• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Questions regarding coin submissions

9 posts in this topic

One of my first purchases in the numismatic hobby was a 1913 T1 Buffalo nickel. After ignoring it for some time and gaining some knowledge into the hobby it appears to me that the finish is "matte" which would make it a proof if I am correct. I would like to send it in for grading as I recently became a member of NGC but don't know if I need to add the additional $18 "variety plus" charge or if it will be examined and graded as such with just the standard rate fee. 

Welcome to the forum. If you can post a picture of the coin obverse and reverse I am sure you will get some good advice on grading.

Edited by J P Mashoke

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

If you believe your coin is a proof you may submit it a such. There is no variety charge to distinguish between T1 and T2 or between MS and PF.

Based on your photos, the coin doesn't appear to be a proof but an About Uncirculated to lower end Uncirculated type 1913 Buffalo nickel, which is very common and retails for $26-$50 per this month's Coin World values.  I see no characteristics of a matte proof (extremely strong strike, squared off edges, frosty matte textured finish). The coin was apparently sold as a circulation strike.  The mint produced 1,520 proofs versus nearly 31 million circulation strikes, so what are the odds it's a proof?  If possible, I suggest you take the coin to a larger coin show and show it to dealers who are familiar with matte proof Buffalo nickels before you spend more than the coin's likely retail value ($40 grading fee, plus $10 per order processing fee, plus shipping and insurance) for NGC's opinion.  You might also look at the photos of matte proofs on the NGC Coin Explorer and PCGS Coinfacts.

Why do you believe the coin may be a proof?

@Genty, there will never be a need to apologize for getting wrong the distinction between a Matte Proof Buffalo and an extraordinary circulation strike of the same year. It is very easy to do. A major auction operator mislabeled a really nice circulation strike as a Matte Proof several years ago and all heck broke loose. The best circulation strikes really do resemble Matte Proofs. It takes an analysis of specific die markers sometimes to tell the difference. 

I have several early Buffs in an Eagle brand storage box that resemble proofs, right down to the “right” toning to be proofs, but are not. I had the good fortune to be in the same club (Red Rose Coin Club of Lancaster, PA) with some of the country’s preeminent experts on 1¢ and 5¢ Matte Proofs. Doug Whenrey and Carl Waltz are just two. Doug built his collection with The Penny Lady’s help, and Carl worked with Angel Dee’s. These gentlemen are no pikers. Both have won top exhibiting awards.

The main difference that remains between a nice early circulation strike and a proof are the rims. On the proof, the INSIDE of the rim (the part toward the inside of the coin) dives almost vertically square into the coin’s fields before sloping into the field, while on the circulation strike the same slope, while it can be sharp, it NOT nearly vertical. Both can have incredibly square rims on the outside edges. 

Regarding photos, I quite literally grew up in the photo business, and I am aware of the shortcomings of photos when it comes to diagnosing coins. That gets far worse when shooting through a cardboard and Mylar 2x2. 

Edited by VKurtB

The photos reflecting the sunlight do not do this coin justice.

In hand the lack of luster with what I thought looked more like a frosty, sandblasted finish is what had me looking at this coin differently. But after viewing proof nickels in NGC Explorer, I would have to agree that the strike is not as sharp.

Thanks for both of you for sharing your knowledge with this novice. So much to learn!!!

On 7/29/2022 at 10:11 AM, Genty said:

So much to learn!!!

Yup. Doing this for 59 years and STILL LEARNING.