• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

LINCOLN

34 posts in this topic

Don't drink. Bad for the Parkinsons.  

I don't really want bs for a reply. If you're not interested in helping with questions and not having any more valuable feedback why do you participate?

I  can't believe that you are unwilling and unable to share your knowledge. Sometimes you need to find a way to enjoy.   

On 8/6/2022 at 11:31 PM, Kevine84 said:

I don't really want bs for a reply. If you're not interested in helping with questions and not having any more valuable feedback why do you participate?

I  can't believe that you are unwilling and unable to share your knowledge. Sometimes you need to find a way to enjoy.   

My knowledge says don’t get all worked up over stuff you think you see with a USB microscope looking through the pliofilm of a 1969 mint set. 

On 8/6/2022 at 10:43 PM, VKurtB said:

My knowledge says don’t get all worked up over stuff you think you see with a USB microscope looking through the pliofilm of a 1969 mint set. 

Well, I saw It first with my eye   

You are right that it was the microscope 

Removed from the mint packaging and it resolved to Nada

My rookie bad

Thanks again  

Yes Kevine the problem with mint sets and proofs is they can look damaged or a error inside the plastic. Most USB scopes have multiple LED lighting so they throw shadows. I suggest not opening mint sets or proofs to see if there is a problem they are not worth much to start with and much less after opened. 

On 8/6/2022 at 11:31 PM, Kevine84 said:

@Kevine84 these guys on here take time out there lives to help us and @VKurtB is very knowledgeable and has share a lot on these forms so of it to me. And if you'd post an actual question rather than a b.s. comment "Lincoln" you may gain some knowledge from him. Just saying!!

On 8/8/2022 at 2:07 AM, JAnsley said:

@Kevine84 these guys on here take time out there lives to help us and @VKurtB is very knowledgeable and has share a lot on these forms so of it to me. And if you'd post an actual question rather than a b.s. comment "Lincoln" you may gain some knowledge from him. Just saying!!

There is history here.  I have done that. But it seems that no matter what I get discouraging remarks and criticism. 

I would like to see  some encouraging words. I need the help but avoid it mostly because I know I will be called a dumb no matter how I present it 

On 8/9/2022 at 1:11 AM, Kevine84 said:

There is history here.  I have done that. But it seems that no matter what I get discouraging remarks and criticism. 

I would like to see  some encouraging words. I need the help but avoid it mostly because I know I will be called a dumb no matter how I present it 

Don't get discouraged Kevine you are doing fine. This hobby is a never ending always changing experience. There is a lot of numismatic information out there good and bad it can be frustrating, just hang in there. We all try to help whenever possible.  

I actually think there is a lot to be desired with a lot of responses I see in this forum group. Not saying on this post specifically, but time and time again I see sarcasm and negative responses regardless of the content of the post.  It sure does not help in promoting our hobby as I am sure there have been many newbies who have walked away because of responses given when they have a legitimate interest in learning by asking for help.

On 8/9/2022 at 10:39 AM, Simple Collector said:

I actually think there is a lot to be desired with a lot of responses I see in this forum group. Not saying on this post specifically, but time and time again I see sarcasm and negative responses regardless of the content of the post.  It sure does not help in promoting our hobby as I am sure there have been many newbies who have walked away because of responses given when they have a legitimate interest in learning by asking for help.

I 100% agree.  I wish we were a little more encouraging to people asking questions.  I am also new, and I am learning... I don't post any "found in change" coins, because I already know there is a 99.9999% chance that it just gets shredded by a few on the forum.  The value I would get would not be worth the discouraging comments.  Facts are that most collectors cannot afford $4 Stellas or other "whale" coins - most do this for fun, find coins in change, and buy what we can reasonably afford.

Ironically, those that routinely rip people up-and-down rarely (if ever) post coins themselves.  Maybe their collections are just so good that they fear sharing their coins...  Or maybe the collections are just "average" and the fear is based on losing a position of superiority.  We will never know, but what is known if that numismatics is a very "brag and bash" hobby for some.  Read through the threads and look-up collectors on the registry... this will largely separate the top collectors from the blow hards.  These forums have a healthy mix of both.  

Like all things in life... keep the good, and shed the bad.  

