• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fake or real
1 1

11 posts in this topic

Checking before I buy. If is fake what is it that let you know  I tried to compare with pictures of a real on I'm not seeing it. I feel like it not. But don't know why.

Screenshot_20220720-201711_Mercari.jpg

Screenshot_20220720-201727_Mercari.jpg

Doesn’t look right to me either, specifically details of the tail feathers compared to the detail of the shield and messy beads on the obverse crown and bad complexion on her left cheek. Imho

On 7/20/2022 at 9:06 PM, Patman54 said:

Ok but why do you say that 

We try not to reveal details to counterfeiters. I do recommend going over to PCGS COIN FACTS and looking at genuine examples and compare them to this one. 

The size and shape of the "CC" mintmark is all wrong, as well as the polished out looking areas at the bridge of Liberty's nose, the eagle's wings, and the border beads.  Many of the other fine details are weak, whereas on genuine specimens they are sharp and crisp.  The color looks wrong as well.  This is an obvious counterfeit or replica.

Go to any large coin auctions company and find a photo of a genuine 1890-CC double eagle. Compare with this "coin."