• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sharing information
1 1

20 posts in this topic

On 7/21/2022 at 9:47 AM, RWB said:

One of the pleasures of a hobby is sharing information with others. Each of us have differing levels and details of interest, and exchanging information is an excellent means of meeting others through those interests. Over time the emphasis of any hobby evolves as more knowledge is gained and technology advances enable different kinds of communication. Back in the 1920s, amateur astronomy was built around grinding your own telescope mirrors, flats, and building equatorial mounts. Today most telescopes are bought ready-built but hobbyists array them with cooled digital cameras, spectrographs and other devices that would have amazed professionals just a few decades ago. Yet under all the surface changes, the sharing of information and ideas remains central. Coin collecting retains the same pleasures of sharing information with others at club meetings, message boards, and through publications.  I hope we will all remember that.

As an astronomer, I heartily second your post !! (thumbsu

On 7/21/2022 at 9:47 AM, RWB said:

Coin collecting retains the same pleasures of sharing information with others at club meetings, message boards, and through publications.

I wonder how active coin clubs are today compared to 25 and 50 years ago ?   I suspect activity is down alot...and I'll also bet that Zoom and other means of having meetings are on the rise.  My financial/investment group meets strictly by Zoom.

I've learned a ton from message forums, from the back-and-forth, even from what might appear to be petty disputes between stubborn individuals.  If you pay attention, there's usually some worth in any article, comment, or online post. (thumbsu

Would be interested in polls of the various online forums as to how active the members are in the hobby and what coins they both collect and/or have interest in (you might have interest in a coin but not able to afford it).  I'm a bit surprised at the paucity of posts and threads (our group here excepted) on gold coins (Liberty's and Saints).  I think the SERIOUS collectors are simply not online and not posting (which makes our friend EC here a pleasant surprise).  Look at how few owners of MCMVII High Reliefs -- many of whom are NOT coin collectors -- post or talk about how they got their coins (many inherited, I suspect).

Edited by GoldFinger1969

On 7/22/2022 at 10:47 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

I wonder how active coin clubs are today compared to 25 and 50 years ago ?   I suspect activity is down alot...and I'll also bet that Zoom and other means of having meetings are on the rise.  My financial/investment group meets strictly by Zoom.

I've learned a ton from message forums, from the back-and-forth, even from what might appear to be petty disputes between stubborn individuals.  If you pay attention, there's usually some worth in any article, comment, or online post. (thumbsu

Would be interested in polls of the various online forums as to how active the members are in the hobby and what coins they both collect and/or have interest in (you might have interest in a coin but not able to afford it).  I'm a bit surprised at the paucity of posts and threads (our group here excepted) on gold coins (Liberty's and Saints).  I think the SERIOUS collectors are simply not online and not posting (which makes our friend EC here a pleasant surprise).  Look at how few owners of MCMVII -- many of whom are NOT coin collectors -- post or talk about how they got their coins (many inherited, I suspect).

...local coin clubs took the internet, video games, smart phones hit as did many of the activities of 25-50 years ago e.g. board games, cards, home movies on n on...some collectable clubs such as stamps took even bigger hit, some other collectables died  ABP cut glass, depression glass, marbles on n on...in many cases old age, death n non-replacement members took their toll n interests change...no one collected mid century modern during the mid century...as for national coin clubs it seems their rolls have increased, perhaps coin collectors r more "invested" ?...sure u can learn anywhere if nothing else how to avoid other people's mistakes...forums r just that, chatty places, exchange comments maybe share collection info maybe not, some prefer not sharing what they possess, self included...serious collectors? some ur big gold buyers r serious but not collectors, just compare last 2 owners of the '33 SG...i do not fault either, admire both...i have collections n i have stand alone pieces that r missing in other collectors collections, bad person or astute investor?...strong believer in keep ur cards close to ur vest as Maverick would say....

On 7/22/2022 at 10:47 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

I think the SERIOUS collectors are simply not online and not posting (which makes our friend EC here a pleasant surprise).

There are, last I checked, 46 collectors who collect 🐓 on the Set Registry here; no more than 7 "over there."  Name me ONE "serious" collector (besides me) who has spoken up, besides me?...

Sorry, times up.

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Die polisjing: restore closing parenthesis.

Goldfinger is right. The incredibly vast majority of serious collectors wouldn’t be caught DEAD on an online message board. Not here, not ATS, and ESPECIALLY not CoinTalk. They won’t even talk in public about their collections. They won’t have anything delivered to their home mailing address. They use P.O. Boxes exclusively. 

Do not EVER EVER judge the popularity of any series based on Registry Sets. I’d be amazed if more than 2-3% of serious collectors even have all their best stuff slabbed at all, much less in a Registry Set. 

TRADERS like slabbed coins, and collectors who can’t grade like slabbed coins. Real numismatists largely do not. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 7/22/2022 at 8:21 AM, Quintus Arrius said:

There are, last I checked, 46 collectors who collect 🐓 on the Set Registry here; no more than 7 "over there."  Name me ONE "serious" collector (besides me) who has spoken up, besides me?...

