• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Explaination for thin or tapered coins

2 posts in this topic

This is one of the clearest US Mint explanations for the cause of thin and tapered coins.

Office of U. S. Assistant Treasurer

New York

July 1, 1873

Hon James Pollock,

Superintendent of the Mint

Sir:

The enclosed half dollar piece was found in a bag of silver coins of the same denomination received from the Mint. You will notice that it is not of the usual thickness, and this depreciation in weight below the standard is over 20 percent. I am unable to explain as similar pieces have never been noticed before, and take the liberty of returning it for examination, with the request that a similar piece of full weight be returned for it.

Very Respectfully,

M. S. Hillhouse, Asst Tr. U.S.

Mint of the United States

Coiner’s Department

Philadelphia

July 2, 1873

Hon. James Pollock

Superintendent, U.S. Mint

Sir:

The light half dollar returned from the Asst. Treasurer’s Office, New York, is the result of an accident which annoys me very much.

I account for it by the supposition that the cutter, by neglect, cut toward the point of the strip (rendered thin by the pointing roll for the drawbench) instead of cutting from the point. As a result he cut a planchet from an unadjusted portion of the fillet, and as we are not adjusting silver by hand, it was not discovered in any subsequent operation.

It is only another evidence that with the greatest care accidents will happen.

Regretting the occurrence very much,

I remain Very Truly yours,

/s/ A. Loudon Snowden, Coiner

Edited by RWB