• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1992 Kennedy Half , tone

7 posts in this topic

Idk if its toned, it may be a novelty plated half dollar by one of the private mints (Bradford, Merrick, etc.) where you might see an infomercial selling them. See the attached which is a more recent example. Can be thinly plated with gold or other metals.

2013 Kennedy Gold Plated Half Dollar Merrick Mint.jpg

Edited by EagleRJO

Try Merrick or JD Bullion, but idk if they have older ones like you posted or what that would be valued at. Prolly not more than what a more modern 24k gold plated one would go for at around $12.

I came across something similar a while ago buying bullion coins, and some scam artists were trying to pass them off as solid gold (like an eBay or Etsy listing). There is also at least one site that even recently claims to be "selling" gold coins like Saints and half eagles at under spot prices. All images ripped off from the Apmex site which I recognized. If it sounds too good to be true ... buyer beware!

Edited by EagleRJO

Gold plated junk is common. The plating is so thin that you'd need hundreds to have a meaningful quantity of gold. They might be offered for sale at "$12" but they are worth not more than 50-cents each.

I agree they really are just common novelty items, and Billy Mays would be proud of what they are selling for. @dnico1988x were you looking to just get more info on a coin you have? If you saw the posted coin and wanted to know where to get one see RWB's comments above.