• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

? About 1885 cc Silver dollar

26 posts in this topic

A little hard to judge due to the reflections -- possibly MS-64 or 65. I note only two significant marks at Liberty's nose. Here's a "MS-66" that appears to have more marks. This grade was selling for about $2,200 earlier this year.

Image1.thumb.jpg.fc8b0832a1b78cf7ca0720fb6e015c2d.jpg

On 7/23/2022 at 6:28 PM, Coinbuf said:

A very nice coin and one of the better "common" CC GSA coins, I would say MS64 shot MS65.   This is a coin that is worth sending in for NGC to grade, handy tip, send in the coin in the complete GSA holder.   Coins graded in the GSA holder often bring higher resale value over coins not in a holder.

NGC will put a "wrapper" around the GSA holder to show authenticity and grade. Collectors have an increasing interest in coins in the original holders, as Coinbuf mentioned.

I am seeing some dark or discolored areas at the cotton leaves and cap fold on the obverse and at the eagles left leg and left wing on the reverse.  These could be rub marks which would result in an AU grade, or they could be frosty areas that typically do not photograph well.  You can tell the difference by holding the coin in your hand and tilting the coin.

If they are rub marks, the question is then how did they get there.  Is the case completely sealed such that it can not be opened, or is it like a proof mint set case that can be opened by twisting the case somewhat to get a small screwdriver in the seam between the front and back halves of the case to open it.

On 12/14/2022 at 11:17 AM, J P M said:

It is a nice coin 65 or 66 looking to me. Almost all the GSA coins have some kind of marks or dirt on them, I think they were all bank bag coins mostly.

I do see some bag marks like by the nose and cheek as well as above the eagle, and a few other smaller darker areas which could also be bag marks.  I am really talking about like the eagle's left wing for example which is a larger dark or discolored area that wouldn't just be from a bag mark.

That could could be either a rub mark or a frosty area that does not photograph well, which has happened to me with several coins.  If a rub mark the question is then does the case open.

On 12/14/2022 at 11:17 AM, J P M said:

It is a nice coin 65 or 66 looking to me. Almost all the GSA coins have some kind of marks or dirt on them, I think they were all bank bag coins mostly.

I think virtually ALL Morgans were at one time bank bag coins.  Unless a great great relative got one direct from the Mint back in the late-1800's or early-1900's. xD

I think I read where the "average" or median grade of Morgan GSA's was 62 or 63.  But many did grade 65-66 with an occasional 67 I believe.

On 12/15/2022 at 2:00 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

I think virtually ALL Morgans were at one time bank bag coins.  Unless a great great relative got one direct from the Mint back in the late-1800's or early-1900's. xD

Actually, for Morgans quite a lot of them were circulated.

On 12/15/2022 at 12:58 PM, EagleRJO said:

Actually, for Morgans quite a lot of them were circulated.

I'll buy that....but still lots never saw anything but a bag. 

That was the recurring theme for decades....the minting of Morgans was seen as a favor to silver state politicians.  They circulated out West in the hundreds of thousands, but there were almost 87 million MSDs, even more than the Saints which at least got used in trade settlements.

The pics are really too blurry to tell much other than it may be a nice mid-grade MS coin with very few marks.  It's a common year/mark Morgan, so not a high value coin.  I would post better pics in a new topic.

Edited by EagleRJO

On 12/15/2022 at 7:49 PM, EagleRJO said:

The pics are really too blurry to tell much other than it may be a nice MS coin with very few marks.  I would post better pics in a new topic.

Smartphone set to maximum pixel resolution....about 12-24" away....angled at 30 degrees to avoid glare. 

The most important thing when taking phone pics is to stack up books or something to rest your hand on when taking the pic.  It makes a huge difference when zooming in on the pic.

Are you absolutely certain there even ARE ANY AU hard pack GSA Morgan’s, @EagleRJO? I swear I read somewhere that ALL of them are 60 and up. If it’s AU or worse, it’s in the GSA soft pack. All hard packs are supposed to be from BU canvas bags, no?

@VKurtB All of the genuine GSA CC hard packs/cases should have uncirculated coins, and the cases should be sealed (i.e. you can't open it like a modern US Mint set by twisting the case and getting a small screwdriver in between the front and back pieces, but they are not completely "tamper-proof").  There are three types of legit hard cases, as well as a "Soft Pack" (pic attached).

The only reason I mentioned possible rub marks and an AU grade is if it wasn't a genuine GSA hard case.  There have been some knock-offs floating around that have cases which can be opened with AU coins or counterfeit uncirculated coins in the cases, which is why I asked if the case opens.

GSA Morgan Dollar Holders.jpg

Edited by EagleRJO

On 12/17/2022 at 1:01 AM, EagleRJO said:

@VKurtB All of the genuine GSA CC hard packs/cases should have uncirculated coins, and the cases should be sealed (i.e. you can't open it like a modern US Mint set by twisting the case and getting a small screwdriver in between the front and back pieces, but they are not completely "tamper-proof").  There are three types of legit hard cases, as well as a "Soft Pack" (pic attached).

The only reason I mentioned possible rub marks and an AU grade is if it wasn't a genuine GSA hard case.  There have been some knock-offs floating around that have cases which can be opened with AU coins or counterfeit uncirculated coins in the cases, which is why I asked if the case opens.

GSA Morgan Dollar Holders.jpg

Great! I am getting up in years and I don’t always recall WHERE I read stuff but my retention of WHAT I read has always been good. It’s hell if I’m trying to do footnotes, but I can discuss. 

On 12/17/2022 at 1:49 PM, FTW said:

Thanks everyone for your comments. Trying to understand half of it to be honest.
The cases are completely sealed with no way to open, that’s why it’s hard to get a good photo. 

Never apologize for the lack of good photos. It’s VERY hard to accomplish. It takes unusual lenses and lighting equipment. 

On 12/15/2022 at 7:06 PM, FTW said:

What grade do you think this 1891 s Morgan would receive?

1891-S = Scrubbed EF.