• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your 5 cent pieces.
2 2

801 posts in this topic

On 10/16/2022 at 1:08 PM, numisport said:

Its countereit right ?

Congenital defect of some sort.  They never caught the guy who stole the steps, but the humongous MM is listed as missing.  Counterfeit? I dunno. Where's @Lem E?  :makepoint:

On 10/16/2022 at 1:08 PM, numisport said:

Its countereit right ?

Isnt that one of Henning's nickels? Id really like to get one sometime in the future. I was going to buy one while back but when I looked at them they were pretty expensive. Never dreamed a counterfeit would be so collectable. 

As stated in the standard "Redbook" (note on p.139 of 2021 edition under listing of "wartime silver alloy" five cent pieces), "1944 nickels without mintmarks are counterfeits".  They were readily identified by the lack of the large mintmark above the dome, and as I recall the Mr. Henning who made them had to spend some time in a federal penitentiary.  They have, however, become collectible in their own right. @Quintus Arrius--I don't recall any such pieces dated 1954.

On 9/19/2022 at 9:22 AM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

This nickel is actually a counterfeit.  This nickel was made by Francis Henning.  "Henning Nickels" have become collectible in their own right.  The primary identifier is the missing mint mark above Monticello (as seen on other War Nickels).

These nickels are so popular, that they are often faked (can you imagine a fake of a fake?).  The arrow points to the die marker (the little flare coming off the last corner of Monticello) that shows that this "coin" is a genuine fake :bigsmile:.

Here is his mug shot:

image.jpeg.b2abeb1cb5f5798873f4824ca5f2d80f.jpeg

@The Neophyte Numismatist went into a little more detail on this coin here. 

On 10/16/2022 at 7:44 AM, Quintus Arrius said:

Two from Frisco. Same date.  Couldn't help yourself. I understand.

These two 41 Large S coins are almost identical in hand. I got the second one MUCH cheaper than the first. According to Nagengast, there were less than 10 die pairs used with only 1 pair having the large S mintmark. It is said that the 1941 S Washington quarters with this large S mintmark are few and far between.

Edited by Lem E

On 10/12/2022 at 10:09 PM, Hoghead515 said:

Really breaks my heart this one is scratched. Probably from a staple on a coin flip. Even though it has mushy details, I really like this one. I keep it in a cardboard coin flip. I really like how alot of these buffalo nickels have the streaky toning to them. You can see the large scratch at the top of the reverse. Its sad to see these old coins get damaged. Espically when it can probably be prevented alot of times. Lumii_20221012_220232122.thumb.jpg.79cdacedceefeeb7e01b8a3f072ff148.jpgLumii_20221012_220053512.thumb.png.c1c0331eb3d6abe7054a5d5a185f9037.png

Are you talking about reverse scratch through 'OF' ? Could it be die scratch ?

On 10/16/2022 at 3:56 PM, numisport said:

I think these Franklin Mint proofs are really nice. 

Sorry to dark, I'll work on that. Thinking about purchasing equipment. Are these digital microscopes what I want ?

WIN_20221016_16_40_33_Pro.jpg

WIN_20221016_16_41_26_Pro.jpg

They look nice. I like the pineapple. I get half way decent results with my phone. I don’t own a digital microscope so I’m not sure how well they do with full coin images.

On 10/16/2022 at 1:57 PM, Sandon said:

.... @Quintus Arrius--I don't recall any such pieces dated 1954.

There is a simple explanation for that----there weren't any... at least not by Henning.  My error, my apologies to you, @Hoghead515 and@The Neophyte NumismatistThe year "1953" stuck in my mind, but Hog's post refreshed my [skewed]  recollection.

Apparently, Henning produced "several hundred thousand and perhaps as many as a half million coins (dimes, quarters and half dollars)----bearing dates 1939, 1944, 1946, 1947 and 1953."

So detailed was the account provided by the author of "The Strange Story of the Henning Counterfeit Nickels," (2020) that he ended it with the advisory:  "Note:  All my coins are in a safe deposit box. I keep nothing in my home."

I apologize for the confusion.

On 10/16/2022 at 4:52 PM, numisport said:

Are you talking about reverse scratch through 'OF' ? Could it be die scratch ?

Yea. Its a big scratch from a staple or something. It would definately get the dreaded details grade.