• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

53D Lincoln error on reverse?

10 posts in this topic

Found in pocket change recently I've searched all over net haven't seen anything like it. The E in the ONE CENT has some kind of problem. Any thoughts? What would this be classified as?

20220816_181514.jpg

20220815_153942.jpg

20220814_204427.jpg

On 8/16/2022 at 8:44 PM, EagleRJO said:

Interesting that part of a coin. like the upper part of that letter "E", can get "pushed" down or moved like that.

Yeah it is funny I would assume there would be a metal tear or a fold but there isnt.

On 8/16/2022 at 8:59 PM, Mitchjr said:

Yeah it is funny I would assume there would be a metal tear or a fold but there isnt.

Yea, that's what I would have thought too, with there being at least some indication of movement like that even if copper is a softer metal.  But we are just looking at photos and I don't know if having the coin in your hand and looking at it with say a 40x led loupe might make a difference.

Maybe @DWLange could shed some light on that for us.

I see it all the time roll hunting. The metal gets moved and you can't see a trace or a scratch because of circulation wear. I have even seen a chunk moved to another part of the face and then it got slammed back in and reattached. Now that's cool but still it is not a error just damage.

On 8/17/2022 at 5:55 AM, J P Mashoke said:

I see it all the time roll hunting. The metal gets moved and you can't see a trace or a scratch because of circulation wear.

@J P Mashoke I guess that makes sense when you think it through, as there likely is some initial indications/traces of the metal movement, and then over time those indications/traces are worn down due to wear.

I have even seen a chunk moved to another part of the face and then it got slammed back in and reattached. Now that's cool but still it is not a error just damage.

Now that would be very cool to see! Have any pics?

Edited by EagleRJO