Sorry, times up.

Funny I never thought of you as a serious collector. :devil:

On 7/22/2022 at 5:13 PM, VKurtB said:

Goldfinger is right. The incredibly vast majority of serious collectors wouldn’t be caught DEAD on an online message board. Not here, not ATS, and ESPECIALLY not CoinTalk. They won’t even talk in public about their collections. They won’t have anything delivered to their home mailing address. They use P.O. Boxes exclusively. 

Do not EVER EVER judge the popularity of any series based on Registry Sets. I’d be amazed if more than 2-3% of serious collectors even have all their best stuff slabbed at all, much less in a Registry Set. 

TRADERS like slabbed coins, and collectors who can’t grade like slabbed coins. Real numismatists largely do not. 

You see know how to hurt a guy!

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Die polishing: korrecting spelchek.

On 7/22/2022 at 7:53 PM, Coinbuf said:

Funny I never thought of you as a serious collector. :devil:

My sixteen-coin series does not formally recognize hits, runs  errors, varieties or oddities. And I insist on the Sheldon Scale of grading to their ever-lasting annoyance.

....The incredibly vast majority of serious collectors wouldn’t be caught DEAD on an online message board. Not here, not ATS, and ESPECIALLY not CoinTalk. They won’t even talk in public about their collections. They won’t have anything delivered to their home mailing address. They use P.O. Boxes exclusively....
Do not EVER EVER judge the popularity of any series based on Registry Sets. I’d be amazed if more than 2-3% of serious collectors even have all their best stuff slabbed at all, much less in a Registry.

All have broken @RWB's.Cardinal Rule #1:  They will leave for their heirs, if any, a collection of coins, some old, some new, some common, some rare, some copper, silver, gold with all the colors of the rainbow mixed in, and not a clue as to what they have, how much they're worth--and most importantly, what to do or where to go with them. It may be time for me to let my wife know the difference between a loupe and a cantaloupe.  :makepoint: doh! :facepalm:

On 7/22/2022 at 8:15 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

My sixteen-coin series does not formally recognize hits, runs  errors, varieties or oddities. And I insist on the Sheldon Scale of grading to their ever-lasting annoyance.

...yea but does it recognize fowl balls?....

...absolutely correct...registry sets r not indicators of much of anything, i for instance usually enter my number 2 coins in my registry sets n my stand alone coins id never slab, the coins speak for themselves n do not need slabbing....

On 7/23/2022 at 7:09 AM, zadok said:

...absolutely correct...registry sets r not indicators of much of anything, i for instance usually enter my number 2 coins in my registry sets n my stand alone coins id never slab, the coins speak for themselves n do not need slabbing....

That's easy for you to say. My wife would want to know why my raw roosters are not being accepted by candy vending machines. :whatthe:  

On 7/23/2022 at 8:25 AM, Quintus Arrius said:

That's easy for you to say. My wife would want to know why my raw roosters are not being accepted by candy vending machines. :whatthe:  

You just need to find the right machines. 

On 7/22/2022 at 10:40 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

As an astronomer, I heartily second your post !! (thumbsu

Lemme find out your late-model Chevy Corvette is a space ship and you use your spare time cruising the galaxies!.  :roflmao:

On 7/22/2022 at 8:32 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

All have broken @RWB's.Cardinal Rule #1:  They will leave for their heirs, if any, a collection of coins, some old, some new, some common, some rare, some copper, silver, gold with all the colors of the rainbow mixed in, and not a clue as to what they have, how much they're worth--and most importantly, what to do or where to go with them. It may be time for me to let my wife know the difference between a loupe and a cantaloupe.  :makepoint: doh! :facepalm:

But there is a beauty in that as some, not many, will take the time to learn and may even enhance a collection. The majority will lose out and sell as quick as they can. Thus the first question out of their mouth - how much is it worth or is it rare and worth a lot. There is a steep learning curve for those that want to pursue the hobby, even with a mentor. Some choose to go it alone and make mistakes, but learn from them - hopefully.

On 7/24/2022 at 9:44 AM, Zebo said:

But there is a beauty in that as some, not many, will take the time to learn and may even enhance a collection. The majority will lose out and sell as quick as they can. Thus the first question out of their mouth - how much is it worth or is it rare and worth a lot. There is a steep learning curve for those that want to pursue the hobby, even with a mentor. Some choose to go it alone and make mistakes, but learn from them - hopefully.

My sister, about as old as I am, viewed my Roosters on-line, and her only comment, after I pored thru all the disappointing APB's and BOLOS's that came to night was:

"How come you didn't collect Angels? [the series that preceded Roosters.]

I'd've been better off asking @RWB to scrap the voluminous research files an adopting a litter of black kittens, instead.   :roflmao:

On 7/24/2022 at 2:30 AM, Quintus Arrius said:

Lemme find out your late-model Chevy Corvette is a space ship and you use your spare time cruising the galaxies!.  :roflmao:

Only Tesla Roadsters log space trips.