Edited by The Neophyte Numismatist

My complaint is not with giving a hosing to the abusive newbie who cops an attitude for no good reason, or asks a question and then whines when they don't like the answer. Give 'em both barrels in that case. My complaint is with the sarcastic troglodytes who think it makes them look cool and smart to give someone a hard time before they even do anything stoopid or hostile. It is the inability to put oneself in someone else's place, or worse yet, the refusal to bother to try. It's a very poor, petty, playground look. It's like if police stopped a car for simply driving, on the grounds that the driver was probably planning to speed at some point.

It's one thing to be blunt with the reality of a coin. If it's a parking lot coin, there is zero wrong with just saying "You're incorrect. It's not an error. It's damage. It's worth one penny." That's not sarcasm; that's an honest answer, and no nube should potty themselves because they got an honest answer that did not smooch their patoot. It's quite another to decide: I am over stoopid questions that keep coming every day. I have a great method to cope with this. I will become a phallus. Likewise, it's not unkind to ask someone to use punctuation and para breaks in a twenty-line paragraph full of misspellings. It's helpful; they'd get more replies. It is not unkind to correct their terminology; that's education. If they then get all behindhurt, that's their problem.

If you (general you)'re over stupid questions, great. Don't answer them at all. You aren't obligated to. Don't volunteer your time to people for whom you feel contempt. Let someone else do it this time. It's so simple. But let them deserve it before going full phallus. Same for if someone's collecting does not square up with what you happen to consider 'the hobby.' Your hobby might not be theirs. It probably isn't mine. If someone wants to collect parking lot coins, well, it doesn't have to make sense to me. Not my collection. Same for parking tokens and elongates, interest in which baffles me completely. Doesn't matter. It's not my money.

I hate bullies, and they aren't going to hear the end of it from me.

On 8/9/2022 at 1:07 PM, JKK said:

My complaint is not with giving a hosing to the abusive newbie who cops an attitude for no good reason, or asks a question and then whines when they don't like the answer. Give 'em both barrels in that case. My complaint is with the sarcastic troglodytes who think it makes them look cool and smart to give someone a hard time before they even do anything stoopid or hostile. It is the inability to put oneself in someone else's place, or worse yet, the refusal to bother to try. It's a very poor, petty, playground look. It's like if police stopped a car for simply driving, on the grounds that the driver was probably planning to speed at some point.

It's one thing to be blunt with the reality of a coin. If it's a parking lot coin, there is zero wrong with just saying "You're incorrect. It's not an error. It's damage. It's worth one penny." That's not sarcasm; that's an honest answer, and no nube should potty themselves because they got an honest answer that did not smooch their patoot. It's quite another to decide: I am over stoopid questions that keep coming every day. I have a great method to cope with this. I will become a phallus. Likewise, it's not unkind to ask someone to use punctuation and para breaks in a twenty-line paragraph full of misspellings. It's helpful; they'd get more replies. It is not unkind to correct their terminology; that's education. If they then get all behindhurt, that's their problem.

If you (general you)'re over stupid questions, great. Don't answer them at all. You aren't obligated to. Don't volunteer your time to people for whom you feel contempt. Let someone else do it this time. It's so simple. But let them deserve it before going full phallus. Same for if someone's collecting does not square up with what you happen to consider 'the hobby.' Your hobby might not be theirs. It probably isn't mine. If someone wants to collect parking lot coins, well, it doesn't have to make sense to me. Not my collection. Same for parking tokens and elongates, interest in which baffles me completely. Doesn't matter. It's not my money.

I was going make a similar post, but you did a much better job.  I also try to help new collectors and I hope that I don't jump on them unless its for the reasons you listed above.  

I think some new collectors don't understand that these boards are filled with experts and collectors with decades of experience and knowledge of the minting process.  The answers aren't coming from a guy sitting at the end of the bar, they are coming from knowledgeable numismatists, many of which do want to help them learn and grow in the hobby.

