• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1987 Pennies Varying Sized Portraits

4 posts in this topic

Looking through some old pennies and I noticed what appears to be a difference in sizes of the Lincoln portraits on 4 1987 pennies. 3 were minted in Denver and one in Philadelphia, with the Philly one seeming to have the most noticeable difference. I didn't notice anything different or off about the reverse sides. Is this common, just due to age/wear, or just my imagination? Any insight is appreciated!

20220723_133357.jpg

20220723_133419.jpg

Slight differences in centering. If you measure only the portraits you'll find the dimensions are identical.

The coin dies wear over time as they strike more and more coins, you might find a very slight variation due to the die deterioration.   In your photo the third coin from the left shows what is known as a ridge ring, most noticeable in the word trust.   That feature is from a worn out die, so right away it is obvious that these coins come from varying die wear stages, that and the differences in centering noted by RWB can trick you eyes into seeing a different size than is actually there.

On 7/23/2022 at 6:24 PM, Coinbuf said:

shows what is known as a ridge ring,

A "ridge ring" is silent.