• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Let's Talk Boxes That Hold TPG'er Slabs
2 2

56 posts in this topic

What don’t I? I’ve got small NGC cardboard, huge NGC cardboard, NGC silver plastic, NGC red and gold plastic, and “ATS” blue plastic. I also have some white anti-toning lined stuff. 

On 10/29/2022 at 9:10 PM, VKurtB said:

What don’t I? I’ve got small NGC cardboard, huge NGC cardboard, NGC silver plastic, NGC red and gold plastic, and “ATS” blue plastic. I also have some white anti-toning lined stuff. 

WoW!!  You have many more then I do, that's for sure! 

I don't have that many slabs but I have some of each. ANACS, Small ANACS Soap Bar slabs, PCGS, NGC, ICG and VSS.  I found a blue plastic box that holds all of them.  I modified the box with an adapter I found that holds the small soap bars.  All of them in one box.

Edited by tj96

On 10/29/2022 at 8:35 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

What about the Dansco?  Want me to spell it out for you? D-A-N-S-C-O.  (You explicitly mentioned it by name on a recent thread.)  :whistle:

Many coins in Dansco albums, but none from TPGS firms, which was the OP’s specific query. I have had to umm, err, “retire” some cardboard boxes. It seems one or more cats have expressed their displeasure over them by means of urethra. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 10/29/2022 at 9:31 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

🐓:  Yeah, Q!  What've you got besides me and my brothers?  Bupkis, that's what!

Q.A.:  What's that?... Can't you see I'm on the phone? Sheesh!  :makepoint:  doh!  :facepalm:

What exactly are you talking about?

On 10/29/2022 at 9:35 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

What about the Dansco?  Want me to spell it out for you? D-A-N-S-C-O.  (You explicitly mentioned it by name on a recent thread.)  :whistle:

DANSCO makes boxes for slabs?

On 10/29/2022 at 8:39 PM, tj96 said:

DANSCO makes boxes for slabs?

If only…  Not that I am aware of. Dansco barely makes what Dansco makes. Many will understand what I mean. 

On 10/29/2022 at 9:42 PM, VKurtB said:

If only…  Not that I am aware of. Dansco barely makes what Dansco makes. Many will understand what I mean. 

What the hell is Quintus Arrius talking about?   

On 10/29/2022 at 9:42 PM, Oldhoopster said:

If you can figure him out, please let the rest of us know (shrug)

(At QA.  You can owe me a slam for that)

Okay, glad it's not just me.

On 10/29/2022 at 8:44 PM, tj96 said:

I assume he confused slabs with raw coins. He seems to be slab only at this phase of his numismatic career. 

On 10/29/2022 at 9:42 PM, Oldhoopster said:

If you can figure him out, please let the rest of us know (shrug)

(At QA.  You can owe me a slam for that)

VAM, WAM,... and now SLAM?

I, er, uh, what's that word Hillar---- misspoke. I MISSPOKE. I was blindsided by the OP's direct query and had instantly "forgotten" the topic... 

On 10/29/2022 at 8:49 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

VAM, WAM,... and now SLAM?

I, er, uh, what's that word Hillar---- misspoke. I MISSPOKE. I was blindsided by the OP's direct query and had instantly "forgotten" the topic... 

Don’t forget CAM, DC, UC, PL, DMPL, and YUCK. There’s whole lotsa YUCK out there. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 10/29/2022 at 9:00 PM, tj96 said:

What do you have?

I will give you a classic MM reply: I stopped reading after Boxes... and skipped right down to your first post [as hereinabove rendered].

Capiche?

On 10/29/2022 at 9:47 PM, VKurtB said:

I assume he confused slabs with raw coins. He seems to be slab only at this phase of his numismatic career. 

[According to the current membership, I am not a hoarder, collector----and most assuredly NOT a numismatist.  I am simply a self-described dues-paying lurker, NGC has in some magical way developed a tolerance for.]

Postscript: NO QUID PRO QUO.

On 10/29/2022 at 8:58 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

[According to the current membership, I am not a hoarder, collector----and most assuredly NOT a numismatist.  I am simply a self-described dues-paying lurker, NGC has in some magical way developed a tolerance for.]

Postscript: NO QUID PRO QUO.

I disagree, I think. Anyone who has specialized as much as you have on one series from one country, and owns a book that covers that one country, which probably weighs more than the coins, well now… that’s as “numismatist” as anyone ever gets. 

Hey Quintus Arrius- Go hijack someone else's thread.

Anyway, I have all my slabs in these generic blue boxes.

