• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1776 Continental Currency Real or Fake

10 posts in this topic

Had this coin since childhood as a gift from my grandfather. It weighs 16 grams and measures 36mm in diameter. After all the comparison to fakes I think I may have a replica due to diameter and unsure if it was struck verses cast. It also appears to have a silver plating that has worn off over the years. 

ED1920E0-B8C7-41F3-A7BC-D7E9525462BC.jpeg

FB9833D8-140D-49C1-89BB-FED383DC0D1B.jpeg

On 9/22/2022 at 6:49 PM, ScopeGuardPony said:

Gonna pop in here with one of my own, as it was found when we popped open my stepfather's fireproof safe and it was in a little coin container.

That one is special, but not in a good way. It might be the worst replica/fake I've yet seen. Not even slightly suspicion-raising, much less convincing.

I have not seen very many of these so I'm curious what the key indicators of a cast counterfeit are. The lack of detail and the "mushy" appearance, without apparent significant genuine wear, that appears to be the case for both of these?

The most common tells are a granular, sometimes pitted, surface, and evidence of a casting sprue around the rim. Beyond that, I recommend you look at pictures on this site and others to get a feel for how a genuine example should look. Many of us on here shy away from giving too much detail on how to determine if a coin is a counterfeit. We believe that counterfeiters frequent chat boards to get clues about how to be improve their craft.

On 9/23/2022 at 4:36 PM, DWLange said:

This is a good place to see how the real ones look, and the differences will become obvious to you:

https://www.ngccoin.com/coin-explorer/united-states/post-colonial-period-1776-1820/continental-dollars/

Like night and day, thanks.

Edited by EagleRJO