• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

? About a foreign coin
1 1

7 posts in this topic

I’m going through some very old foreign money that belonged to my Father-in-law. 
I came across this one coin that I can not find any information on. Any ideas?

image.jpg

On 7/24/2022 at 1:15 PM, Mr.Bill347 said:

I found this: Moroccan about 1775 demonitized

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces49725.html

@Mr.Bill347Just curious how you found that, because I have some older world coins I need to eventually go through?  Did you recognize the type of coin in general and then looked it up?  Or did you do a visual google search and then drill down from there?

Edited by EagleRJO

On 7/25/2022 at 10:40 AM, EagleRJO said:

@Mr.Bill347Just curious how you found that, because I have some older world coins I need to eventually go through?  Did you recognize the type of coin in general and then looked it up?  Or did you do a visual google search and then drill down from there?

For many of us old guys, it just comes down to looking at a whole lot of coins over the decades.  You may have looked up something similar in the past, or remember seeing it in Krause or another reference. 

You would be surprised how many times I would be looking for something in Krause and stumble onto to something Else that I remembered was in my "to be identified" pile.  That's why I prefer books to internet searches.  You just miss out on a lot of things that can pay you back later.

I consider myself pretty good at identifing most stuff from about 1600 on except the early Pieces from pre colonial India.  But I was at a loss for the coin in the OP.  Well done @Mr.Bill347

So look at lots of different coins whenever possible.  It will help your identification skills, it will help you grading skills, and it will help your counterfeit detection skills.

This one, like the Numista link, was minted at Rabat. I can see "zarb fi rabat" on the reverse, though the -script style is a little odd.