• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Queen has died
1 1

43 posts in this topic

Well the last time this happened it seemed that all the 1952 issues depicted George VI, but all the 1953 issues depicted Elizabeth II, though I am not sure of the exact timing relative to coronation since I was not yet alive when that occurred.

On 9/8/2022 at 6:30 PM, Modwriter said:

I have noticed Queen Elizabeth's portrait has changed through the years. I have sold several QEII British Commonwealth coins in the past and now have only Canadian coins.

I prefer the first by far.  I still have a modest number from South Africa before the country changed to a republic and left the Commonwealth.

On 9/11/2022 at 12:55 PM, World Colonial said:

I prefer the first by far.  I still have a modest number from South Africa before the country changed to a republic and left the Commonwealth.

The last effigy of Her Majesty, used on Australian circulating coins of 2020 or 2021, I forget which, was in my opinion quite unflattering. Really tough. 

On 9/12/2022 at 9:04 PM, tigerbait said:

I love this image of her.  RIP.  Question- Should I remove this coin from the packaging or has any damage already been done?

It's never too late to get a coin into a non-PVC holder. I have many coins that I've left in the original crappy packaging but only because they are not particularly valuable AND I have a top notch duplicate removed from the packaging and stored properly somewhere else. I like to keep such things for show and tell but only if it makes sense to. 

On 9/8/2022 at 8:30 PM, VKurtB said:

I really dislike advance dating. It’s a horrible idea. 

Maybe so, but now you've got a collector's collectible!  :makepoint: (worship)

I love this image of her.  RIP.  Question- Should I remove this coin from the packaging or has any damage already been done?

1972 Cayman Islands Queen- OBV.jpg

1972 Cayman Islands Queen- REV.jpg

Maybe it's just me, but I prefer my coins in, what's that term I've seen used... ah, yes, OGP (or something like that.) Besides, if the old sarcophagus works, why exhume the work of art? Let sleeping coins lie, I always say.  [If ever there was a prime candidate for re-internment, that honor goes to any number of proof sets issued in filmy glsssines stapled together and placed lovingly in flimsy cardboard presentation boxes.]  :whistle:

1972 Cayman Islands Queen- OBV.jpg

1972 Cayman Islands Queen- REV.jpg

Maybe it's just me, but I prefer my coins in, what's that term I've seen used... ah, yes, OGP (or something like that.) Besides, if the old sarcophagus works, why exhume the work of art? Let sleeping coins lie, I always say.  [If ever there was a prime candidate for re-internment, that honor goes to any number of proof sets issued in filmy glsssines stapled together and placed lovingly in flimsy cardboard presentation boxes.]  :whistle:

On 9/13/2022 at 6:32 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

Not just you. I am a HUGE believer in OGP. I know I’m writing this on NGC’s board, but I can’t fathom this desire to have every darned modern thing encapsulated in TPGS plastic. Yes, I know some people say it has to be graded if you want to sell it, but that is simply a bald-faced lie. 

On 9/14/2022 at 12:02 PM, VKurtB said:

Not just you. I am a HUGE believer in OGP. I know I’m writing this on NGC’s board, but I can’t fathom this desire to have every darned modern thing encapsulated in TPGS plastic. Yes, I know some people say it has to be graded if you want to sell it, but that is simply a bald-faced lie. 

True. We have somehow managed to buy and sell without sarcophagi since the late Paleozoic era.  :facepalm:

On 9/14/2022 at 12:01 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

True. We have somehow managed to buy and sell without sarcophagi since the late Paleozoic era.  :facepalm:

It might be true that you will have a hard time selling raw coins to certain buyers, but those buyers and I seldom travel in the same circles. I’m a mean green coin show attending machine. We have discovered something important about real pro dealers from the NGC grading contest. The winner was former ANA President, owner of Mid-American Coin Galleries, and editor of the Red Book, the one and only Jeff Garrett, who greets me by my first name every time we meet. A true Kentucky gentleman. 

Edited by VKurtB