• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A little something about Moritz Furst - Medal Designer aqnd Die Sinker

3 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

I noticed that this copy is from the Edness Wilkins papers. Here's a charming photo of Miss Wilkins from 1938 admiring her coin and medal collection which she housed in Wayte Raymond's National Coin Albums.

Edness Wilkins 1938.jpeg

Yep. It was taken by Treasury to help promote collecting commemorative halves and medals. She's looking at a quarter. She had some early US coins, but they were not something average people could relate to. (I used the same photo in one of my books, along with one of Dir Ross admiring tomatoes grown on her Eastern Shore, Maryland, farm.)

The Eastern Shore is also where Sinnock went to get help with his FDR dime design. Wilkins went with him and wrote one of the better first-hand accounts of collaboration between artists. (Included in the chapter on the FDR Dime in my new book Saudi Gold.)

Edited by RWB