• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Economy Tier and Strike Character designations

4 posts in this topic

I am new to NGC. I have only submitted coins using their “standard” tier. I would like to save some money and use their “economy” tier, but I have two related questions/concerns:

1) Do coins still get checked and graded for Strike Characters such as Full Steps for Jefferson nickels and Full Bands for dimes if you submit the coins under the economy tier?

2) Is there a lesser chance of receiving Strike Character designations if you submit a coin under the Economy tier as compared to a more expensive tier?

To the best of my knowledge NGC will review the coin for strike designations under the economy tier just the same as any other tier.

I am not aware of any bias by any TPG to note or not any strike designation because of the tier it is sent under.   The only change you might see is if the strike designation adds significant value to the coin then NGC might automatically change the tier level and charge you the difference.   This can happen with some dates/mm; as an example some FB Merc dimes have quite a value change vs a same grade non FB example.