• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1971s penny value and 1969 s penny

7 posts in this topic

I have two questions, first why would you post this in the registry section of the forum, and second what leads you to question if this has some value over the one cent face value?

Besides being in the wrong Forum, your heading says 1971S and 1969S cents but you are showing two 1971S cents. And why do you want to spend $50-60.00 to get them graded when you are told that they are worth 1 cent each? 

Geno g is apparently a new collector who thought that all "S" mint coins are valuable.  This is an old and all-too-common misconception.  The U.S. mint at San Francisco (then technically an assay office) made hundreds of millions of cents with the "S" mint mark for circulation each year from 1968 to 1974.   The mint issued over 544 million 1969-S and over 525 million 1971-S cents, and collectors and dealers saved many 50 coin rolls and 5,000 coin bags of bright red uncirculated pieces, which are more than sufficient to fulfill collector demand. Lightly circulated brown specimens like those shown in this and Geno g's other post are collected mostly by young collectors and others who prefer to collect coins from circulation and have little or no value above face.  (They may be worth saving for their copper content.)  The only ones that might be worth sending to a grading service would be coins that are not only red uncirculated but are spot and virtually mark free gems likely to grade "67" or higher.  Relatively few qualify.

Coin collecting can be an enjoyable and rewarding pastime, but knowledge is all important to make it so.  Geno g may wish to refer to some of the print and online resources referred to in the following article I posted:

Questions of this nature are also better posted on the "Newbie Coin Collecting Questions" or "U.S., World and Ancient Coins" forums.

Edited by Sandon

On 10/1/2022 at 5:22 PM, Geno g said:

Thank you so much . Geez I was just asking a question. But yes you were very helpful. I am new thank you 

Sometimes we experienced collectors want insight on the thought processes at work behind some questions. I know I surely do. I’m in this hobby 59 years and I can’t begin to understand the thought processes behind some questions on this forum.