• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Outstanding Mule
2 2

32 posts in this topic

On 10/29/2022 at 2:03 PM, Brandx galb said:

I came across this crazy coin its at graded now but i will be sending it to acution after grading ,note there is also a mint 1911 indian head that iam sure it will be the finest know.

Sorry but that's not a mule. Looks like two halves adhered together, completely phony. 

Welcome to the forum.

• That is not a real coin, it is fabricated. This is the second one I have seen today. There is one on another forum.

If you have already sent it in to be graded, you have wasted your money as it is ungradeable.

Would like to see pictures of your finest known Indian Head though.

Make that three I have seen today , another one just popped up.

Edited by Greenstang

How could anyone, even a non-collector, not know--or at least strongly suspect--that this purported coin was made from two different coins from two different countries of two different compositions that were sawed in half and fastened together?  There's no way that the obverse die for a British Penny of the type minted in London, England from 1953 to 1967 (or a similar Commonwealth issue) could have been combined with the obverse die for a U.S. half dollar minted in Denver, Colorado in 1978!   It's also obvious it was made from two different planchets (blanks), one a normal homogeneous copper alloy British penny blank with a plain edge and the other a normal copper-nickel clad U.S. half dollar blank from 1971 or later? The plain edge on the penny half and the reeded edge on the half dollar half also indicate that two different die collars were used.

Did the original poster really think that anyone on this forum for collectors would be so gullible?

On 10/29/2022 at 11:47 AM, Greenstang said:

Welcome to the forum.

• That is not a real coin, it is fabricated. This is the second one I have seen today. There is one on another forum.

If you have already sent it in to be graded, you have wasted your money as it is ungradeable.

Would like to see pictures of your finest known Indian Head though.

Make that three I have seen today , another one just popped up.

please inform me were you have seen others i had found info on  magic coins but i have tryed to take it apart and everything,so iam leaving it up to the profeffionals

On 10/29/2022 at 3:14 PM, Sandon said:

How could anyone, even a non-collector, not know--or at least strongly suspect--that this purported coin was made from two different coins from two different countries of two different compositions that were sawed in half and fastened together?  There's no way that the obverse die for a British Penny of the type minted in London, England from 1953 to 1967 (or a similar Commonwealth issue) could have been combined with the obverse die for a U.S. half dollar minted in Denver, Colorado in 1978!   It's also obvious it was made from two different planchets (blanks), one a normal homogeneous copper alloy British penny blank with a plain edge and the other a normal copper-nickel clad U.S. half dollar blank from 1971 or later? The plain edge on the penny half and the reeded edge on the half dollar half also indicate that two different die collars were used.

Did the original poster really think that anyone on this forum for collectors would be so gullible?

Well iam not trying to bluff any one i was just trying to get mature feed back not some not some wildly_fanciful_statement say iam 

dumb,and yes i have searched and searced and yes for you info i allready tryed taking it apart andn tryed every trick 

i could find out about and for your info yes this has happened once before coped off pcgs so does that make you dumb or un educated

20221030_mule33.jpg

On 10/30/2022 at 3:06 AM, Brandx galb said:

please inform me were you have seen others i had found info on  magic coins but i have tryed to take it apart and everything,so iam leaving it up to the profeffionals

If you want to leave it up to the "professionals" submit the coin to NGC.  P.O. Box 4776 • Sarasota, FL 34230

https://www.ngccoin.com/submit/how-to-submit/

We'll wait. 

icon_smile_popcorn.gif

On 10/30/2022 at 6:44 AM, tj96 said:

If you want to leave it up to the "professionals" submit the coin to NGC.  P.O. Box 4776 • Sarasota, FL 34230

https://www.ngccoin.com/submit/how-to-submit/

We'll wait. 

icon_smile_popcorn.gif

In the op he says that the coin has already been sent for grading, unless he is willing to share the submission number with us there is no way to verify the validity of his claim.   I have strong doubts that we will ever see this thread updated with any results.

