• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1936 Dot Cent. Boom??!!

13 posts in this topic

On 8/6/2022 at 10:32 PM, Kevine84 said:

I sure think I see the dot...

20220806_211027.jpg

20220806_211013.jpg

You do, eh?

On 8/6/2022 at 11:05 PM, Kevine84 said:

I didn't say anything about impossible...

Would you like ME to do it? ‘Cuz I will. 3 known to exist, all through the hands of Jay Pittman, but you believe you might have the 4th one, after it has evaded EVERY OTHER person’s detection for 86 years. What color is the sky on your planet? In other words, what does it take to develop a thought process like yours?

On 8/6/2022 at 10:12 PM, VKurtB said:

Would you like ME to do it? ‘Cuz I will. 3 known to exist, all through the hands of Jay Pittman, but you believe you might have the 4th one, after it has evaded EVERY OTHER person’s detection for 86 years. What color is the sky on your planet? In other words, what does it take to develop a thought process like yours?

Why not?

The contention you make is an inferior argument. Just because nobody has found it under imperfect circumstances does not mean that they were not looking. If they were looking it implies a lot of people were thinking there might be more. 

As a question to you I would ask if you have ever looked?

You can provide a heck of a lot of details 

On 8/6/2022 at 11:24 PM, Kevine84 said:

Why not?

The contention you make is an inferior argument. Just because nobody has found it under imperfect circumstances does not mean that they were not looking. If they were looking it implies a lot of people were thinking there might be more. 

As a question to you I would ask if you have ever looked?

You can provide a heck of a lot of details 

Nobody who understands the way this hobby works is looking. But that leaves a lot of other people. Are you other people?

On 8/6/2022 at 10:27 PM, VKurtB said:

Nobody who understands the way this hobby works is looking. But that leaves a lot of other people. Are you other people?

Must be. But every other person you mentioned  - now they are off the everyone list. You are confusing you  

On 8/6/2022 at 11:36 PM, Kevine84 said:

Must be. But every other person you mentioned  - now they are off the everyone list. You are confusing you  

People who understand this hobby don’t check damaged Canadian cents for a variety of which three are known and the provenance of all three is known. They don’t check their pocket change for 1913 Liberty Head nickels either. But you do you, by all means. 

On 8/6/2022 at 10:40 PM, VKurtB said:

People who understand this hobby don’t check damaged Canadian cents for a variety of which three are known and the provenance of all three is known. They don’t check their pocket change for 1913 Liberty Head nickels either. But you do you, by all means. 

I certainly will. I'll also shout out to everyone who reads this and ask - was it stupid questions or stupid answers you read here?

Nice try but you would have better luck with winning the lotto than finding one of these.  All known examples are Specimen strikes, strongly indicating they were not released for circulation.  

Did you compare your coin to known examples.  If you did you would see that the stray mark on your coin is too close to the date.  Its also the wrong size and shape.  If you still think you have something, you'll need to send it in for authentication as I believe your opinion will be met with the same skepticism by dealers and Canadian coin experts.

image.png.e67eae53113cc68d140ea640f2af722d.png

lf.jpeg.873af86ad33368d1224728882c79f342.jpeg

They are distinguished from the millions of other 1936 pennies minted in the final year of King George V's reign by the miniscule dot placed below the date on the “tails” side of the coin.Apr 19, 2013

David Vagi says:

5BCE01E1-F539-4A99-9212-BCD856A98DD0.jpeg

I see a raised dot in approximately the correct location, but the coin has a number of other raised dots and lumps beneath the date from corrosion or foreign matter.  I understand that the three known specimens all came from cased sets obtained from the Royal Canadian Mint.  If Kevine84 believes he has discovered a circulated specimen, he should submit it to NGC or PCGS.  He should discuss it with them first, as the grading fee for a genuine piece would be quite high. If it is authenticated, it would be big news!