• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Famous Morgan dollar collections
1 1

46 posts in this topic

On 7/16/2022 at 7:28 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Nope...and I can't name any Penny, Nickel, Dime, Quarter, or other collections, too. (thumbsu

Either a collectio is all-encompassing or it focuses on Saints or 1804 and earlier dollars or something like that....or the collector remains anonymous.

Only generalists with high value collections are well known even within collecting.  Forum members or those who otherwise actively engage might know for specific series.

I can name "famous" collections from Latin or South Africa coinage.  Over 99% of the collector base has never heard of these people, with a not much lower percentage probably not knowing most of the coins even exist.

The only way to answer your question would be to cheat and review the Top Five collections as presently compiled by Set Registrants. There've got to be a few interspersed among the others in there somewhere. I have taken the liberty of checking out Chopper One's wares on the Lincoln Head spread and must admit I found it to be downright intimidating. A lustrous copper cent is a thing to behold. Red trumps brown in my book. (I have a few MS-67's but the best 🐓 I have--which is not even in my collection--is a gorgeous MS-64+.)  Maybe J.P. Morgan, or his progeny, should have compiled the best of the best.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Can anyone mention any "famous Morgan dollar collections?" (Real collection, not hoards of bags.) I recall only a couple....

The Jack Lee Collections (he assembled a second after selling the first) were quite memorable, and his Morgans soldier on as top point getters in other collectors' registry sets.

On 7/17/2022 at 11:55 AM, DWLange said:

The Jack Lee Collections (he assembled a second after selling the first) were quite memorable, and his Morgans soldier on as top point getters in other collectors' registry sets.

I think I heard of that collection, Dave.  When was Lee active in collecting ?

On 7/16/2022 at 4:28 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Nope...and I can't name any Penny, Nickel, Dime, Quarter, or other collections, too. (thumbsu

Either a collection is all-encompassing or it focuses on Saints or 1804 and earlier dollars or something like that....or the collector remains anonymous.

Stewart Blay has an incredible Lincoln cent collection including the finest graded Lincoln cent, his 1919 MS69RD is fabulous.

1919.webp

On 7/17/2022 at 5:23 PM, Coinbuf said:

Stewart Blay has an incredible Lincoln cent collection including the finest graded Lincoln cent, his 1919 MS69RD is fabulous.

Is that the young kid I read about last year ?

On 7/18/2022 at 8:00 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Is that the young kid I read about last year ?

I'm an educated man but I have no way of knowing who (or what) you read about last year. ;)   However, I know of no "kids" who own a Lincoln set that include the single highest graded Lincoln cent coin.   I have never met Mr. Blay myself so I cannot say how old he is, but I'm very certain that he is not a kid.

Edited by Coinbuf

On 7/18/2022 at 11:08 AM, World Colonial said:

No, long-time poster (off and on) on the PCGS forum.

I think going by all the CAC stickers that he was some guy in his 40's or younger which I remember since collecting pennies for a nice price stands out.

On 7/18/2022 at 4:04 PM, Coinbuf said:

I have never met Mr. Blay myself so I cannot say how old he is, but I'm very certain that he is not a kid.

What I meant was I think he was RELATIVELY young....in his 40's...and maybe started in his 20's or 30's.

I recall virtually all the coins were CAC.

On 7/21/2022 at 8:28 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

I recall virtually all the coins were CAC.

[You are making it very difficult for me to maintain my apparently baseless hard stance against CAC christenings.]  (worship)

On 7/21/2022 at 10:52 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

[You are making it very difficult for me to maintain my apparently baseless hard stance against CAC christenings.]  (worship)

...if ur roosters were hens u would become a CACkle believer...just watch out for the wooden eggs....

On 7/22/2022 at 8:36 AM, zadok said:

...if ur roosters were hens u would become a CACkle believer...just watch out for the wooden eggs....

I wish I could laugh.  I am a Virgo.  I demand the best.  My collection is "comple" elsewhere.  Bit is NOT the "best."  I have accepted the fact that I am an abject failure.  🐓 

On 7/22/2022 at 9:02 AM, Quintus Arrius said:

I wish I could laugh.  I am a Virgo.  I demand the best.  My collection is "comple" elsewhere.  Bit is NOT the "best."  I have accepted the fact that I am an abject failure.  🐓 

...big diff between complete n finished...u could have chosen Spartacus rather than QA....