• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1982 D Lincoln penny

4 posts in this topic

Your photo shows that this is a 1982-D large date cent, which was struck in large quantities in both 95% copper alloy and in copper plated zinc.  Both are extremely common--over six billion 1982-D cents of both date sizes and compositions were struck in total--and unless in gem uncirculated condition, which yours is not, worth only their one cent face value.  The weight of 3.1 grams indicates that yours is 95% copper, the more common of the two with the large date.  It is not rare.

You have no doubt seen some sensationalist video or site on the internet that referred to the 1982-D small date cent struck in the 95% copper alloy, which was only recently discovered.   It is extremely unlikely that you would ever find one of these, but it would also have a weight of approximately 3.1 grams, as opposed to the 2.5 grams of a copper plated zinc cent, of which all 1982-D small dates were until recently thought to have been.  To see the difference in date sizes, refer to the photos at Lincoln Cents, Memorial Reverse (1959-2008) | VarietyPlus® | NGC (ngccoin.com). (Right click for the menu to open the link and click on the large and small date varieties for enlarged photos.)

If you are a new collector, you should acquire basic reference materials to learn about coins.  I have made some suggestions in the following post on this forum:

Thank you so much for your expertise! I have tried to read up on how to determine whether it was large or small date, but my eyes just can't differentiate. I really appreciate you taking the time to respond!

If you are on the hunt for a 1982-D copper small date (even though the odds of finding one are astronomical, maybe zero) see the attached which may help in your future endeavors to go along with the descriptions by Sandon.

1982-D Lincoln Copper Penny Small Date vs Large Date.jpg