• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another fake ?

7 posts in this topic

Saw this on ebay from experienced seller with 100% rating, I dont know much about these coins but looked at other examples and this one appears suspect, any input is appreciated. thanks jimbo  All photos are sellers,

s-l1600 (25).jpg

s-l1600 (26).jpg

s-l1600 (27).jpg

Edited by jimbo27

On 7/16/2022 at 12:48 AM, jimbo27 said:

Saw this on ebay from experienced seller with 100% rating, I dont know much about these coins but looked at other examples and this one appears suspect, any input is appreciated. thanks jimbo  All photos are sellers,

s-l1600 (25).jpg

s-l1600 (26).jpg

s-l1600 (27).jpg

It looks cast to me. There is no way I would consider buying this coin, based on this picture, I don’t care what the sellers recommendation is. If you can’t hold it in your hand. Here is an actual counterfeit fro HA. Proving many counterfeits for this coin exist. An MS63 example was sold for nearly 200k. This coin looks grainy and the details are too good, imo.

3DD2A3EB-F33F-42FE-97D9-32D420067158.jpeg

Thanks Mr.Bill for the infomation, but the coin you have is different from what I am showing. I had no intensions of buying this coin, just trying to determine if it is fake.

Edited by jimbo27

Fake, and don't be fooled by perfect or near perfect feedback on fleebay.   Sellers can have negative feedback removed, and there are lots of sellers with great feedback that sell tons of garbage to people that have no idea that they have been taken who leave glowing feedback on the junk they buy.

An obvious fake for many reasons including the following: Early U.S. silver dollars (1794-1803) have lettered edges reading "HUNDRED CENTS ONE DOLLAR OR UNIT" with the words separated by stars, not a reeded edge as shown in your photos!  (The photo provided by Mr. Bill is of a Flowing Hair Dollar, not the Draped Bust type also coined with the 1795 date which the replica you're inquiring about purports to be.)  Before you even think about buying coins in this price range (several thousand dollars nowadays), you need to learn what genuine ones look like!  Check out the NGC Coin Explorer, PCGS Coinfacts or the sites of reputable dealers (such as Professional Numismatists Guild members) for photos and descriptions of genuine coins. Better yet, look at certified pieces at coin shows or shops.

I'll amend what I said previously to note that there are decorative circles and rectangles between the words on the edges of these coins, not "stars" as I wrote in haste.