• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'Variety plus' of Brazilian coins, catalog ignored when mentioning in certification

40 posts in this topic

What is PCGS' policy re varieties?  Do they recognize them in your series?  I would be academically curious as to how they approach the matter of world coin attributions. 

coin rating when the state of conservation is very subjective, my analysis may not be the same as yours.  but I use some shapes, first field of the coin, if it doesn't have scratches, shine, among other things.  of 1200 coins practically.  I had about 20 coins as details (those I practically sent to get an opinion) and about 30 coins between XF to Au58, all other mint states ranging from Ms61 to Ms67.  Particularly I liked all the classifications in terms of state of conservation.  one or another coin that would be a point more or a point less.

On 9/18/2022 at 10:19 AM, Galo Collection said:

but NGC, PCGS and so many other certifiers should certainly care about all the variants,

You have uncovered the essential truth. They don’t and it’s very difficult to make them. 

A question I do not have an answer for:  Americans, by and large, collect U.S. coins, among others. I assume the Spanish, French, German and Italian do the same. Has a TPGS situated In the United States refused/declined to recognize a variety on a Brazilian coin for no other reason than the country that minted the coin does not recognize or accept the variety? I believe I can speak with confidence when I say I currently own foreign coins that clearly exhibit varieties but hesitate to ask our hosts to recognize something the nation who made them does not, clearly because it would be bad form to do so.  This is a touchy matter I seldom see members address on this Forum.

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Die polishing: clarification

On 9/18/2022 at 11:36 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

A question I do not have an answer for:  Americans, by and large, collect U.S. coins, among others. I assume the Spanish, French, German and Italian do the same. Has a TPGS situated In the United States refused/declined to recognize a variety on a Brazilian coin for no other reason than the country that minted the coin does not recognize or accept the variety? I believe I can speak with confidence when I say I currently own foreign coins that clearly exhibit varieties but hesitate to ask our hosts to recognize something the nation who made them does not, clearly because it would be bad form to do so.  This is a touchy matter I seldom see members address on this Forum.

...u r making this more complex than it is...the basic economics of the issue r clear...the tpgs can not relegate significant resources, time money limited employees, to developing an extensive complex data base on hundreds of varieties for dozens if not hundreds of obscure mintages n then verify the actual existence of said varieties for just a handful of collectors in those series...

@zadok:

Balderdash! Not a day goes by that readers don't come across some "new discovery" having been made, invariably always involving a hitherto unknown "variety," of some kind. Wasn't the last a '22-D Double Eagle? The fact that a variety may be unique does not make it any less of a variety. Unknown varieties are practically a regular occurrence.  Your vitriol should more properly be directed at someone who insists his Yap "coin" is different and unlike anything anyone has ever seen before.  :roflmao:

Edited by Quintus Arrius
De-escalation of terminology used.

On 9/19/2022 at 1:16 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

@zadok:

Nonsense.  Not a day goes by that readers don't come across some "new discovery" having been made, invariably always involving a hitherto unknown "variety," of some kind. Wasn't the last a '22-D Double Eagle? The fact that a variety may be unique does not make it any less of a variety. Unknown varieties are practically a regular occurrence.  Your vitriol should more properly be directed at someone who insists his Yap "coin" is different and unlike anything anyone has ever seen before.  :roflmao:

...thanks for making my case..."not a day goes by"...no data base would ever be complete n impossible to maintain n at great costs...major varieties merit attention minor ones not so much many of which r just die states...to create/maintain a variety base used to authenicate coins for variety certification on obscure coins is not cost effective n the tpgs r not community service organizations..."vitriol" ? humorous, u r lucky i even react to many of ur comments anymore, significant loss of numismatic content, ur foray into the rabbit hole with that buffoon, excessive verbage that takes away from the discussion...none of these add to ur standing in the forum...it was much better when u discussed ur rooster collection...yes im searching for a square holed Yap variety, i may have it dropped shipped to u in east harlem since my space is becoming limited....

🐓:  I believe you owe @zadok an apology.

Q.A.:  Right about that, Ricky. I do not ordinarily do this--character defect-- but I am constrained to carve out an exception for you. I APOLOGIZE! Everything you've said is true and I appreciate your bringing it to my attention. I don't know what's gotten into me lately. I'm a little older now; time for me to shape up and buckle down, or ship out. I will, henceforth, try to be more a contributor on this Forum than a detractor--and distraction. Back to Basics.  "Cherie, have you seen my roosters?"  "Oui, they are right here where you left them."  Ah, all is well in the world. Good nite, z!  Thanks for dropping by.  Bonne nuit!

On 9/19/2022 at 11:25 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

🐓:  I believe you owe @zadok an apology.

Q.A.:  Right about that, Ricky. I do not ordinarily do this--character defect-- but I am constrained to carve out an exception for you. I APOLOGIZE! Everything you've said is true and I appreciate your bringing it to my attention. I don't know what's gotten into me lately. I'm a little older now; time for me to shape up and buckle down, or ship out. I will, henceforth, try to be more a contributor on this Forum than a detractor--and distraction. Back to Basics.  "Cherie, have you seen my roosters?"  "Oui, they are right here where you left them."  Ah, all is well in the world. Good nite, z!  Thanks for dropping by.  Bonne nuit!

...as long as u know that ricky n lucy r dead n that u r talking to ghosts n that roosters dont lay eggs u r probably ok....