• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Queen has died
1 1

43 posts in this topic

On 9/8/2022 at 5:30 PM, Modwriter said:

I have noticed Queen Elizabeth's portrait has changed through the years. I have sold several QEII British Commonwealth coins in the past and now have only Canadian coins.

Her Majesty has been around for seven different effigies on Commonwealth coins. Interestingly, the last was never used in the U.K., but was used at least in Australia. 

On 9/8/2022 at 7:23 PM, VKurtB said:

Wish we could fast forward to William. 

Someone tweeted/predicted the exact date that Queen Elizabeth would.pass away and predicted Charles III will pass in 2025. The time stamp was dated January 2022. I should have made a screen shot...

On 9/8/2022 at 9:01 PM, DWLange said:

How do you think the U S Mint has the current year's eagles for sale in January?

That's a fair point, however I don't recall them being released to the public prior to January.  A number of world mints, however, release coinage well ahead of the year presented on the respective coins.

On 9/9/2022 at 9:28 AM, zadok said:

...maybe should go with Charlotte then....

A better candidate, no doubt. Perhaps just leave QEII as currently depicted, update the text and have Charles III's portrait off to the side as a miniscule privy. lol

On 9/9/2022 at 7:43 AM, jtryka said:

That's a fair point, however I don't recall them being released to the public prior to January.  A number of world mints, however, release coinage well ahead of the year presented on the respective coins.

The Royal Mint has had 2023 coins available to purchase for sometime, you still can but they seem to be experiencing heavy web traffic currently.

image.thumb.png.5f1545206a4e8c08e30ddf4b44efbfa4.png

On 9/9/2022 at 10:46 AM, Zebo said:

Or better yet - George.

“Wills” is set to resume a great British numismatic tradition, that of the prodigious monarchical shnozz as seen on Georgian coins. 

On 9/9/2022 at 8:28 AM, zadok said:

...maybe should go with Charlotte then....

Charlotte will never be queen. Freddie Mercury’s corpse has a better chance. 

On 9/9/2022 at 12:25 PM, VKurtB said:

Charlotte will never be queen. Freddie Mercury’s corpse has a better chance. 

...never said be queen just saying she presents a better profile for coinage...since Charlotte diminutive of Charles maybe put an asterisk or as mentioned above a privy mark for daddy?...in all seriousness im guessing u prob wont see Charles III coinage until late 2023 or early 2024, not sure what we will see in the interim maybe QE II commemoratives or memorial issues...or some of both...be interesting to see if they depict Charles with or without crown....

On 9/9/2022 at 11:58 AM, VKurtB said:

“Wills” is set to resume a great British numismatic tradition, that of the prodigious monarchical shnozz as seen on Georgian coins. 

...thats quite an odiferous comment to make ...

On 9/9/2022 at 5:07 PM, zadok said:

...never said be queen just saying she presents a better profile for coinage...since Charlotte diminutive of Charles maybe put an asterisk or as mentioned above a privy mark for daddy?...in all seriousness im guessing u prob wont see Charles III coinage until late 2023 or early 2024, not sure what we will see in the interim maybe QE II commemoratives or memorial issues...or some of both...be interesting to see if they depict Charles with or without crown....

I think there is enough time remaining in 2022 so that it would be possible for all actual circulating 2023 coins to depict Charles III if such a thing can be done pre-Coronation by tradition. The Coronation will probably be in the Spring. The new technology of coin creation makes it trivially easy for all 2023 circulating coinage to be Charles III. A nearly current effigy already exists in the Royal Mint’s  sculpture art collection  

Edited by VKurtB

On 9/9/2022 at 6:35 PM, VKurtB said:

I think there is enough time remaining in 2022 so that it would be possible for all actual circulating 2023 coins to depict Charles III if such a thing can be done pre-Coronation by tradition. The Coronation will probably be in the Spring. The new technology of coin creation makes it trivially easy for all 2023 circulating coinage to be Charles III. A nearly current effigy already exists in the Royal Mint’s  sculpture art collection  

...guess we will find out over next few months im sure that question will be asked n someone will write an article in the Numismatist etc....