• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2016 Silver Eagle 30th Anniversary

6 posts in this topic

Hello new friends,

I have 5 un opened sets of the 2016 Silver Eagle 30th Anniversary sets, in the box from the mint.

I am not a sophisticated collector; my question:  should I get these graded and hope for a 70 rating or try to sell the box as is, un opened, not sure if that has value.

Any thoughts appreciated.  Jim

I was checking eBay sold items and it looks like the raw sets are going about  $70-$100, while the graded 70 sets are several hundred or more. Even if they came back as a 68 or 69 this might be the time to get these graded as they are the only ones edge incused. IMHO   I would send them in.

Allow me to provide a different opinion.  In my view, it makes no sense to submit recently issued modern coins that you received in original mint packaging for third party certification.  There is no question as to their authenticity, and virtually all of them are Superb Gems, with large numbers grading "70", which are virtually indistinguishable from nearly all of the others, which are graded "69". (I store mine in mint packaging or mint capsules, except for pieces I've bought for registry sets, with some "70s" costing less than their current grading fees!)  Once you've paid the grading and processing fees and shipping and insurance costs, you would likely make little or no profit by selling the certified pieces grading "70" at wholesale prices to dealers or through auctions after commissions.  Any pieces grading "69" or lower would likely be salable only at a loss.

Dealers may be able to submit the coins more cheaply than you can.  You should ask the dealers to whom you might sell the coins what they would pay for uncertified pieces and what they would pay for pieces already graded "69" or "70" before attempting to submit them yourself. 

I don't know why your sets are "unopened".  They should have been inspected when received in case any coins were missing or damaged, as has happened.  The mint's return privilege is only seven days.

Jim

don't shot yourself in the foot. Most of these coins graded have lost value after the hype of the issue.  most modern coins are not worth getting graded at the fees and cost of getting them graded.  leave them in the OGP and you will server yourself well my friend.  

JT2, thanks.

I 100% agree with you, after all the friction of getting them graded, just not net net worth it.  I missed the boat , should have sold in the frenzy that followed the release.

As a 30+ yrs equity market vet, the same applies to coins I'm finding, people love to buy but don't have a plan to exit.   I'm guilty of it.  

I suppose I'll finally open the box, take a look.  Hope and pray that spot silver goes up to help the values, I don't need the $ so I can wait but on the other hand, my interest in these particular coins isn't that great.  I called a LCS. from my hometown, I'd be up for trading for old US gold coins, I'd enjoy those more and probably better prospects as to future returns.

JPM----Are the sets lettered edges?  Not sure what you mean, but I'll probably open the darn box this week and see what I have, lol.