• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

VKurtB’s ANA Rosemont Show Thread

78 posts in this topic

On 8/13/2022 at 8:09 PM, VKurtB said:

As for me, I’ve literally SLEPT IN 49 of the 50 states

Silly @VKurtB! Everyone knows theres 52 states! Just like there's an "e" at the end of potato! Wait a sec, why didn't the "e" auto fill when i typed potato. Crud, did it again. I wonder if the programmer knows he spelled potato without the "e". Did it again. Anyway, haha! Gotcha on that one! 

On 8/14/2022 at 4:58 AM, Quintus Arrius said:

Okay, that leaves one. Hawaii too expensive?; Alaska too cold?

Alaska too FAR. 

I’m retired. My usual is the zero hour work day. Yesterday was the 12 hour driving day (with traffic jams, and stops for fuel, food, and umm, personal needs stops.) Included was an hour navigating beeeyoutiful downtown Gary, Indiana because of an I-90 accident. Stopped for a hot dog, iced tea, and fuel fill yesterday near Fort Knox. It smelled like a mix of bluegrass banjos and goldbug tears. Rained like crazy on the Indianapolis beltway. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 8/15/2022 at 2:35 PM, VKurtB said:

I’m retired. My usual is the zero hour work day. Yesterday was the 12 hour driving day (with traffic jams, and stops for fuel, food, and umm, personal needs stops.) Included was an hour navigating beeeyoutiful downtown Gary, Indiana because of an I-90 accident. 

...volunteers never retire, they r the mules or camels if u prefer of the hobby...without which the hobby would collapse...ur efforts r appreciated....

On 8/15/2022 at 2:35 PM, VKurtB said:

I’m retired. My usual is the zero hour work day. Yesterday was the 12 hour driving day (with traffic jams, and stops for fuel, food, and umm, personal needs stops.) Included was an hour navigating beeeyoutiful downtown Gary, Indiana because of an I-90 accident. Stopped for a hot dog, iced tea, and fuel fill yesterday near Fort Knox. It smelled like a mix of bluegrass banjos and goldbug tears. Rained like crazy on the Indianapolis beltway. 

Thank you! Felt like i was there! Was it a local dog? I hear they vary by region.

I noticed a whiff of the Swiss alps in the tri-state area this morning. Very strange, indeed.

On 8/15/2022 at 1:43 PM, zadok said:

...volunteers never retire, they r the mules or camels if u prefer of the hobby...without which the hobby would collapse...ur efforts r appreciated....

I could not do this as a steady diet. My health wouldn’t permit it. But I can build up strength for this kind of abuse, do it, and recover from it. I worry about the health of my 195,000 mile Ford Taurus more than mine. In January, I expect to be driving my new Mexican-built Benz small SUV. 

On 8/15/2022 at 1:48 PM, CoinJockey73 said:

Thank you! Felt like i was there! Was it a local dog? I hear they vary by region.

I noticed a whiff of the Swiss alps in the tri-state area this morning. Very strange, indeed.

I think it was local. It was a sizable snausage. Certainly different from Pennsylvanian or Alabaman. It was a Speedway gas station with 7/11 brand hot dog holders. What kind of mint error is that?

The United States Mint / Treasury Dept. is BACK at the ANA show!!!!! I just did the photo badge for the Director of the Mint. This came together so late that the Mint doesn’t even show on the map in the Show Guide. 

On 8/15/2022 at 5:04 PM, VKurtB said:

The United States Mint / Treasury Dept. is BACK at the ANA show!!!!! I just did the photo badge for the Director of the Mint. This came together so late that the Mint doesn’t even show on the map in the Show Guide. 

Did I read this correctly? 

The US mint, who sells a a large percentage of their collectable items to coin collectors, can't even bother to make arrangements for a table at arguable the premier collector show, until the last minute?  What a slap in the face to coin collectors.

Kurt, let me know if I misunderstood your message.  

On 8/15/2022 at 4:36 PM, Oldhoopster said:

Did I read this correctly? 

The US mint, who sells a a large percentage of their collectable items to coin collectors, can't even bother to make arrangements for a table at arguable the premier collector show, until the last minute?  What a slap in the face to coin collectors.

Kurt, let me know if I misunderstood your message.  

They had stopped doing shows since COVID hit. We knew that they’d be back eventually. But as of two weeks ago, nobody knew they were coming. Everyone in mint management was doing paralysis by analysis. It was this new Director who pulled the trigger. Everyone knew where they’d be put if they came. The spot was going to be another rest area, if not. 

