• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

VKurtB’s ANA Rosemont Show Thread

78 posts in this topic

Andy from Angel Dee’s is at the same dinner I am. I’m gonna ask about a 39-S/Rev ‘40 for Lem. He’s about 90% PCGS. 

Edited by VKurtB

The US Mint management staff is at the hotel bar mixing with us, the unwashed masses. They are taking comments. Signs of hope. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 8/17/2022 at 9:46 PM, CoinJockey73 said:

I don't care what anybody says about you, you're a good sport, and alright in my book. I'm sure you're thrilled lol.

The hobby needs a wide variety of types. I’m jus’ a different one. @RWB, your books are on the shelf for sale at the non-Whitman supplies seller. Whitman is the “official” supplies seller, but not “exclusive”. It means Whitman gets a more visible location. Both places are selling MegaRed 8. Wonder if there’s a price diff. 

Edited by VKurtB

Michael Shutterly, Esq. won my door prize contribution for the SOB(N) meeting, the bottle of 1792 Small Batch bourbon. It will NOT be the last thing he wins here. Awesome exhibitor. 

Well, I’ve officially become a drinking lightweight. One glass of Argentine red wine at dinner, and ONE gin and tonic (Bombay Sapphire) and my butt was kicked. Falklands War drinking. Brits vs. Argentines. 

On 8/13/2022 at 12:46 PM, RWB said:

There is a large overhead sign on I-65 near the bridge. It usually says "Accident Ahead." If it's blank, it might be caused by a power outage. (Jeffersonville was once a large trading town. It is now more of a blink-you-missed-it place --- kinda like personal freedom for women in some backward places.

Blinked. Missed it. 

Kurt - how was the show overall? 

plus another sad affair:

Currency who was attending the recent ANA World’s Fair of Paper Money in

Rosemont, IL.

Stolen Notes:

1- $500 1934 FRN D00031012A

2- $500 1934/1934A S/N not available but both have missing pieces along edges

On 8/18/2022 at 11:09 AM, RWB said:

Where's the "Modest" ribbon ?

It’s hidden under yours, Roger. 

...vkurt, u mentioned earlier that the ANA rarity guidelines were going to change for display competition, less important? do u care to expound on the changes?...any other significant changes?...has the ANA selected or released the venues for future world of money beyond the rosemont 2024?....

Rarity has been reduced from a 10 point criterion to a 5 point criterion. The rarest piece is used for scoring. 
5 points for unique to 10 known.

4 points for 11-100 known.

3 points for 101-1000 known.

2 points for 1000-10000 known. 

1 point for 10001 and more known.

So effectively, you are at a 4 point deficit to extremely rare material, not 9 as it has been. Previously the ancient coin R scale system was used. 

On 8/12/2022 at 8:24 PM, Zebo said:

Lucky it’s not winter, the Lafayette area can be a bear. I-65 isn’t bad. 

65 is in good shape. All the bad flooding was east of there

On 8/23/2022 at 7:13 PM, Hoghead515 said:

65 is in good shape. All the bad flooding was east of there

The right lane on much of I-65 was fairly rough, in all states. Indiana had the most miles under construction. Tennessee really needs serious work on I-65. 

On 8/23/2022 at 9:05 PM, VKurtB said:

The right lane on much of I-65 was fairly rough, in all states. Indiana had the most miles under construction. Tennessee really needs serious work on I-65. 

I agree. In bad need of some blacktop. All of our highways are getting rough. Alot of our state backroads are very rough. Alot of our county maintained roads look like goat paths.