• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Most Dollars Spent On A Single Coin And What Was It!

15 posts in this topic

@Simple Collector I don't have a budget like the rest of you guys do, major kudos for your extremely nice acquisitions, I'm sure those are some stunning coins!!

For me, the most I've ever spent is .50 cents. Yes, that's correct (albeit not a single coin though, sorry). That was on an extremely nice bank wrapped roll of pennies, but I keep having to return them due to needing the funds.  

Edited by GBrad

On 10/5/2022 at 12:46 PM, GBrad said:

@Simple Collector I don't have a budget like the rest of you guys do, major kudos for your extremely nice acquisitions, I'm sure those are some stunning coins!!

For me, the most I've ever spent is .50 cents. Yes, that's correct (albeit not a single coin though, sorry). That was on an extremely nice bank wrapped roll of pennies, but I keep having to return them due to needing the funds.  

My wife used to work at a bank and that is where I got quite a bit of silver coins! I was also able to get uncut sheets of bills as well. I found it astonishing that people would bring in rolls of silver coins and cash them in for bills. I also ended up with quite a few silver certificates.

On 10/5/2022 at 2:00 PM, GBrad said:

I know, RIGHT!!!! I simply do not understand why people do that other than not having a clue that certain dates were silver.  I would think that common sense would factor in and tell one that even melt value of silver coinage is more than face value (and not to mention varieties which I cannot hold that against a non-collector of course).  Oh well..... I don't take advantage of anyone, but at the same time, some folks lack of knowledge benefits those of us that are knowledgable on coins.  

P.S.- I was just trying to throw in some humor with my roll of penny comment.  I do own a few very nice coins (none in the $thousands though).  One of them came from our beloved @Coinbuf and also @Woods020 right here on the forum.  Thanks guys for your generosity in allowing me to purchase these from of you!! 

I think the biggest haul I got from her bank was about 10 rolls of Franklins all B U. An elderly couple brought them in and just wanted the bills. My wife told them they were worth much more than face value but were just not interested! 

On 10/5/2022 at 8:33 PM, Simple Collector said:

I think the biggest haul I got from her bank was about 10 rolls of Franklins all B U. An elderly couple brought them in and just wanted the bills. My wife told them they were worth much more than face value but were just not interested! 

WOW!

My top 3 are:

1. 1803 Draped Bust Large Cent - MS60
  2. 1795 Liberty Cap Half Cent - XF40
  3. 1814 Classic Head Large Cent - AU58

There are other coins in my collection that are similar in value (...and almost all of them are made of copper).  I <3 copper coins, but the prices make the set-build a slow process.

On 10/5/2022 at 6:15 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

came home with a bunch of coins and $180 left

sounds to me like you didn't apply yourself and go the distance. Or did y ou just run out of gas trying to make the circuit around the 1000 tables!!!   hahahahah  i usually come home from FUN needing to work overtime for the next month!    hahahahhah 

On 10/5/2022 at 11:03 AM, JT2 said:

i have been know to spend upwards of 4K for a real nice cent and 8K for a very nice nickel; these were actually more expensive then most of my halves and dollars.

Graded...or did you have faith in your ability to spend that money above face value with your grading skills ?

On 10/6/2022 at 7:16 AM, JT2 said:

sounds to me like you didn't apply yourself and go the distance. Or did y ou just run out of gas trying to make the circuit around the 1000 tables!!!   hahahahah  i usually come home from FUN needing to work overtime for the next month!    hahahahhah 

It was years of savings and pent-up demand.  I think I had started looking at 1923-D's in 2015...so I waited about 5 years to pull the trigger. (thumbsu

I think with my few remaining $$$ I was scraping the bottom of the barrel and bought a Walt Disney World Mickey Mouse certificate from 1971 when it first opened. xD  I stayed through the end (mistake) and by Sunday lots of dealers had packed up.

On 10/6/2022 at 2:06 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Graded...or did you have faith

I always have faith brother!!  No the ones i buy slabbed are the ones that everyone should make sure are real  77, 08-S, 09-S Indian cents  09-S VDB 14-D.    ect.  Also it is hard to find PF's that aren't already graded as well