• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DPRK NORTH KOREA
1 1

7 posts in this topic

I would like to see NGC add a competative set for DPRK NORTH KOREA coins.  I  have a very rare coin which I feel is worthy of competition due to the fact it's extremely rare. I picked it up myself in Pyongyang North Korea and you just dont see many coins from North Korea.  South Korea coins you see, not North Korea. Please make a place so I can share and compete with other rare coins.

Edited by W4CLM

• Administrator
On 9/27/2022 at 9:14 PM, W4CLM said:

I would like to see NGC add a competative set for DPRK NORTH KOREA coins.  I  have a very rare coin which I feel is worthy of competition due to the fact it's extremely rare. I picked it up myself in Pongyang North Korea and you just dont see many coins from North Korea.  South Korea coins you see, not North Korea. Please make a place so I can share and compete with other rare coins.

Hello. 
Please provide any relevant NGC certification numbers, so we may research your request. Thank you. 

HI Ms. Ali,  Thanks for taking an interest in my posting RE: north Korean Coins.

The NGC number on my coin is 2847531-001

These coins are extremely rare in the United States and typically sell for 900 to 1000 U.S, dollars last time I've seen one up for sale.

I picked this up myself in Pyongyang the capital of Nort Korea in 1996, would be nice if there were a place listed for all DPRK 

Democratic People's Republic of Korea of North Korea.   Bet we won't see many coins in such a category

thanks.  

Ms. Ali, 

I have been messing with the idea of using the Custom NGC set registry.  Not being familiar with this,

it took me an hour to figure this thing out and I'm still not sure if it's listed under a custom set properly, the way I did it

Wouldn't it just be easier to have a place under world coins in the registry for NORTH KOREA.

Set me straight here, is it that the team doesn't recognize the geography and separation of both North Korea and South Korea as two different countries?  I'm not trying to be a smart arse here but having been in both North and South Korea they are two separate countries. You would think with all the countries in the world NGC would recognize the two Korea's as such.  Too, I'm not sure just how many of these 1994 North Korean coins have been certified, I've only seen a couple other than mine, I serious doubt if there are many coins from North Korea being submitted.  That said - I'd still like to submit it under the normal means into the registry. I'm just not sure if this idea of a custom registry set for one coin is the best way to go.  The registry country list currently shows (KOREA & SOUTH KOREA) But it will not accept this coin in the regular registry under the current listings and it kicks me back to the board here.  

Just FYI.  If I try to put it under Korea & South Korea I get the following message below. 

1994 N. Korea S20W KIM IL SUNG'S DEATH
NGC PF 69 ULTRA CAMEO
2847531-001

The competitive NGC Registry doesn't accept this coin yet. This often means that the coin is new.

Thanks again.

Regards

Carol

@W4CLM

Hi Carol.  When you see the response, "Our team has decided this coin is best represented in a Custom NGC Registry set." I believe the message is that there is simply not enough interest from the coin collecting community to warrant NGC investing time & resources to create a new set list, determine values, host the pages, etc...  

I would very much doubt it is related to recognizing the geography and established statehood of each country.