• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

VKurtB’s ANA Rosemont Show Thread

78 posts in this topic

On 8/12/2022 at 6:29 PM, VKurtB said:

It’s mostly I-65 through Tennessee, Kentucky (if it hasn’t washed away), and Indiana.  Then I’ll try to navigate the Chicagoland area. Pray for me. Pray for Siri. 

Lucky it’s not winter, the Lafayette area can be a bear. I-65 isn’t bad. 

I’ve got a helluva full calendar for this show. Thursday is the maximum. It includes an Exhibiting meeting, a meeting of Committee Chairmen to which I have been invited by President Ross, the NGC grading contest, and receiving my Glenn B. Smedley Award from the ANA. Then I drive almost all night to get back to Alabama in time for a rehearsal dinner for a nephew’s wedding Friday evening. I figure on sleeping sitting up at the wedding on Saturday. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 8/12/2022 at 7:24 PM, Zebo said:

Lucky it’s not winter, the Lafayette area can be a bear. I-65 isn’t bad. 

Some day I want to catch a Penn State v. Purdue game. The hottest college football game ticket in Alabama is the Penn State v. Auburn game. Cheap seats are going for $225. 

Safe travels. I don’t miss the drive from Philly west along the turnpike towards the Midwest when I was in college.   It was scenic but long.  Still better than driving through western Kansas.  

I’ve driven over 6 million miles in my life.

Were you a truck or cab driver ?  Assuming you're in your 70's or earlier, that's close to or over 100,000 miles a year which is about 300 miles a day EVERY day or 400 miles for every working day.

Or maybe you were just too high with your estimate. xD

On 8/12/2022 at 8:43 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Were you a truck or cab driver ?  Assuming you're in your 70's or earlier, that's close to or over 100,000 miles a year which is about 300 miles a day EVERY day or 400 miles for every working day.

Or maybe you were just too high with your estimate. xD

I spent many years in my youth doing daily deliveries. I drove a huge route for photo labs. Then later I was a traveling salesman for x-ray film and products and my territory was Pennsylvania. Only a little over a million is in my personal vehicles. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 8/12/2022 at 10:29 PM, VKurtB said:

I spent many years in my youth doing daily deliveries. I drove a huge route for photo labs. Then later I was a traveling salesman for x-ray film and products and my territory was Pennsylvania. Only a little over a million is in my personal vehicles. 

...dont forget to add in those boudoir photo miles too....

On 8/13/2022 at 8:16 AM, zadok said:

...dont forget to add in those boudoir photo miles too....

Who could forget?

On 8/13/2022 at 10:14 AM, Oldhoopster said:

Kurt on his way to Chicago (sorry, couldn't resist) :devil: 

1878577675_R(3).thumb.jpeg.23e031f9dc9a1c58aabfd77bed58fa8e.jpeg

This is my tornado warning device. 

I will be leaving Sunday morning verrrrrry early for the ANA World’s Fair of Money. 

I’m going to travel highways I’ve never seen before. When you’re a Pennsylvanian, there aren’t that many ways to see north/south Interstates in the Midwest. I’ve driven over 6 million miles in my life. New places are appreciated. No more airlines for under 750 miles. The experience is just too unpleasant. My Taurus will provide its swansong lengthy trip. The new SUV arrives this fall or winter, depending on the chip situation. We ordered it loaded with all kindsa tech. 

It’s mostly I-65 through Tennessee, Kentucky (if it hasn’t washed away), and Indiana.  Then I’ll try to navigate the Chicagoland area. Pray for me. Pray for Siri. 

I report for work at 6:30AM on Monday morning, for Dealer Day registration. It’s an 11 hour day, y’all. 

Watch crossing the bridge from Louisville on I-65 into Jeffersonville as that is pretty damn crazy with traffic, especially trucks Calms down about 20 miles north of the river.

On 8/13/2022 at 12:16 PM, Simple Collector said:

Watch crossing the bridge from Louisville on I-65 into Jeffersonville as that is pretty damn crazy with traffic, especially trucks Calms down about 20 miles north of the river.