I've also noticed that when a newbie gets jumped on for no good reason, somebody will usually follow up with a friendly, helpful post

And don't forget, it's an anonymous chat board.  You get all kinds on here

Edited by Oldhoopster

On 8/9/2022 at 12:07 PM, JKK said:

I grew up in a RIDICULOUSLY VIOLENT Pennsylvania city and neighborhood. Bullies are a part of life. They always have been and they always will be. You grow a tough hide (and scars too) or you die. That is the way I grew up. My childhood home was literally firebombed during a riot in the late 1960’s. Thank God we had a great fire department and police who took no guff. In 2020, we would have lost everything. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 8/9/2022 at 4:31 PM, VKurtB said:

I grew up in a RIDICULOUSLY VIOLENT Pennsylvania city and neighborhood. Bullies are a part of life. They always have been and they always will be. You grow a tough hide (and scars too) or you die. That is the way I grew up. My childhood home was literally firebombed during a riot in the late 1960’s. Thank God we had a great fire department and police who took no guff. In 2020, we would have lost everything. 

:facepalm: I had a response to this typed out, but I am not going to stoop.  Just know that whatever your upbringing doesn't excuse your behavior.  The only thing worse than a bully is a cyber bully.:facepalm:

On 8/9/2022 at 1:31 PM, VKurtB said:

Then it would seem you could empathize with bullying victims more strongly than could most people. Bullies might indeed be a part of life, but that doesn't mean that we should let them bully with impunity. Cancer too is a part of life, but we don't just say that's okay either; we battle it when we can, as you know quite well. I think different people draw different lessons from the experience of being bullied, and that some choose one direction and some another.

On 8/9/2022 at 5:35 PM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

:facepalm: I had a response to this typed out, but I am not going to stoop.  Just know that whatever your upbringing doesn't excuse your behavior.  The only thing worse than a bully is a cyber bully.:facepalm:

I am very sorry for the circumstances in which you grew up.

I don't understand how that applies to a hobby or innocent people asking questions about a hobby. 

This particular OP on this thread is a serial offender with mass stupidity going back almost three years. His rookie stripes expired long ago. He is the “poster child” for refusing to learn. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 8/9/2022 at 12:11 AM, Kevine84 said:

some encouraging words

… and the skies are not cloudy all day,

Home, home, on the range,

Where the deer and the antelope play…

Look, here’s the thing: some posts aren’t entitled to encouraging words, like your 1936 Canadian dot cent thread and this one with the 1969 cent. There HAS TO BE a requirement for having engaged in some introspection first before encouraging words are called for. I’m not Barney the Dinosaur after all.

I swear I’ve seen Boy Scout and Girl Scout programs (11-13 year olds) at shows, conducted with higher expectations of its participants’ knowledge than internet discussion boards hosted by a TPGS. It gets a little frustrating is all. 

But then, do Scouts even have the option to earn merit badges solely over the net? I really don’t think so. There are troops that conduct in-person meetings. 

Edited by VKurtB

I mean the guy just starts a topic with the title "LINCOLN" with no questions or observations and some pictures of run of the mill common  proofs. What did he think was going to happen.

Edited by EagleRJO

On 8/9/2022 at 4:55 PM, VKurtB said:

This particular OP on this thread is a serial offender with mass stupidity going back almost three years. His rookie stripes expired long ago. He is the “poster child” for refusing to learn. 

I try my best and I need help sometimes. 15 years ago I was exposed to Paraquat. I developed early onset Parkinson and my eyes are worse lately.  

I try to make fun of the situation and I am concerned about how much I ask for help. 

In my prior life I created a ERP solution for the Upstream Oil and Gaa Industry generating $300m and providing 200 plus high paying jobs for 30 years. 

I know the difference between us and I know respect. 

Wht do you bother with my posts?  If you really think you are helping here I recommend you continue and share with others who you may prefer to help  

I still don't know what to say to this sta but maybe you should reconsider your impressions of my character. 

Thanks for the support and courage to the ones who are seeing the same thing I did   

I feel that there is hope and potential here that has been brutality smacked full in the face  

Thanks 

On 8/9/2022 at 7:15 PM, Kevine84 said:

I try my best and I need help sometimes. 15 years ago I was exposed to Paraquat. I developed early onset Parkinson and my eyes are worse lately.  

I try to make fun of the situation and I am concerned about how much I ask for help. 

In my prior life I created a ERP solution for the Upstream Oil and Gaa Industry generating $300m and providing 200 plus high paying jobs for 30 years. 

I know the difference between us and I know respect. 

Wht do you bother with my posts?  If you really think you are helping here I recommend you continue and share with others who you may prefer to help  

I still don't know what to say to this sta but maybe you should reconsider your impressions of my character. 

