• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Free NGC Grading Contest to be held at the ANA World's Fair of Money!
1 1

16 posts in this topic

• Administrator

Numismatic Guaranty Company™ (NGC®) is excited to announce that it will hold a free coin grading contest at the 2022 ANA World’s Fair of Money (WMF) in Chicago, Illinois, taking place August 16-20.

The NGC Coin Grading Contest will be open to anyone age 13 and older. Each participant will be given 10 minutes to grade 15 coins at the NGC booth (#1502) without any outside assistance. The coins will be a mix of countries, types and grades, and may include Details-graded and not genuine coins. Contestants will enter their grades on a computer provided by NGC.

image.jpegimage.jpeg

Participants will be divided into three categories: Adult (age 26 and older), Young Adult [YAN] (age 18-25) and Young Numismatist [YN] (age 13-17). The contestants will be scored based on how closely their grades are to NGC’s grades, and prizes will be given for first, second and third place in each category.

For both the Adult and Young Adult categories, first prize is a $300 NGC grading credit, second prize is a $200 NGC grading credit and third prize is a $100 NGC grading credit. The Young Numismatist category prizes are cash in the amount of $300 for first place, $200 for second place and $100 for third place.

The top 10 finishers in each of the three categories will receive a special NGC “Sample Slab” with a 2003-S Proof Silver Illinois Quarter.

All participants will receive a special free “Sample Slab” with a special pedigree only available to participants in the contest.

To request a reservation for a time slot in the contest, which is being held from August 17th-19th, please email your name, age (as of the WMF Show) and day(s) you will be at the WMF Show to: contest@ngccoin.com with a subject line of “WMF Grading Contest.” You must be willing to have your name published by NGC if you win.

On 8/7/2022 at 8:39 PM, S Navaneethan Ramanujam said:

Conduct such contest in India as well.

How is third party coin grading doing in India? Is it popular yet?

Well, I AM registered for the grading contest. I will be leaving the show late Thursday, so I will not know how I did until I get home. 

One day Ill be able to take off of work to go to a major show, but not right now!  Good luck everyone!

Now, how about a remote grading contest using NGC photovision images???

Edited by erwindoc

On 8/12/2022 at 3:32 PM, erwindoc said:

Now, how about a remote grading contest using NGC photovision images???

Grading cannot be done by photographs no matter how good they are - that is just the truth. 

On 8/13/2022 at 8:26 PM, VKurtB said:

Grading cannot be done by photographs no matter how good they are - that is just the truth. 

While I agree with you, I can say for certain that I have gotten much better on the random GTG threads posted ATS.  I am sure other members could grade very accurately from images.

On 8/14/2022 at 8:12 AM, erwindoc said:

While I agree with you, I can say for certain that I have gotten much better on the random GTG threads posted ATS.  I am sure other members could grade very accurately from images.

Have you never come across a thread requesting a look at the edge? I buy, or did buy, sight-unseen. One prominent member attributed my recklessness to simple ignorance. But they were slabbed! Doesn't matter. I later concluded there was method to his madness. Then, an epiphany! It suddenly occurred to me that my set was complete, but wasn't the best because anyone can outgrade me with a few upgrades should they materialize. I am a Noo Yawker; if the ultimate is unavailable, the best will have to do for now.

On 8/14/2022 at 9:39 AM, Quintus Arrius said:

Have you never come across a thread requesting a look at the edge? I buy, or did buy, sight-unseen. One prominent member attributed my recklessness to simple ignorance. But they were slabbed! Doesn't matter. I later concluded there was method to his madness. Then, an epiphany! It suddenly occurred to me that my set was complete, but wasn't the best because anyone can outgrade me with a few upgrades should they materialize. I am a Noo Yawker; if the ultimate is unavailable, the best will have to do for now.

The “right” coin vs. the “right now” coin? Hmm. 

On 8/13/2022 at 8:26 PM, VKurtB said:

As Gene Hackman said to Will "slap heard 'round the world" Smith, in Enemy of the State: "Either you are incredibly smart or incredibly stupid." With all due respect--forget photographs--I bought based on grade alone, e.g. 1909 NGC MS66. Do you suppose you can write me off as "incredibly lucky"?

On 8/27/2022 at 8:35 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

As Gene Hackman said to Will "slap heard 'round the world" Smith, in Enemy of the State: "Either you are incredibly smart or incredibly stupid." With all due respect--forget photographs--I bought based on grade alone, e.g. 1909 NGC MS66. Do you suppose you can write me off as "incredibly lucky"?

As long as what you care about is the ink on the label, you’re going to be fine. The moment you first see a MS65 example that is a nicer coin than your MS66, and you care about that, then the “fun” begins. 

On 10/13/2022 at 1:27 PM, ThomasPoole said:

I wanna buy some collectible coins on Amazon using gift cards.

All of 13 minutes on this Forum and you want to buy?

First, Welcome to the Forum!

I have dredged up a quote from a member that ought to be applicable to you:  "Read more, submit less, and question everything."

No, nothing about buying. But I do hope you know what you're doing. [Check to see if a gift card is an acceptable format of payment; my private eBay seller stated he accepted "wampum," but I have no idea whether he was kidding or not.  We worked something out. All the best!  🐓