Hope to see some photos from the show since I am missing out on this one. I have set my sights for the 2023 show in Pittsburgh, however. I know a great sandwich shop there to boot. 

On 8/16/2022 at 6:37 AM, Zebo said:

Hope to see some photos from the show since I am missing out on this one. I have set my sights for the 2023 show in Pittsburgh, however. I know a great sandwich shop there to boot. 

Pittsburgh is a great town, and even the Amtrak station is a short walk from the expo center. The Amtrak station is a you-know-what hole, but conveniently located. 

C'mon Kurt, more photos already!  Alright?

Twanging cicadas today:  7:15 pm — 7:21 pm; all other times in the evenings… just cicadas.

Sunset:  7:54 pm.  Current:  76ºF, 60% RH, clear; SE 4 mph.

Anyone ry to sell you a used Rolex? Time to start … these buggers.

A dealer attending the ANA's World's Fair of Money in Chicago, IL was the victim of a theft.

The following is a list of stolen property:

Rolex 68NM8988 Card Submariner 40mm s/s MAYYY
Rolex 50548806 Explorer III 42mm s/s OYYY
Rolex Cier Air King 34mm SS Y154239
Rolex Daytona 588u0014 40mm 18kt YG KYYYY
Rolex GMT 40mm S/S TIYY E267488
Rolex Subcard 15A71239 MATYY
Rolex Black Daytona 40mm s/s AYYY MD88041
Rolex 943YY485 Yachtmaster 31mm 18kt YG/ss IYYY
Rolex DJ 18K YG L225047
Rolex 405n559 Datejust 41mm ST/WG OIYY
Rolex 74z55203 Daytona 40mm Platinum MYYYYY
Rolex 8579069 Day Date 18K yg MMYYY
Rolex 1043462 Explorer II Explorer II 40mm s/s NSYY
Rolex Datejust IOIY T390114
Rolex A560809 Day Date 36mm 18KT/YG MIOIY
Rolex Day date 18k yg 6410355
Rolex K329143 PAP Submariner 40mm S/S TSIY
Rolex Day date 18k yg 6
Rolex Explorer II 40mm s/s TAIY F699052
Rolex K358799 Explorer II 40mms/s TIYY
Rolex U468886 Yachtmaster 26mm 18k w/g KYYY
Rolex t760740 Datejust 36mm s/s CIYY
Rolex K132037 Paper GMT Master ii 40mm s/s MMYYY
Rolex E619102 Submariner 40mm S/S TOYY
1914D $10 Gold Indian ICG MS65
1883CC GSA Holder
1884CC GSA Holder
1856S NGC AU55 $3 gold
2- $20 Saints PCGS MS63
1850 1$ Gold
1820 Large Cent raw
1865 Five cent raw
1798 1$ pcgs XF Knob 9
1865 2 cent piece
1843-O 50 cent AU raw
2- 1909 D 5$ Indians NGC MS63

THE best exhibit in U.S. Coins is/was a GORGEOUS display of top end PCGS 2-cent pieces, including all the relevant major varieties. Most are/were fully red, with gaudy grades. All the history and decor you’d ever need, too. The only place they lost points was rarity. The ARE condition rarities, but not so much rare per se. That rarity scoring guidance is changing this coming year. 

On 8/17/2022 at 3:51 PM, RWB said:

Why was this guy at ANA if almost all he had were knock-off watches and pocket change?

:)

They were real Rolexes. I really hope he’s insured. The theory going around is the thief spent the night in the bourse hall under a tablecloth, gathered up the loot overnight and walked out the next morning. Why expect watches at a coin convention?? Time to bring back the security doggies. They’ll smell out overnight lurkers. 

Edited by VKurtB

Pix tomorrow. I have been spending all my time at Dealer Reg. and the Society of Bearded Numismatists. I get some “me time” mañana. 

To Fogo da Chão for dinner with my old buddy, the Mac Daddy of Matte Proof Lincolns (until he sold them all at a TIDY profit), and a “butt pain” to Red Rose Coin Club leaders. Carl likes to stir the pot. You think I’m tough and opinionated? Carl is 50x as bad. It’s why we get along. 

On 8/17/2022 at 7:04 PM, tigerbait said:

Dang.  Looks like you are highly credentialed.  Congratulations on the awards.

Soon I will add “Donor”.

Both Heritage and Stack’s Bowers have their lot viewing rooms a couple of blocks south at the Lowe’s Hotel. Great Collections is the official auctioneer this year. There also is a CNG auction featuring more of Ken Bressett’s stuff.