There is a large overhead sign on I-65 near the bridge. It usually says "Accident Ahead." If it's blank, it might be caused by a power outage. (Jeffersonville was once a large trading town. It is now more of a blink-you-missed-it place --- kinda like personal freedom for women in some backward places.

Edited by RWB

On 8/13/2022 at 11:04 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Miss Gulch was a miser who probably had a nice stash of gold.

I'd wager she had some 1933 DE's, too !xD

In Depression Era Kansas? Surely you must be high. 

If it’s dark when I get to northern Indiana, I might need to stop to do a random Cattle Mutilation, or an Alien Abduction, if I can find an alien to abduct. 

On 8/13/2022 at 2:28 PM, VKurtB said:

If it’s dark when I get to northern Indiana, I might need to stop to do a random Cattle Mutilation, or an Alien Abduction, if I can find an alien to abduct. 

...if u get to Devil's Tower u went too far left....

Note: Arab, Alabama has TWICE the population of Rosemont, Illinois. And there’s lots of undeveloped plateau land around Arab. If I can talk the powers that be to build Arab International Airport somewhere nearby, we could get an ANA show here. We already have essential airport ancillary services. There’s a strip joint just across the river. 

On 8/13/2022 at 2:33 PM, VKurtB said:

Note: Arab, Alabama has TWICE the population of Rosemont, Illinois. And there’s lots of undeveloped plateau land around Arab. If I can talk the powers that be to build Arab International Airport somewhere nearby, we could get an ANA show here. We already have essential airport ancillary services. There’s a strip joint just across the river. 

...put me in coach....

On 8/13/2022 at 1:29 PM, zadok said:

...im betting the missing bag of '28 DEs were involved in those yellow bricks in Oz....

Thin plating of gold, or a “wash” even. Maybe tungsten underneath so the specific gravity is close. Until someone shows up with a metal detector in my backyard, I’ll have nothing further to say about the missing 1928’s. 

On 8/13/2022 at 2:24 PM, VKurtB said:

In Depression Era Kansas? Surely you must be high. 

Woman was a teacher....nice pension...single....moonlighted as a witch part-time for another paycheck...pending lawsuit against Toto and Dorothy.

She was probably rolling in dough !! xD

Edited by GoldFinger1969

Suitcase packed. Joe Boling medal from last year packed. Bottle of 1792 bourbon for the Society of Bearded Numismatists doorprize packed. No suit needed because I can’t stay for the banquet. No ANA convention bar “train tracks” needed either. Last year’s badge holder packed because it has about 10 ribbons on it. Two new ones -Glenn Smedley winner and 20 years consecutive ANA member. 

Snap some pics along the way, of your travels, Mr. "I've Been Everywhere, Man!"

I too have been everywhere, but back when flying was where I'd wake up and wonder if it was Hong Kong, or Japan somewhere, maybe Singapore.

Hong Kong had the most mystery; so beautiful, everything about it.

Oh! It's that rare time of day right now when some sort of cicada, for just half an hour before dusk, has a Jew's Harp twang to its drone.

On 8/13/2022 at 6:37 PM, USAuPzlBxBob said:

Snap some pics along the way, of your travels, Mr. "I've Been Everywhere, Man!"

I too have been everywhere, but back when flying was where I'd wake up and wonder if it was Hong Kong, or Japan somewhere, maybe Singapore.

Hong Kong had the most mystery; so beautiful, everything about it.

Oh! It's that rare time of day right now when some sort of cicada, for just half an hour before dusk, has a Jew's Harp twang to its drone.

Sounds like the current ANA Outreach Co-ordinator, Stanley Chu. He’s frequently all over Asia, often 12 hours out of phase with everyone else on the Zoom call. 

As for me, I’ve literally SLEPT IN 49 of the 50 states, and all the non-polar Canadian provinces, like the Yukon and Nunavut. I have slept in PEI and Newfoundland. Only two Mexican states, and about 8 or so European countries. 

Edited by VKurtB