• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New NARA Research Items
1 1

45 posts in this topic

On 10/30/2022 at 10:43 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

If you didn't want to sell it, it's confiscation.  Especially when you are told you can get $20.67/oz. and then a few months later it is worth $35/oz., closer to the true spot global price of gold.

Confiscation is not being paid fair value --- eminent domain is the same concept. Note also that every person or entity had access to the courts, and no court ruled in favor of a plaintiff, including the Supreme Court. Kindly stick with facts not inflammatory, and false, rhetoric. :)

On 10/31/2022 at 9:52 AM, RWB said:

Confiscation is not being paid fair value --- eminent domain is the same concept. Note also that every person or entity had access to the courts, and no court ruled in favor of a plaintiff, including the Supreme Court. Kindly stick with facts not inflammatory, and false, rhetoric. :)

Viewing the events of 1933 from a 2022 standpoint will almost certainly lead you astray.   In 1933, for most people, gold had not the mythical appeal that it has today. It was just another medium of exchange. April 1933 just removed one for another. 
Given the way people act about gold, I wish Gerald Ford hadn’t lifted the ban in 1974. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 10/31/2022 at 10:52 AM, RWB said:

Confiscation is not being paid fair value --- eminent domain is the same concept. 

Right, the price Americans got for their gold was $20.67/oz. while the true value was closer to $35/oz. (probably $32 oz globally).

Are you defending the hand-ins of gold at gunpoint, Roger ? :|

On 10/31/2022 at 11:48 AM, VKurtB said:

Viewing the events of 1933 from a 2022 standpoint will almost certainly lead you astray.   In 1933, for most people, gold had not the mythical appeal that it has today. It was just another medium of exchange. April 1933 just removed one for another.  Given the way people act about gold, I wish Gerald Ford hadn’t lifted the ban in 1974. 

Doesn't matter.  People including many immigrants (like my family) were forced to turn in their gold at an unfair exchange price.

How would you like your stock portfolio or state pension to be bought out from you at 60 cents on the dollar ?

On 10/31/2022 at 1:01 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Doesn't matter.  People including many immigrants (like my family) were forced to turn in their gold at an unfair exchange price.

How would you like your stock portfolio or state pension to be bought out from you at 60 cents on the dollar ?

The Pennsylvania State Employee’s Retirement System (SERS) did precisely that with astonishing regularity. They didn’t outperform the market indices even one year of my time as an employee member. 

On 10/31/2022 at 3:40 PM, VKurtB said:

The Pennsylvania State Employee’s Retirement System (SERS) did precisely that with astonishing regularity. They didn’t outperform the market indices even one year of my time as an employee member. 

I'm aware of that....but as a defined benefit plan, it doesn't affect you (unless SERS/PA go broke).xD

On 11/3/2022 at 7:24 PM, CaptHenway said:

Love the old documents!

If you got to the NNP site and look for E-229 boxes 125-127, and E-235 volumes 41-44 you can see initial test products of the A2-size scanner. Compare to earlier files in the same entries.

On 10/31/2022 at 1:58 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Are you defending the hand-ins of gold at gunpoint, Roger ? :|

The "ends" were compliance and enforcement of the law.  The utilization of arms were simply a means to those ends.  It wouldn't matter whether one agreed with it or not.  In my experience, it is the select application of the law that bothers people most.  As long as the law applies to everyone, and is enforced evenly, without favor, your average person is okay with it.  

On 11/21/2022 at 1:47 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

The "ends" were compliance and enforcement of the law.  The utilization of arms were simply a means to those ends.  It wouldn't matter whether one agreed with it or not.  In my experience, it is the select application of the law that bothers people most.  As long as the law applies to everyone, and is enforced evenly, without favor, your average person is okay with it.  

They surely used to be. Lately, I’m not so sure. Lately, too many take law breaking as an individual right. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 11/21/2022 at 5:09 PM, VKurtB said:

They surely used to be. Lately, I’m not so sure. Lately, too many take law breaking as an individual right. 

In my neck of the woods, it's a daily (some may say, hourly) occurrence; in yours, I would hope not.

I find a good source of additional research to be hitting footnotes and bibliographies in good books on a topic.

Roger's SAINTS DE book is a great example.  He covers obscure topics, and if you want to dive in to the meat and potatos, there's plenty of footnotes or citations at the bottom of the pages.

I'm re-hitting parts of his book now dealing with coinage, hoarding, and foreign movements of gold. (thumbsu

On 11/21/2022 at 10:42 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

In my neck of the woods, it's a daily (some may say, hourly) occurrence; in yours, I would hope not.

Just different crimes/torts. I understand why ambulance chasing lawyer ads are ubiquitous here. Nobody here drives responsibly. It’s like New Jersey drivers on meth. 

On 11/22/2022 at 12:21 PM, VKurtB said:

Nobody here drives responsibly. It’s like New Jersey drivers on meth. 

Amputate their middle fingers. That'll slow 'em down... They'll have to "think" of obscenities not just do sign language.

On 11/22/2022 at 2:17 PM, RWB said:

Amputate their middle fingers. That'll slow 'em down... They'll have to "think" of obscenities not just do sign language.

Thinking is the rare thing. And these guys are literal rocket scientists. Down here you get lower insurance rates if you have “only one DUI”. In most of  Europe, one DUI causes PERMANENT loss of license. Screw insurance. 

Edited by VKurtB