• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Opinions Please on The Redfield Hoard Morgans in The Paramount Int'l Coin Holders

14 posts in this topic

While browsing Morgans on eBay, I see a lot of Redfield Hoard coins for sale in the Red Plastic holders.  Virtually all are classified as "gems".

Other than numismatic history, are these worth more than Morgans in TPG holders?

Does NGC grade these and affix the NGC sticker to the Red holder?

122907743_Screenshot2022-09-19at09-59-151897MorganSilverDollarRedfieldHoardGEM4111eBay.png.05baab49ec063933b65981c548b6db1e.png

Just a heads up as you are still new to the forum, this marketplace section of the forum is for members that are trying to sell coins.   Conversations and questions about coins are better suited for the US/world or newbie sections of the forum.   To answer your question, yes there is a premium for these holders, much like the GSA coins.   How much of a premium depends on several factors and certainly the actual coin itself plays a large part in that calc.   I do not know if NGC will certify these with the band similar to the way they do the GSA coins as I have never submitted one, perhaps another member knows this.

I have flagged this post so that a mod can move it to a more appropriate section of the forum.

Judging by your username I assume you were in Vietnam in '68 and '69. Please allow me to take this opportunity to say, "Welcome home," just in case no one told you that when you got off the ship or plane that brought you back to the States.

NGC will grade Redfield dollars and return them in the original holders, but most of the grades are lower than the Redfield holders would suggest.  “Gem Uncirculated” would usually be considered MS-65 or better, but most Redfield “Gem Uncirculated” dollars get a 63 or 64 from NGC.  Also, NGC does not guarantee the grade unless the coin is in an NGC holder (I think this applies to GSA dollars also).  Run a search on “Redfield NGC” on ebay - you’ll find dozens of them.

Edited by CBC
Spelling

...as mentioned, yes ngc certifies these same as gsa dollars, yes they bring a fairly substantial premium n yes most of the paramount grades r inflated by todays standards...u should be aware that some dollars r encapsulated in red paramount holders that r not redfield coins, these will not have the redfield annotation on the insert n r worth much less....also these coins were encapsulated with black inserts as well....

On 9/19/2022 at 5:30 PM, Just Bob said:

Judging by your username I assume you were in Vietnam in '68 and '69. Please allow me to take this opportunity to say, "Welcome home," just in case no one told you that when you got off the ship or plane that brought you back to the States.

Thanks.  I was a USAF ER medic at a base outside of Saigon from Jul 68 until I got home on the 4th of July 1969.  I don't remember anyone saying welcome home except for friends and family.  I think the Welcome Home started some years later when people realized that we got no respect like the WW2 guys and no parades. I always thank the WW2 vets if I see one and tell them if not for their sacrifice, we'd be speaking German or Japanese right now.  Cheers, Bob

On 9/19/2022 at 6:24 PM, CBC said:

NGC will grade Redfield dollars and return them in the original holders, but most of the grades are lower than the Redfield holders would suggest.  “Gem Uncirculated” would usually be considered MS-65 or better, but most Redfield “Gem Uncirculated” dollars get a 63 or 64 from NGC.  Also, NGC does not guarantee the grade unless the coin is in an NGC holder (I think this applies to GSA dollars also).  Run a search on “Redfield NGC” on ebay - you’ll find dozens of them.

Thanks for the info.

On 9/19/2022 at 7:18 PM, zadok said:

...as mentioned, yes ngc certifies these same as gsa dollars, yes they bring a fairly substantial premium n yes most of the paramount grades r inflated by todays standards...u should be aware that some dollars r encapsulated in red paramount holders that r not redfield coins, these will not have the redfield annotation on the insert n r worth much less....also these coins were encapsulated with black inserts as well....

Thanks for the reply.  I looked closely at some (they all seem to say "Gem" (LoL) and I would guess most likely MS62 or 63.  Cheers, Bob

On 9/19/2022 at 8:37 PM, VietMedic6869 said:

Thanks for the info.

Goldfinger1969

No, I find them interesting but didn't buy any.  I'm familiar with the GSA coins as I got an 1883CC and 1884CC back in 1973 or so.  I believe the GSA had a lottery on them and I managed to pick up both in the GSA holders.

Thanks for your kind remarks. 

Bob

On 11/13/2022 at 11:18 AM, VietMedic6869 said:

I'm familiar with the GSA coins as I got an 1883CC and 1884CC back in 1973 or so.  I believe the GSA had a lottery on them and I managed to pick up both in the GSA holders.

You got some great coins -- Carson City is hot and you bought them for a fraction of what they command today.

Interesting....when Bowers and his group got outbid by A-Mark for the coins, they paid just over $7 MM for them back in the late-1970's I believe.

Edited by GoldFinger1969