Edited by Coinbuf

@Brandx galb-- If you are offended, I apologize.  I have seen a number of posts with similarly concocted or misrepresented pieces posted by people with likely intent to defraud.  You may have instead been the victim of such a scheme.  I hope that you didn't pay much for this piece. (How did you "come across" it?)  I have been a collector for over fifty years, and most of the regular participants on this forum, whom I have never met, are knowledgeable collectors as well.  You can learn a lot from them, but you must be willing to learn.

The coin to which you are comparing your purported "mule"--a 1978 Canadian cent struck over a 1973 U.S. cent--is in fact something quite different.  It is not a piece made outside of a mint by someone who joined two different coins together but is a normally struck U.S. cent that was subsequently fed into a Canadian cent press, probably intentionally and wrongfully by a Canadian mint employee who hoped to profit from it.  In my opinion, however, neither piece is a legitimate "error" made by accident during the minting process. (Most genuine "mules" of modern coins, which are also struck on a single blank from mismatched dies, are also intentionally created by dishonest mint employees.)

We have an old saying, "buy the book before the coin."  Nowadays books are supplemented by good online resources.  If you wish to succeed as a coin collector, you must learn about them by reading about them, as well as by speaking to experienced collectors and reputable dealers and examining many coins yourself.  For the specialized area of mint errors, you need to gain an understanding of how coins are made to know which purported "errors" are likely genuine and which are not.  Not all genuine mint errors are valued by collectors, so you also need to know which ones are or aren't.  One recognized online resource for mint errors is www.error-ref.com.

For more standard references regarding U.S. coins generally, in case you are unfamiliar with them, please see the following post that I made:

I hope this helps.

On 10/30/2022 at 2:07 AM, Brandx galb said:

are you being sacastic or just giving fedback

What I meant was that I never thought I would see a counterfeiter try to make a coin from two different metals joined together like that, as well as from two different countries.

The pictured item is a put-together phony. It has no value except a small laugh. I feel new posters should be given facts simply and directly. Subsequent actions are their own to make.

If it was legit it wouldnt be made up of two different metal compositions. The reason it wont come apart easily is because someone put a strong adhesive between them. Prob JB weld or something simular. Definately a fake. 

THIS kind of ignorance is so astonishing that it has to be a punk job. The OP must be playing with us to see how gullible some people are. Ever notice how often functional illiterates find strange coins? Probably an alien abductee, too. 

On 11/1/2022 at 1:28 PM, VKurtB said:

THIS kind of ignorance is so astonishing that it has to be a punk job. The OP must be playing with us to see how gullible some people are. Ever notice how often functional illiterates find strange coins? Probably an alien abductee, 

That was my firdt thoughts. I was thinking it had to be a joke. 

I have one, too.  Mine is a Mercury Dime and a Lincoln Cent.  I got it for Christmas and love it.  Of course, it's a totally FAKE magic coin.  But it's fun to have in the binder.  

You should save it, it's cool!  

BUT... it's 100% fake.  

Edited by The Neophyte Numismatist

On 10/31/2022 at 9:30 PM, VKurtB said:

I have tryed to not give fedback because I’m not a profeffional. It’s nothing like the one coped from PCGS. 

I missed this the first time around.  There does appear to be something which must be addressed first before we can suggest additional resources to consider.  This is life.  One vast learning experience.

On 11/1/2022 at 6:10 PM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

I have one, too.  Mine is a Mercury Dime and a Lincoln Cent.  I got it for Christmas and love it.  Of course, it's a totally FAKE magic coin.  But it's fun to have in the binder.  

You should save it, it's cool!  

BUT... it's 100% fake.  

It's a hybrid comprised of two genuine pieces.  It's not a pedestrian fake; it's more like a "genuine" non-counterfeit fake.  :makepoint:

On 11/21/2022 at 1:29 PM, Redline68 said:

I've had a nickel since I was a kid that'll squirt water in my brother's eye if I can get him to look closely enough at the O in "OF". I wonder what it would grade.

Nickel Rev.jpg

Nickel Obv.jpg

Absent a date, I don't believe it can be assigned a grade.  😉 

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Wrong word used.