• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Book Nickels
1 1

12 posts in this topic

It is a stormy rainy day today . I was going through some of the nicer looking nickels I have saved to put in the coin books. These three coins look too nice. They look like old circulated proofs to me from the looks of the rims. I am always testing my numismatic observations and there are lots of friends here to help keep me in check lol  So if anyone else thinks the same feel free to post your thoughts?  

Old 61.jpg

Old 61 Reverse.jpg

Old 63.jpg

Old 63 Reverse.jpg

Old 64.jpg

Old 64 Reverse.jpg

On 9/22/2022 at 5:31 PM, VKurtB said:

I don’t think so. 

Thanks for your thoughts VKurtB  It is just a old coin book, but still I would like it to be regular circulation strike coins.   

On 9/22/2022 at 7:54 PM, EagleRJO said:

Are the darker appearing areas in the fields toning or smutch?

Not bad for bank roll coins. Just some tone after kicking around for 60 years. I think they are nice looking coins for the circulation book. I just wanted to be sure they were not proofs. Thanks Guys 

three old coins.jpg

three old coins reverse .jpg

Edited by J P M

On 9/22/2022 at 7:41 PM, J P M said:

Not bad for bank roll coins. Just some tone after kicking around for 60 years. I think they are nice looking coins for the circulation book. I just wanted to be sure they were not proofs. Thanks Guys 

three old coins.jpg

three old coins reverse .jpg

Are we talking schmutz?

I think "smutch" refers more to dark stains and "schmutz" refers more to dirt and grime. It doesn't look like "schmutz" on the coin, so I think at least in terms of my question it was asking more about "smutch". :roflmao:

On 9/23/2022 at 3:08 PM, EagleRJO said:

I think "smutch" refers more to dark stains and "schmutz" refers more to dirt and grime. It doesn't look like "schmutz" on the coin, so I think at least in terms of my question it was asking more about "smutch". :roflmao:

Never heard of it.