IMG_3354.jpg

IMG_3355.jpg

IMG_3356.jpg

IMG_3357.jpg

On 10/29/2022 at 9:44 PM, tj96 said:

...live n learn, its never contributory, i quit even reading his posts couple months ago, waste of time, seldom has anything to do with numismatics....

On 10/29/2022 at 10:06 PM, zadok said:

...live n learn, its never contributory, i quit even reading his posts couple months ago, waste of time, seldom has anything to do with numismatics....

Thanks for the heads-up and reality check!  👍🏻   Again, I thought it was just me.

On 10/29/2022 at 10:07 PM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

Lighthouse makes nice slab albums with clamshell  plastic pages.

Yes, I've seen those.  These boxes work nice for the limited safe storage I have.

On 10/29/2022 at 9:47 PM, VKurtB said:

This may or may not come as a surprise, but my entire brood of Set Registry Roosters lie within a Lighthouse™️ "Grande Classic 3-Ring Certified Slab Album with matching Slip Case [plus 4 ENCAPSLAB certified coin album pages for up to 36 slabs.]"  I've got NGC, front-and-center, upgraded encapsulations in the middle, and PCGS, bringing up the rear. My original "box," (which I still have) contained 20 bags of Bigelow brand Green Tea. [It quickly became overcrowded and Ricky the 🐓 led the revolt!]  Surely the OP will find it in his heart to forgive me my trespass and give me an honorable Special Mention?  (worship)

On 10/29/2022 at 9:23 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

This may or may not come as a surprise, but my entire brood of Set Registry Roosters lie within a Lighthouse™️ "Grande Classic 3-Ring Certified Slab Album with matching Slip Case [plus 4 ENCAPSLAB certified coin album pages for up to 36 slabs.]"  I've got NGC, front-and-center, upgraded encapsulations in the middle, and PCGS, bringing up the rear. My original "box," (which I still have) contained 20 bags of Bigelow brand Green Tea. [It quickly became overcrowded and Ricky the 🐓 led the revolt!]  Surely the OP will find it in his heart to forgive me my trespass and give me an honorable Special Mention?  (worship)

Yeah, I thought some firms made album pages for slabbed coins, but TO MY KNOWLEDGE, Dansco never has. That said, there are VERY MANY Dansco products that once existed, but no longer do. 

On 10/29/2022 at 9:03 PM, tj96 said:

Hey Quintus Arrius- Go hijack someone else's thread.

Anyway, I have all my slabs in these generic blue boxes.

IMG_3354.jpg

IMG_3355.jpg

IMG_3356.jpg

IMG_3357.jpg

Do all your lids close properly with NGC slabs in them? Mine are “really close but no cigar”. Oops, I just saw yours are not PCGS brand. I like yours a lot. 

Edited by VKurtB

To the OP:  Re: your "generic" box... take a good look at the top of the lid.  It reads, "Whitman Publishing, LLC." There is a fine global logo bisected by latitudinal and longitudinal lines.  I've got one,  too.  No shame in my game. Give credit where credit is due, I always say.  🐓 ,

Postscript:  As I recall, each TPGS box was custom-made to specification. For lack of a better descriptor, the "generic" was a "rattler."

On 10/29/2022 at 9:23 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

Ah yes, Leuchtturm products. Good stuff. 

Ive got some Intercept boxes I like really well. Ive got PCGS, NGC, ANACS, and IGC slabs all in the same box and they all fit very well. They are cushioned with some type of fabric that keeps them safe. I think they are a great value. I also have several Guardhouse boxes I keep some of my full sets in. Got some of the 10 and 20 coin boxes. You can fit them neatly in stacks for easy storage. They fit in my safe well. I really like the NGC boxes but they are very expensive. I have 1 of those I keep my buffalo nickels in. They are great to but I really like the Intercept the best. Great box for the value.   

Edited by Hoghead515
Edited to say Guardhouse. Not Lighthouse.

Wait a minute... holy cow! That is the top of his lid with no logo, no nothing!

IT'S THE FIRST COUNTERFEIT SLAB BOX I'VE EVER SEEN!!!

Now, who can ol' tj submit it to to get certified as a "contemporary counterfeit"?   :makepoint:   :roflmao:

On 10/29/2022 at 9:49 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

Wait a minute... holy cow! That is the top of his lid with no logo, no nothing!

IT'S THE FIRST COUNTERFEIT SLAB BOX I'VE EVER SEEN!!!

Now, who can ol' tj submit it to to get certified as a "contemporary counterfeit"?   :makepoint:   :roflmao:

So “ATS” have NOT sought to designate the blue color as “trade dress” like Eastman Kodak had done with “that” shade of yellow? Interesting.