Thanks for the support and courage to the ones who are seeing the same thing I did   

I feel that there is hope and potential here that has been brutality smacked full in the face  

Thanks 

I’ve heard of paraquat but I have no recollection of what it is or what it does to people. It doesn’t sound good though. I’m sorry to hear you’re having issues from it. Does it restrict your ability to get out and about? I was restricted for a few months and almost went stir crazy. My favorite thing about numismatics is TRAVELING and seeing old acquaintances in the hobby. If I were travel restricted, I doubt I’d be able to enjoy coins at all, like even a little bit. My fondest wish is to die at a major coin show and be carried out in a body bag. 

Edited by VKurtB

I just did a search on paraquat and all I see is stuff for class action lawsuits. I hope you got compensated. 

On 8/9/2022 at 7:33 PM, VKurtB said:

I’ve heard of paraquat but I have no recollection of what it is or what it does to people. It doesn’t sound good though. I’m sorry to hear you’re having issues from it. Does it restrict your ability to get out and about? I was restricted for a few months and almost went stir crazy. My favorite thing about numismatics is TRAVELING and seeing old acquaintances in the hobby. If I were travel restricted, I doubt I’d be able to enjoy coins at all, like even a little bit. My fondest wish is to die at a major coin show and be carried out in a body bag. 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://emergency.cdc.gov/agent/paraquat/basics/facts.asp&ved=2ahUKEwiSoLveibv5AhVKkmoFHSrZDwYQFnoECFUQAQ&usg=AOvVaw04_LiNUXa7SgO3JT0Vq0qY

That's not possible   

I have no idea how any amount of money would make me better or return my life 

I had passion, motivation and drive

I used to fence, ride 100 mile bike races, climb mountains...

I designed systems and solutions with the best and the brightest.  I was employed by a company built from the ground up and I answered all of the questions.  From newbie to Corner suites.   And it was mine. 

Never once did I use the word stupid and never once did I not try to help. 

I was self-made and fully engaged at the board level with customers beyond compare.   Money is a tool. It is not a goal above what matters 

At 3am it cannot make you feel like you are not a loser. It is just money. 

I wish my hand could caress my wife or pet my dog. That, not the gain or loss of money is my loss. 

Now I can't tell a joke without screweing up the punch line 

I didn't give that Intel on me for sympathy as I am a believer that the glass is overflowing, rather I violated my own privacy so people can see through the noise and go back to the root of the problem. 

It's a newbie board. It should be a good place to go and ask for help regardless of how much you do wrong. I have never been rude or belligerent. Yet I am serially stupid...  I think that may just be the case now. But even if it is why should that be good enough reason to draw such derision. 

It's the shallow end of the pool. Either give us space to learn and a place to go or watch your hobby die from the poison being spread 

I have said enough. I hope a change of perspective can be accomplished 

On 8/9/2022 at 9:47 PM, Kevine84 said:

That's not possible   

I have no idea how any amount of money would make me better or return my life 

I had passion, motivation and drive

I used to fence, ride 100 mile bike races, climb mountains...

I designed systems and solutions with the best and the brightest.  I was employed by a company built from the ground up and I answered all of the questions.  From newbie to Corner suites.   And it was mine. 

Never once did I use the word stupid and never once did I not try to help. 

I was self-made and fully engaged at the board level with customers beyond compare.   Money is a tool. It is not a goal above what matters 

At 3am it cannot make you feel like you are not a loser. It is just money. 

I wish my hand could caress my wife or pet my dog. That, not the gain or loss of money is my loss. 

Now I can't tell a joke without screweing up the punch line 

I didn't give that Intel on me for sympathy as I am a believer that the glass is overflowing, rather I violated my own privacy so people can see through the noise and go back to the root of the problem. 

It's a newbie board. It should be a good place to go and ask for help regardless of how much you do wrong. I have never been rude or belligerent. Yet I am serially stupid...  I think that may just be the case now. But even if it is why should that be good enough reason to draw such derision. 

It's the shallow end of the pool. Either give us space to learn and a place to go or watch your hobby die from the poison being spread 

I have said enough. I hope a change of perspective can be accomplished 

Sorry to hear of your situation Kevine. My best friend passed a year or so ago with Parkinson's and some other complications.  I hope you will continue to post your findings here to further your numismatic enjoyment of the hobby we all love.(thumbsu