no logo, no nothing!

IT'S THE FIRST COUNTERFEIT SLAB BOX I'VE EVER SEEN!!!

Now, who can ol' tj submit it to to get certified as a "contemporary counterfeit"?   :makepoint:   :roflmao:

It's almost Holloween, go haunt someone else's thread!!

I pretty much only use the grey NGC boxes. I've tried a bunch of others (PCGS boxes really only fit PCGS slabs, go figure). Whitman made a box that was supposed to be universal, but in reality it just didn't fit anything well. 

The NGC boxes fit the old PCGS slabs perfectly, but PCGS redesigned their slabs a few years ago to be a bit thicker. Now, I have to angle the slab as shown below. It means I can only fit 18 in a box instead of 20, but I can fit both PCGS and NGC slabs together in the same box. That suits me nicely. 

I also have some extra thick slabs... those I just angle as well. 

image.jpeg

PXL_20221030_121845962.jpg

Edited by physics-fan3.14

On 10/30/2022 at 8:16 AM, physics-fan3.14 said:

Nobody knows. Very few care.

My batting average is high.  In just the past month alone:  a).  Oldhoop "Liked" me. That's a sea change in disposition;  b). z characterized a remark I made, begrudgingly, as "... helpful..." and conceded a compilation I made was a [superlative] [laudable] achievement!;  c).  The pie-guy, encamped ATS the past two years, acknowledged my presence here (above) just moments ago. I am losing the lion's share of my constituency, "ignorers," but each in their own way is special.  Now, if I can only find a way to get MM back...

To @tj96:  I have two genuine generics still in the original [cardboard] box they came in, wrappings and all.  If you can use them, and you've got quite a collection, PM me. No charge... Never let it be said Q.A doesn't have a collector's best interests at heart.

On 10/30/2022 at 9:02 AM, RWB said:

Please send me your filled slab boxes and 100-slab cases. Thank you for the kind offer!

;)

One moment, while I go check the Powerball results from the drawing last nite.

On 10/30/2022 at 8:24 AM, physics-fan3.14 said:

I pretty much only use the grey NGC boxes. I've tried a bunch of others (PCGS boxes really only fit PCGS slabs, go figure). Whitman made a box that was supposed to be universal, but in reality it just didn't fit anything well. 

The NGC boxes fit the old PCGS slabs perfectly, but PCGS redesigned their slabs a few years ago to be a bit thicker. Now, I have to angle the slab as shown below. It means I can only fit 18 in a box instead of 20, but I can fit both PCGS and NGC slabs together in the same box. That suits me nicely. 

I also have some extra thick slabs... those I just angle as well. 

image.jpeg

PXL_20221030_121845962.jpg

I had the same problem until I found these.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/352978837376

Screen Shot 2022-10-30 at 10.00.19 AM.png

On 10/30/2022 at 10:01 AM, tj96 said:

I had the same problem until I found these.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/352978837376

Screen Shot 2022-10-30 at 10.00.19 AM.png

I almost bought some of those on Ebay. Had them in the cart and then changed my mind. If I ever fill up the ones I got now I may try them next time. 

On 10/30/2022 at 8:54 AM, Quintus Arrius said:

To @tj96:  I have two genuine generics still in the original [cardboard] box they came in, wrappings and all.  If you can use them, and you've got quite a collection, PM me. No charge... Never let it be said Q.A doesn't have a collector's best interests at heart.

To @Quintus Arrius No thanks!

On 10/29/2022 at 10:03 PM, tj96 said:

IMG_3357.jpg

Clue me in... are those dust jackets on some of your slabs thingamajigs sellers use to protect their merchandise?  Never seen those before.  One seller (I forget which) uses clear plastic protective ovals strategically placed over coins in slabs.  Must say you do have an extensive collection. 

On 10/30/2022 at 10:17 AM, Quintus Arrius said:

Clue me in... are those dust jackets on some of your slabs thingamajigs sellers use to protect their merchandise?  Never seen those before.  One seller (I forget which) uses clear plastic protective ovals strategically placed over coins in slabs.  Must say you do have an extensive collection. 

Like I said:  Go Hijack or haunt someone else's thread!!

Edited by tj96

On 10/30/2022 at 10:27 AM, tj96 said:

What did I say?  Go Hijack or haunt someone else's thread!!

Peace out, bro!  Thank you for keeping things civil.  (thumbsu

On 10/29/2022 at 10:12 PM, tj96 said:

Yes, I've seen those.  These boxes work nice for the limited safe storage I have.

I have the same boxes TJ they work great and they hold NGC and any brand of slab

On 10/29/2022 at 9:42 PM, Oldhoopster said:

If you can figure him out, please let the rest of us know (shrug)

(At QA.  You can owe me a slam for that)

No problem, but you'll have to come back to this Forum first.  doh!  :roflmao: