• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your 5 cent pieces.
2 2

787 posts in this topic

On 9/15/2022 at 9:00 PM, DWLange said:

Ohhh---Numistamps! I have a complete set of those in the custom album. It was an affordable way to collect USA type coins at the time.

Ya, I collect jeffs and wound up getting these cheap on ebay a few yrs back. Had intentions of getting others but never got there. 

Hey David, have you ever figured out what type of metal these were made of?

Edited by bsshog40

On 9/16/2022 at 3:38 PM, DWLange said:

I don't know their compositions, but the manufacturer did a great job of simulating the colors of gold, silver and copper.

...original advertisement listed nickel, silver n other metals...specifically stated the gold coins would be made with a gold finish...other subsequent articles referenced copper, bronze n brass....

On 9/16/2022 at 5:25 PM, Sandon said:

After all that "great looking stuff", how about something that's truly awful looking but nevertheless interesting?  This is an 1801 half dime that I purchased at a local coin auction in 1999.  It is the only Draped Bust, Heraldic Eagle half dime that I've acquired in over fifty years of collecting.  Half dimes are in my experience the hardest denomination of this design type to obtain.  Although it is battered and abused, it is one of those coins that I wish could speak so that I could hear the stories it could tell, perhaps including being stepped on by a horse!  I submitted it to NGC earlier this year in the hope of using it to fill some type set registry slots, but NGC concluded that it had an "altered surface" and would not grade or encapsulate it.  At least I am able to share its photo here.

1801 half dime obv..jpg

1801 half dime rev..jpg

I would say my surfaces will be altered too at the age of 221. Great piece. I like anything with that reverse. Thanks for posting it.