• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What can you tell me about this?
1 1

26 posts in this topic

@ Sandon:  Very helpful and considerate of you to post your fine example! This gives the OP and viewers like me a good idea of what a  copper cent is supposed to look like at its best!   (thumbsu

On 8/3/2022 at 9:06 PM, Sandon said:

Here's what an 1847 large cent like yours looked like before it became worn, corroded and damaged. (Large cents were minted from 1793 to 1857, with the "Coronet" or "Braided Hair" type minted from 1839 to 1857.) This one has no wear, although the bright color has been restored with chemicals.  If coins could speak, though, I'm sure that yours would have more interesting stories!

1847 cent obv..jpg

1847 cent rev..jpg

No wear, and exposure to color-enhancing chemicals. Is it not worth encapsulating?  Or is there a reason why you do not wish to, or have tried but were declined?

If I recall correctly that is the raw coin before being submitted, and it came back Details graded due to an altered color. I think it's in one of Sandon's sets which was why he submitted it.

Btw, I have quite a number of raw coins with no wear,  including some less common ones from the 1800's, and they will never be put in a slab coffin. 😉

Edited by EagleRJO

On 10/2/2022 at 9:50 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

No wear, and exposure to color-enhancing chemicals. Is it not worth encapsulating?  Or is there a reason why you do not wish to, or have tried but were declined?

Among the Early American Coppers Collectors, the entire IDEA of slabbing coins is controversial. The preferred method of storage among the copper purists is a pure cotton pouch which is, in turn, placed in a 2x2 paper envelope. No kidding! There is, of course, also a slabbing fan constituency. 

On 10/3/2022 at 11:59 AM, Sandon said:

I'm not sure why this old thread was revived

It looks like QA may be a bit bored, to the point of posting hypothetical purchases of counterfeit coins being sold by Chinese coin dealers. 😜 

On 10/3/2022 at 4:30 PM, EagleRJO said:

It looks like QA may be a bit bored, to the point of posting hypothetical purchases of counterfeit coins being sold by Chinese coin dealers. 😜 

Looks like your "hook" served its intended purpose.  In all fairness, the OP requested an opinion on his coin, and got one. Two actually.  As regarding your artificially enhanced coin, I cannot for the life of me understand why anyone would try to enhance a "coin with no wear's" appearance.  I take it nothing can be done to reverse that "damage."  Maybe we should dub it a "contemporary counterfeit" and assess its FMV at $2,000. I may be out of my league here but I like that coin. If the old stand-bys, acetone and vinegar baths are out of the question, how about a spritz of WD-40?  I fail to understand why psychedelic toning is okay but artificial coloring is not.

@Sandon:

As long as you've posted the 1850, for comparison purposes, interested members should try to Guess the Grade. Unless this series is graded differently, I am going to stick my neck out and award it a very respectable MS-67 though I see no evidence of any flaws warranting demerits.

On 10/7/2022 at 12:01 AM, coinsandmedals said:

Controversial is a polite way of putting it. Although I no longer pursue EAC, I still store most of my copper pieces in these little cotton pouches. I took a picture with my phone to illustrate this point for anyone who is curious.

1322169571_IMG_0782-Copy.thumb.jpg.51169492854e169f1adc94f5443ae422.jpg

You may be the first person on the board to describe the way I put something as “polite”. But that’s okay; my brutal frankness is my preferred style. I’m one of the parents who wanted Barney the Dinosaur to go extinct. 

Those cotton pouches can OFTEN be sourced through Wizard Coin Supplies, but like many products these days, stock can be spotty. 

Edited by VKurtB

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

We used to call them -pillows, but I believe that term has fallen out of favor...

On 10/7/2022 at 1:25 PM, DWLange said:

We used to call them -pillows, but I believe that term has fallen out of favor...

Maybe a member here insisted the name was incorrect and he was speaking ex cathedra at the time?

”Ring dem chimes!”

Edited by VKurtB

@coinsandmedals:

I was new at the time I became a member but I always enjoyed reading your accounts and the obvious affection you had for your coins and the hobby.

Great hearing from you!

On 10/7/2022 at 8:46 AM, VKurtB said:

Those cotton pouches can OFTEN be sourced through Wizard Coin Supplies, but like many products these days, stock can be spotty. 

I noticed that the other day while looking for something completely unrelated. I will likely order another hundred or so when they are available. I wish they still offered the larger sizes as well. 

On 10/7/2022 at 9:51 PM, coinsandmedals said:

@Quintus Arrius That is very kind of you to say. I recently discovered one of your beloved roosters (1911) in a PCGS MS-67 holder, but it appears you already have an example in the same plastic. 

Having recently encountered a PCGS MS-64+, I can scarcely imagine the magnificence of a 67. 

On 10/7/2022 at 11:47 PM, VKurtB said:

Having recently encountered a PCGS MS-64+, I can scarcely imagine the magnificence of a 67. 

I can tell you what the difference is.  The 64+ I believe you described elsewhere as having exceptional luster differs from the higher-graded examples in one noticeable way: The 67's are subdued in a dignified sort of way with a good deal of "original mint luster" which is a smidgen more sedate.  I have always cautioned members, particularly those who may be new to the hobby, to try and acquire or gain access to the finest examples available if only to get a good sense of exactly what their coin is supposed to look like. With say, a 6FS Jefferson Nickel (yes, I will stick with the traditional spelling) you would never be able to appreciate a nickel without them. They appear as a blur.